Flying in to Oshkosh

Finally got online here after a busy last week.........

Had a blast in OSH- I landed on 36L and got to follow a tri-motor in and right after I touched down, ATC told me there was an F-15 on my tail!!
However this was the second year in a row where there was some cells along my proposed route. In fact- coming back home approaching BAE the clouds were building up more and getting darker towards Southern Wisconsin. I was getting a little worried. A quick call to FSS let me know that there no cells in my path AND my stormscope was clear hmmm
my instincts told me otherwise- an immediate diversion was needed either to MSN or JVL. Seeing as how it was after 10pm and most class C apts have fuel 24/7 and other services- I chose the former and breathed a sigh of relief!! A look at the radar on the ground told me that a cell had indeed just formed just W of ENW which was right along my proposed route of flight! These type of flights make you stronger and more confident -knowing you made the right decision!

other highlights at OSH:
Partying with the raptor pilots and some members of ATC after the seaplanebase BBQ in the beertent
seeing/hearing[earplugs required lol] the raptor do some impressive vertical climbs etc.....
Meeting Popaviator and hanging out with him and his friends and then sitting at the table next to Hoover and John/Martha King- geez they are short! lol
Telling some ATC guys how well they do their job at OSH each and every year- it is MUCH appreciated by us pilots!
Seeing Travolta in his 707........
Witnessing the Dreamliner taking off/landing and marveling at it's girth!
Meeting the guys in Foreigner/Boston[great show guys!]

Thanks so much to everyone there that I met/hung out with.
I was very sad going home, I'll miss you guys and will see you all in 2009!

PS- to anyone flying in there next year- if they are using 27/36 for landing- request 27, you will spend about 10min LESS for taxiing!

Peter

Back