Flying Club in Formation VS Continuing at a flight school.

thepedroid

I haven’t made another official I’m back post again since I have done it so many times. This time I really am back at it and am training consistently for the first time since starting to fly in 2013! I’ve logged about 19 hours since Nov 1st and am flying 4-5 days per week as long as nothing breaks the schedule.

The school I am attending currently is EXCELLENT. Great instructors, awesome atmosphere, clean and very well maintained 172’s (three total, 2 G1000 and one 6 pack). I often study in their conference room and can ask all the questions I want. I have no complaints at all about the school aside from the cost since there is sales tax as well as city of Scottsdale ”Rental” taxes, and City of Scottsdale “flight training” tax.

I plan on continuing to finish my PPL with my current school for sure,however another option has presented itself and I wanted to gather opinions.

Essentially it is a new flight club in formation. Buy in is $1000 ($750 refundable if you sell your share to a new member). $125 monthly dues. $95 per hour dry, roughly comes out to about 150 per hour wet based on fuel prices at SDL for a very clean 2004 Arrow. All in all, it comes out to about $30 per hour less than the flight school. I guess my concern is switching flight instructors again to use one of the club instructors (which hasn’t been selected).

WWYD?

$30 x 200.
Plus eff city tax and eff encroaching municipal fingers.

At the end of the day, you’ll pass a flight test. Your CFI helps you get there, they’ll all help you get there.

I've slightly considered doing the club for solo time and using the flight school for training. Not sure if it would hinder me bouncing back and forth between an arrow and a 172 or just make me that more rounded of a pilot.

CLUB! Reason being, once you get your ppl you are going to want to go places. I don't even want to go from SDL to Tucson in a 172 much less to San Diego or Vegas. The other reason is that the instructor may have a cheaper rate. The other, other reason is that if the club isn't terrible, then they may add aircraft.

The downside is that if the club administration is terrible or if the maintenance is dubious you're throwing money away.

Established club is probably the way to go, founding a club has its own risks
This is my biggest concern. The club isn’t in operation yet and currently only has 7 confirmed members (I would be the 8th). They want me to join as with my training, i would easily contribute most of the monthly minimum rental requirement for the leaseback.

So the club will have one plane?

I’d stay with the school if you want to keep down time to a minimum. Currently you have 3 planes, so if one goes down for mx, you have another option.

What happens when your club plain goes down for something for a week or two?

The sweet spot is finding an established club with one or two airplanes and some rules in a book but not the size of the CFR.
I would be apprehensive starting one on a leased aircraft, since funds at the beginning will be tight and unexpected maintenance will probably result in more dues assessment from members until you have more cash on hand.

The only downside to clubs are the members. If you find one where the pilots are conscientious and current, you're less likely to run into issues like some guy that flies 15hr a year who decided to swing around to push back into the tie down and smashed the leading edge on a 182 propeller and now the whole thing needs to be replaced for 19 grand right during the holidays. (Ask me how I know)

Most of the guys that were in the initial meeting had more time than me, but I was the most current with my recent training. I am starting to think that the risks outweigh the benefits since the club is in formation. That and really, I would prefer something more like www.phoenixflyers.com that has even cheaper planes and multiple aircraft. The idea of a taildragger club would be awesome but there just aren’t any here in phoenix that i know of.

I change what I said. Stick with Seirracharlie. I’ve known the owner for a long time. We were in the Marine Corps together and I taught him a little, towards his PPL.

Great dude, and great school.

I didn’t want to mention the name of the school at first because I didn’t want that to be a factor in the responses but I agree, it really is a great school. I have never heard anything bad about them and I did a ton of research. I think my decision is made. I’ll stick with Sierra Charlie through PPL and likely IFR. At that point, I may consider a more established club that will let me have more freedom to go where I want.

One of the reason's I changed my mind is knowing the owner personally. He has extensive experience outside of CFIing. To me, that is important in primary training. He can tell you a story of "why" you are doing that particular maneuver, more so than "because it's in the PTS, (or whatever its called now...)

Although, tell him to man up and get a taildragger already...

I read the shortened title as “flying Cub in formation vs...” and I was going to say it doesn’t matter what the other option is, flying a Cub in formation is the right answer.

Good luck with your search!
Me too, flying a cub in formation sounds like a lot more fun than flight school.

One of the reason's I changed my mind is knowing the owner personally. He has extensive experience outside of CFIing. To me, that is important in primary training. He can tell you a story of "why" you are doing that particular maneuver, more so than "because it's in the PTS, (or whatever its called now...)

Although, tell him to man up and get a taildragger already...
I wish I could say I am training with Scott but he is busy with a lot right now. My instructor there has been pretty awesome!

Back