Flying and Storms?

When you do most of your flight training in Florida, you learn real quick about thunderstorms. The most interesting story I've got is heading back towards Daytona one day amongst "happy" cumulus clouds. In less that 3 minutes, one of those "happy" cu's became an "angry" cu, directly in front of us. No lie, you could literally see the thing grow and morph into a thunderstorm right before your eyes. We got a vector just as we entered the cloud and started getting ROCKED. Thankfully we exited in short order.

[ QUOTE ]
If anybody has done such a thing in a tiny general aviation airplane, they probably realize it was a very stupid thing or aren't alive to tell about it right now!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

When you fly frieght you just pull the straps tight and try to find an spot that looks look less ugly. Atleast in jets you have enough speed that a devation of 150 miles won't cost you that much time. Also, gotta watch for hail more when flying in the flight levels. If you're lucky you will be flyng something with big motors like a lear that will allow you to top the storms.

The worst I've ever been in was going in to Jackson, MS. We clipped the side of what we later determined to be a level five while trying to shoot the ILS. First time I've seen the controls hit the pitch stops in flight trying to maintain the GS.

Back