First wave of layoffs for Lynx Aviation today

CRJDriver

First wave of layoffs for Lynx Aviation today
Lynx's extinction begins this month with the grounding of six planes and about 200 layoffs. The subsidiary of Frontier will be a thing of the past by September.
By The Denver Post

The dismantling of Lynx Aviation begins in earnest today with the first major wave of employee layoffs and three planes taken out of service.

Created in 2007 as a regional feeder to Frontier Airlines, Lynx will cease to exist by September.

Officials for Frontier's new owner, Republic Airways, said passengers prefer small jets to turboprops, the carrier wasn't big enough to make the bottom line work and it made more sense to maintain just two types of aircraft.

"People are a bit down today," said one Lynx employee who didn't want to be identified because he wants to keep his job as long as he can. "Pilots have been turning in their books. It's tough."

Republic is pulling three of Lynx's 11 Bombardier Q400 turboprops from service today. They will be replaced with Embraer 170 and 190 jets flown by Republic pilots.

Three more Q400s will be removed from service April 19. Those six, which are owned by Republic, will be sold. By September, the Lynx brand will have been phased out, but the remaining five planes are expected to remain in service.

About half of Lynx's 400 employees will be laid off this month.

Airline spokeswoman Lindsey Purves said Monday that layoffs stood at 67.

"However, we do anticipate many openings for our Lynx team members at both Frontier and Republic," Purves said.

A few already have accepted those positions.

Employees said they plan a potluck today to gather before co-workers scatter.

Service will continue to nine of Lynx's 11 current destinations. Two cities — Fargo, N.D., and Tulsa, Okla. — will be removed from the route map today.

"The continued dedication of our team, given the circumstances, is truly remarkable and it's something these Lynx team members can take with them and be proud of the rest of their lives," Lynx president Cam Kenyon said in a statement.

"We were able to pull traffic from areas and feed that into Denver," said Jenn McKnight, a 10-year employee who is manager of technical publications.

But late 2007 was an unfortunate time to start an airline, with the recession and then-parent company Frontier forced into bankruptcy, McKnight said.

"Without (Frontier's) bankruptcy, the future would have been bright for Lynx," McKnight said. "This is a sad reality, but I think there are good things out there for our people."

Lynx at a glance
Fleet: 11 Bombardier Q400 turboprops
Seating capacity: 74 per plane
Destinations: 11
Interim president: Cameron Kenyon
Employees: 400, including 120 pilots and 110 flight attendants
Tail designs: Baby versions of Frontier's animals

Chronology
Dec. 7, 2007: Passenger operations begin
Oct. 1, 2009: Acquired by Republic Airways
Feb. 4, 2010: Republic announces it will use small jets on Lynx routes

Read more: http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_14825640#ixzz0kQgfxSuK

yup we had one of our afternoon flights switch to an E190 today, OKC will be all E190's on the 19th.

I'm not familiar with the Lynx route structure, but I assume they're somewhat short and in high terrain. How are the 170/90s gonna fare on those routes compared with the Q?

sucks for the Lynx guys and its awesome for the Republic guys?

I dunno, does this make the Republic pilots pseudo-scabs when they fly these lines?

Does it make them scabs for MidEx too?

probably.
What picket line did they cross?

If the answer is none, then stop with the scab and/or pseudo-scab names. Find something else to call them...(another name for a hooker), or something. Of course, that name applies to all of us, so look in the mirror as you say it!!:beer:

What picket line did they cross?

If the answer is none, then stop with the scab and/or pseudo-scab names. Find something else to call them...(another name for a hooker), or something. Of course, that name applies to all of us, so look in the mirror as you say it!!:beer:

If they're scabs, then so are illegal aliens coming into this country and taking jobs here. But I don't see the term scab being thrown in that direction so easily.

If they're scabs, then so are illegal aliens coming into this country and taking jobs here. But I don't see the term scab being thrown in that direction so easily.

you are right, they aren't scabs. you also right in the comparison between illegals under cutting legal workers and republic employees under cutting the wages of midwest and frontier.

maybe we should call republic employees some of the terms used for illegals?

a republic number. wow. that's much better for them than an actual, paying job.

They...do have a job? Republic is starting to hire the guys that they let go from class 2 years ago, I think everybody is back except for the Midwest guys eh?

Lynx pilots are given the option to interview at Republic, but it comes with a 2 year contract! Friend of mine just interviewed and got hired with RAH. He is furloughed Lynx.

The Lynx guys are now on the Republic list eh?

No need for outrage.

Really? Where did you get that fact? They are not on their list at all, the SLI between, RAH (teamsters), MidEx (Alpa), Frontier (FAPA), and Lynx (UTU), are underway. The next and hopefully final meetings are the end of may, and the arbitrator has 60 days to come up with a SLI solution. Talk about a cluster.

There is need for an outrage, it is outrageous how the people are running RAH. The CEO claims that passengers prefer Jets over the Q400. To be honest, I don't think they care! If the fare is the right price, they are going to buy a ticket. If people don't like the Q400, how come Horizon does so well? How come Colgan is going to be flying more aircraft? It is an outrage, and it sucks.

And for the routes, I would be willing to bet that RAH is going to dump the ASE market, one of the most profitable routes in the world. The E-Jet doesn't even compare to what the Q can do in STOL situations.

Lynx guys do NOT have a RAH number, they are furloughed with a Frontier / Lynx number. RAH has offered positions for the pilots, but you must sign a 2 year contract, which is BS for the people who have fulfilled their contract at Lynx. There is also a rumor that signing on with RAH , you loose your recall rights once the SLI is complete.

Scabs? Well people who through that word around usually don't understand what it means. You must have crossed a line to be a scab. I DO NOT AGREE with what the RAH pilots are doing, with respect to their lack of fighting with management through the use of their union. They are however, replacing the MidEx routes with their "Regional Aircraft," and they are attempting to fly all of the Lynx routes.

Quite sad if you ask me.

This is the problem with the internet, conflicting facts.

So is it an interview or an integration? I'll assume integration and I'll assume you worked over at Lynx, Q4.

And if the integration works out, and the Lynx guys keep their jobs, then why any outrage?

Pilots get angry when things change. Things have changed. Pilots are now angry because of it. I don't know if it's necessary.

Back