Finding a life partner?

Snow

'Not a new member'
I guess this is just a question to ask how hard is the dating sceen when your a pilot who's gone 1/2 the time. Sure you have your days off, but it must take a somewhat more commited person to want to marry a professional pilot.

I probably worry too much but I have visions of me being 30 somthing, flying for a major airline and still being single. Any you people who fly for a living care to share your experences?

Thanks,

I'm married but I know plenty of single airline pilots. I think that dating is very tough, especially when you are junior and can't hold a line with weekends off.

I know one captain that said he gets on internet singles sites to meet women, but when they hear that he is an airline captain, they usually only see $$$. Now he tells them that he is a heavy equipment operator.

[ QUOTE ]
Now he tells them that he is a heavy equipment operator.

[/ QUOTE ]
Haha. Well, he's not exactly lying.
grin.gif

You know what's ironic is Joe Millionare actually was as heavy equipment operator.

[ QUOTE ]
I know one captain that said he gets on internet singles sites to meet women, but when they hear that he is an airline captain, they usually only see $$$. Now he tells them that he is a heavy equipment operator.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup - when people ask doug what he does for a living, he just tells them that he's a bus driver - it's less complicated and he doesn't get barraded with the questions he used to... nor did people change their view of him cuz of the "pilot = $$" viewpoint everyone seems to have....

it's not easy dating a pilot - and it takes both people to make it work cuz the girl has to understand that it'll be an on/off type dating cuz when you pilots are gone, your really gone and us girls need to be dependent on our own again... that's what i think makes it the most difficult. for instance, when i come home - doug knows that i'll be "burly" for a day because i have to switch from kristie "wise independent woman who takes care of herself" to the other kristie "happily married, husband at home" and i know that he needs his first day as his "off/recoup" day where i'm not to give him anything to do... so it goes both ways!

the trick is to find the girl who looks upon a challenging relationship as a "good thing" and one who likes to live spontaneously, go with the flow (not so serious all the time)... cuz that usually always helps make it work!

When I was down the pub the other year with some pilots, one mentioned a story about this one girl.

He meet her in a pub and was talking. She asked him what he did, and he replied he worked with aluminum tubing, she turned around and said, well you could have made up something that sounds better like a pilot.

I tell folks that I'm a poet!

You should see the reaction!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
When I was down the pub the other year with some pilots, one mentioned a story about this one girl.

He meet her in a pub and was talking. She asked him what he did, and he replied he worked with aluminum tubing, she turned around and said, well you could have made up something that sounds better like a pilot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that is just classic! Hmmm, Doug as a poet, that could be interesting lol.

[ QUOTE ]
Any you people who fly for a living care to share your experences?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, not really, but there are plenty of pilots, single, who are looking for partners.

Funny thing is when male pilots get around women they talk about airplanes, and when they get around airplanes they talk about women.

This is why (in my never humble opinion) every airport resturant has the "Single guy table"

Another place to try is Here, many like minded people.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thats funny.
[ QUOTE ]
I tell folks that I'm a poet!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hehehehe.
[ QUOTE ]
pilot = $$

[/ QUOTE ]
True very true.

James I cant really give you any advice but all I can say is there is always someone out there for you. But it will be hard to find someone who likes you for you not for the $$$ you earn (or will earn). All i can say is good luck. And like Iain said "dont tell them that you are a pilot" (something along those lines). I say pretend you an average joe. Working an average job and going to an average school. If she isnt a gold diger she would most likely stay with you. If she is then she will leave you to go hunt bigger fish. You cant always pick a girl just because she is good looking you have to get to know them better. and think this to yourself
1.Would I want to put up with this for the rest of my life?
2.Is she loyal
3.Do i have any feelings toward her (other then her boobs are nice)
4.Give your self hard questions. If she doesnt pass the test then she is not worth it.

I'm not really afraid of telling someone I'm a pilot in bar because of the pilots + booze stigma, but mostly because I don't want to give "The Speech".

"The Speech" is what I consider when you find yourself at a party or social function and someone finds out that you're a pilot. They invariably ask the same questions of which my brain goes into "auto-answer/auto-speech" mode and my eyes glaze over.

My side of the conversation is like this:

"Yeah, for Delta? Six years, total? Well, I started back in 1987 so thats uhhh 16 years"

"No"

"Civilian -- uhh, a regional pilot"

"Puddlejumpers"

"Skyway"

"Midwest Express Connection"

"Milwaukee"

"No, California"

"Fresno"

"Never"

"Nope, she's a civil engineer"

"Florida"

"The Internet"

"Dallas"

"No, it changes, but some months like this one, it's the same six cities"

"Nah"

"Whatever dude, more like the Holiday Inn near an office park"

"Actually more than a 40 hour work week. I'm gone for almost 300 hours this month"

"Yeah, but we're only paid for about 70 of those ('what a dick')"

"Domestic"

"Nah, the Mrs controls the passes"

"Nope"

"That's just in the movies"

"Old enough to be my mom"

"Ahem, flight attendants"

"Well, I usually think they're here to save your ass, not kiss it"

"I dunno"

"Back in the old days of the pillbox cap and passengers that didn't wear flip flops, 'Black Dog' caps and ticket prices were appropriate"

"Yeah"

"Nice talking to you too"

heres what my discussion would have looked like

So whats your career?
I fly for an airline
Are you a pilot?
yes. (my mind: DUH!!!!!!)
How much they pay you? A million?
uhhh noo. 30,000.
I thought pilots get a lot of $$$
No not really.
You dont work a lot do you?
Yes I do.
Well I heard that pilots...
Never mind what you heard.
how long youve been working
uhh I dont know.
You think your better then me? Huh? You think your mr pilot since you dont have to work so much?

*braking of beer bottles over her head followed*
*Bam
Kazaam
Swoosh
Squash
owwww.

Nah, I'm not really a violent guy but probably the only questions/statements that piss me off to the point that I've considered throttling someone's neck are:

(a) You're not drunk, are ya?
(b) Ya'll outta business yet?
(c) $300,000 per year and you only work 12 hours a month? (where do I sign up for THAT job!)
(d) Do you and the flight attendants get together (in clear earshot of my wife)
(e) Nearly about anything else. haha!

[ QUOTE ]
but probably the only questions/statements that piss me off to the point that I've considered throttling someone's neck are:

(c) $300,000 per year and you only work 12 hours a month? (where do I sign up for THAT job!)

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah funny,
before I retired I would work anywhere from 48 to 72 hours a week, all away from home, etc etc..

I would get all the time..
Wow what did you do work 10 days this month? hahahaha.

Um no I worked 14. And they are 25 hour shifts. (not counting flying trips..)

but that is impossible, no one works 25 hours strait.

I do.

but that is 350 hours a month.

Yes it is.

and the other fav...

what do you mean you are retiring when you are 38, that's BS

Maybe, why don't I call you during my next shift and we can discuss it. will you be home at 3:15 am?

of course, but I will be sleeping

I won't I'll be working... we'll chat then..

no don't call me in the middle of the night..

So on so on...

Eagle your 38? Well if you are I give you props on an early retirement. nearly everu one dreams of one but only around 5% get what they want. I want to retire early to. Thats why I have been monitiring evrything from businesses to stock market politicians everything i could get my hands on. So when the time is right to invest again I will have a good disicion.

[ QUOTE ]
"Nope, she's a civil engineer"

"Florida"

"The Internet"

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I'm reading into that a little too much, but are you saying you met Kirstie on the internet?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Another place to try is Here, many like minded people.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um.. Eagle why did you give me a link to the National Gay Pilot's Association? I don't know weither your trying to be helpful, insult me or leting me know about your sexuality which quite frankly I'd rather not know.

[ QUOTE ]
Eagle your 38? Well if you are I give you props on an early retirement. nearly everu one dreams of one but only around 5% get what they want. I want to retire early to.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm....I think he meant from the services...but I could be wrong.

Back