Fighter jet makes emergency landing at Oklahoma City airport

Re: Fighter jet makes emergency landing at Oklahoma City air

There's the one DC-3 sitting on display in front of the tech college on the NW side of the field, then there is FAA's N34, a DC-3 that used to be for flight check. It used to be at the FAA hangar on the west side of OKC, but now resides in the west hangar at the 137th. I got to climb through the thing a few months ago.

The FAA had that aircraft at Oshkosh last year. Was interesting talking to them about it.

Depending on the problem he had, if the EPU (emergency power unit) fired in flight then it becomes a hazmat situation because it runs on hydrazine. You don't want to get near that stuff. Could explain the long delay. Also, they don't use any old towbar that you can find at an FBO. Many explanations for not moving it immediately.

I was waiting for someone to bring that up.

I'll give you a hint as to where to find MikeD's picture: there's an entire site at JetCareers outside of the Forums... :beer:

Man it took you just as long to type all of that up and insert the nice little drinking buddies emoticon as it would've to just give me a link to the pic. Making me find it myself on the site serves absolutely no purpose other than informing me that you know where it is and that I don't. And yes I know there is a 'rest of the site' outside the forums.
I work 50 hours a week at a crappy job slinging BBQ and didn't want to have to waste my free time looking for photos that one of my peers could 'pay forward' to me...
Rant over>

Now if we could just get MikeD to post a pic of his real mugshot so we knew which face we were blindly trusting!... I still think he probably looks like Jake Busey!

He very much does not look like Gary Busey :)

Depending on the problem he had, if the EPU (emergency power unit) fired in flight then it becomes a hazmat situation because it runs on hydrazine. You don't want to get near that stuff. Could explain the long delay. Also, they don't use any old towbar that you can find at an FBO. Many explanations for not moving it immediately.

hydrazine? I'd love to see a Viper jock make an emergency stop at an NAS and ask for that. "Sorry dude, the oclub is closed" :)

The whole towing of the F-16 comments made me think of this story.

We had a T-38 come in to the FBO a few days prior to Christmas last year. When they went to leave, one of the afterburners didn't work and they couldn't leave with it being INOP. They told us it wouldn't be until after the first of the year that someone could come out and fix it. That's fine, but the problem was one of the "new guys" (I put it like that because he had worked at the FBO for a year but still had no clue) parked it right up front in the first spot. We ended up having to push it, by hand to a remote parking area and steering the nosewheel by rather *ahem* creative methods.

I never realized how much those things weigh. It took 5 line guys to move it and it was still quite the hassle.

Does anyone know who the pilot was? I hope it wasn't Surge.

Anyone in the guard on here know Surge? aka David Surage? He prof'd a few classes I had at OSU Tulsa. Awesome guy.

All I know is that it was not "Noonan"

Man it took you just as long to type all of that up and insert the nice little drinking buddies emoticon as it would've to just give me a link to the pic. Making me find it myself on the site serves absolutely no purpose other than informing me that you know where it is and that I don't. And yes I know there is a 'rest of the site' outside the forums.
I work 50 hours a week at a crappy job slinging BBQ and didn't want to have to waste my free time looking for photos that one of my peers could 'pay forward' to me...
Rant over>

Yes, I could have just posted the pic. Or I could have come on out and said "Hey, go check out the Perspectives section."

Or I could have given you some clues and seen how long it takes you to pick up on them. By doing the latter, it tells me a little bit about your character - are you the type of guy who will go searching for the answers, or one of the ones who sits back and expects things to be given to you?

You answered that question with your response.

Rant over>
paying it forward doesn't mean handouts... it means pointing out the path rather than leading the blind down a path.

There is a lot of value in the area outside of the forums, if you want to be involved in aviation. Mike was merely trying to help you expand your horizons, and he did it in a nice way.

If it is a waste of time, it obviously isn't that important to you...

OK I don't know where this photo is...I'll time it.

back in a sec...

Back