Fighter jet makes emergency landing at Oklahoma City airport

An Oklahoma Air National Guard F-16C fighter jet made an emergency landing at Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City after encountering problems in flight and dropping empty fuel tanks in a field near Chickasha, officials said...
http://www.newsok.com/fighter-jet-makes-emergency-landing-at-oklahoma-city-airport/article/3484197

I didn't hear about this until after I got home from doing my night currency. I saw the ops vehicles at KOKC pulling him from one end of the airport to the ANG ramp. I was curious as to why he was there, but then got home and saw the news. It says he landed at 3PM, and I was up there flying around 10PM. Anyone know why it would take 7 hours to move an airplane? Still, pretty nicely done. :beer:

Re: Fighter jet makes emergency landing at Oklahoma City air

It says he landed at 3PM, and I was up there flying around 10PM. Anyone know why it would take 7 hours to move an airplane? Still, pretty nicely done. :beer:

I would speculate;

1. Anybody that would have anything to do with it would have to come from the 138th which is in Tulsa. So that will take a couple of hours to gather the right people and tools up and get them out to OKC.

2. You don't just hook up and move a F-16 like a regular airplane. It takes a certain tow-bar and not to mention a good tug to pull it, plus qualified people to do the job.

3. You have to have 3 people to legally move a F-16 if the electrical system in the plane still works. If not, then you have to have 6. They will all be qualified military members too.

I hate to hear that. Wish they had a picture so I knew which tail it was.

At least that'll be one aircraft on the former 137th Airlift Wing's ramp there at OKC. Empty except for a couple of C-21s, a DC-3, and couple of C-23s. Whole ANG base there is dead after being BRACd.

At least that'll be one aircraft on the former 137th Airlift Wing's ramp there at OKC. Empty except for a couple of C-21s, a DC-3, and couple of C-23s. Whole ANG base there is dead after being BRACd.

I don't even think we have that much here. I know there are a few C-23s, but I don't recall ever seeing a C-21 or a DC-3. We still have our 135s, but I hardly ever see them.

I don't even think we have that much here. I know there are a few C-23s, but I don't recall ever seeing a C-21 or a DC-3. We still have our 135s, but I hardly ever see them.

Yes, they're there.

The C-23s are in the now-Army NG hangar on the east side.

In the western-most hangar, sit two flight-check USAF C-21s of AFFSA, as well as the former flight-check DC-3 owned by the FAA. The 135s are at Tinker, and I don't even know if the Guard "owns" them.....they may be just an associate unit.

Yes, they're there.

The C-23s are in the now-Army NG hangar on the east side.

In the western-most hangar, sit two flight-check USAF C-21s of AFFSA, as well as the former flight-check DC-3 owned by the FAA. The 135s are at Tinker, and I don't even know if the Guard "owns" them.....they may be just an associate unit.

:insane: I just got schooled. I will never doubt you again.

2. You don't just hook up and move a F-16 like a regular airplane. It takes a certain tow-bar and not to mention a good tug to pull it, plus qualified people to do the job.

3. You have to have 3 people to legally move a F-16 if the electrical system in the plane still works. If not, then you have to have 6. They will all be qualified military members too.

Yes and No.

If you've got time, another runway to use, and don't want to cause any more damage you need all those things.

If said F-16 is blocking the only runway, you wrap some chain around the nose gear and drag it clear, and let the USAF bitch about the bill.

Option A is obviously the best choice, but there are times when you can't wait.

:insane: I just got schooled. I will never doubt you again.

I've learned to trust anything that comes out of MikeDs mouth... he generally doesn't open it unless he knows what he is talking about. I've spent thousands of hours racing motorcycles at 59th and Douglas Ave across the street from Tinker and have never seen a DC-3!... seen plenty of B1s and B2s though! and some AWACS and plenty of 135s.

Now if we could just get MikeD to post a pic of his real mugshot so we knew which face we were blindly trusting!... I still think he probably looks like Jake Busey!

Does anyone know who the pilot was? I hope it wasn't Surge.

Anyone in the guard on here know Surge? aka David Surage? He prof'd a few classes I had at OSU Tulsa. Awesome guy.

Yes and No.

If you've got time, another runway to use, and don't want to cause any more damage you need all those things.

If said F-16 is blocking the only runway, you wrap some chain around the nose gear and drag it clear, and let the USAF bitch about the bill.

Option A is obviously the best choice, but there are times when you can't wait.

Yes, somewhat. He was clear of the runway and I was trying to explain to the OP how it could take 7 hours to move the jet. However, I don't want to be anywhere around when some civilians show up with a log chain and a diesel truck to move an F-16...

I've learned to trust anything that comes out of MikeDs mouth... he generally doesn't open it unless he knows what he is talking about.

Now if we could just get MikeD to post a pic of his real mugshot so we knew which face we were blindly trusting!... I still think he probably looks like Jake Busey!

:yeahthat:

Does anyone know who the pilot was? I hope it wasn't Surge.

Anyone in the guard on here know Surge? aka REAL NAME DELETED?

I don't think they're releasing any info right now while the investigation is underway.

Not trying to be a butt or anything, but try to avoid throwing out military pilot names on a public forum if you can. Using nick names like Surge are one thing, but try to avoid using their real name and workplace if possible.

I've learned to trust anything that comes out of MikeDs mouth... he generally doesn't open it unless he knows what he is talking about. I've spent thousands of hours racing motorcycles at 59th and Douglas Ave across the street from Tinker and have never seen a DC-3!... seen plenty of B1s and B2s though! and some AWACS and plenty of 135s.

There's the one DC-3 sitting on display in front of the tech college on the NW side of the field, then there is FAA's N34, a DC-3 that used to be for flight check. It used to be at the FAA hangar on the west side of OKC, but now resides in the west hangar at the 137th. I got to climb through the thing a few months ago.

Attachments

• N341.jpg
    N341.jpg
    514.3 KB · Views: 62
  • N34.jpg
    N34.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 106

There's one on the site here, and it's actually pretty easy to find. :cool:

I'm terrible at the search engine on here.

And MikeD, are those planes you speak of at TInker, or are they at the airport on the west side of the city? If they are next to the highway on the north side of tinker then I have seen them.

I'll give you a hint as to where to find MikeD's picture: there's an entire site at JetCareers outside of the Forums... :beer:

So that picture that IS IN a thread isn't MikeD??! :dunno:
:D

I'm terrible at the search engine on here.

And MikeD, are those planes you speak of at TInker, or are they at the airport on the west side of the city? If they are next to the highway on the north side of tinker then I have seen them.

The DC-3s are at OKC, one in combat colors on the NW side of the field on display in front of the tech college, the other one....the FAA one....inside the 137th hangar.

Depending on the problem he had, if the EPU (emergency power unit) fired in flight then it becomes a hazmat situation because it runs on hydrazine. You don't want to get near that stuff. Could explain the long delay. Also, they don't use any old towbar that you can find at an FBO. Many explanations for not moving it immediately.

Back