FedEx Going External

Cargo isn’t really where I wanna be. It’s not one of the ones that I’m gonna put in an extra effort for, if it happens it happens, but if it doesn’t I’m not gonna be broken up.

Well before you make up your mind better look around and see whats happening. I was in the passenger world during 9/11 I had 13 years in at that time and saw what happened to us. I have been on the cargo side now for 14 years we have this Coronavirus and it is smashing the passenger side even worse than 9/11 did only time will tell how long it lasts but I have not been affected in the cargo world in fact we are more busy critical cargo has to move. So before you decide better think long term this will not be the last virus or terrorist attack we will see and the passenger side always suffers more. Boxes are not afraid to fly.

Jeez, some people act like I just kicked their children.

I like having my flight benefits and not traveling alone. Can’t bring a friend a long as easily if I dispatch cargo.

Nothing wrong with cargo, just not my first choice. Would be perfectly happy if I end up at UPS, just not my first choice.

I like having my flight benefits and not traveling alone. Can’t bring a friend a long as easily if I dispatch cargo.

Nothing wrong with cargo, just not my first choice. Would be perfectly happy if I end up at UPS, just not my first choice.

No I don't think you kicked my chicken lol. ..Just trying to show you another side. I get what you're saying I had way more fun in the passenger world than I do now and I loved my flight bennies of course flying today even before this virus was not as much fun as it was when I got into this industry in 1985. We flew widebody A/C everywhere a lot even domestic and virtually always got first class. Passenger side hasn't seen that kind of Non-Rev privilege in long time half the time now you and your companion will not likely even be sitting together due to loads. It's not the great benefit it once was. I make better money now and fares are cheap enough I just buy a ticket and get the seat I want and if I am alone I can jumpseat at my shop. At this point I would rather be somewhere that is not affected by these things as much. Good luck to you whatever choice you make.

Last edited:
No I don't think you kicked my chicken lol. ..Just trying to show you another side. I get what you're saying I had way more fun in the passenger world than I do now and I loved my flight bennies of course flying today even before this virus was not as much fun as it was when I got into this industry in 1985. We flew widebody A/C everywhere a lot even domestic and virtually always got first class. Passenger side hasn't seen that kind of Non-Rev privilege in long time half the time now you and your companion will not likely even be sitting together due to loads. It's not the great benefit it once was. I make better money now and fares are cheap enough I just buy a ticket and get the seat I want and if I am alone I can jumpseat at my shop. At this point I would rather be somewhere that is not affected by these things as much. Good luck to you whatever choice you make.

You make very valid points. And I’ll admit, I’ve been very fortunate in the last 6 years that I’ve been flying standby.

I love the few chances I get to fly cargo. It’s so much nicer than flying commercial. No screaming babies.

Kinda hard to go anywhere when 90% of the passenger fleet in this country is expected to be parked in the next few months. This summer is going to be a mess.

The freight always has to move and always does move. If you want to travel become a flight attendant.

Kinda hard to go anywhere when 90% of the passenger fleet in this country is expected to be parked in the next few months. This summer is going to be a mess.

The freight always has to move and always does move. If you want to travel become a flight attendant.

You don’t have to dispatch cargo to get on them.

And some of us don’t want to spend over nights in exotic Tulsa.

Sorry for whomever I pissed off, but I’m done with this line of conversation now.

Has anyone heard anything lately about this job posting?

I have to wonder if they’re even going forward with this considering everything going on.

Last I heard only a couple external spots and the person handling it was out of the office for an extended period of time.

...non-covid from what I was told...

Anyone hear anything yet? I guess its not likely at this time....but one never knows. Stay human.

Funny how the covid times have changed the JC dynamic. So FedEx began online interviews a week ago. The online interview was preceded by a phone call a few days prior to that. The word is 3 dispatchers, all external. Apparently, the last time they hired external was 2012! Nice to see them giving the rest of us a shot. Talking about an August 1 class. They are not in a rush. Not sure what anyone's online "status" might show... I really dont have much faith in those things anyway. My guess is, if you haven't heard from them yet...well, you know the drill. I know a couple of guys who got called up. They both have lots of TT and lots of etops as well. It would seem they are aiming high and why wouldnt they? Im sure there are lots of folks who need a job right now. Good Luck to the Lucky Ones! May God have mercy on us all.

I heard they were doing webex video inteviews. Anyone get one? HOwd it go? We are dying to hear more. Anyone get the call?
Lets hope they pick up a few guys and gals to help this economy get kickin again.

I actually wished we hired externally more. While it’s nice that companies want internal employees to be able to climb the corporate ladder, I think it’s also nice when companies recognize the hard work people put into their craft at the regionals for low pay, cranking out 60-80 releases on a shift. It would be good to reward those folks too with an equal shot at improving their lives and recognize them for their experience.

Funny how the covid times have changed the JC dynamic. So FedEx began online interviews a week ago. The online interview was preceded by a phone call a few days prior to that. The word is 3 dispatchers, all external. Apparently, the last time they hired external was 2012! Nice to see them giving the rest of us a shot. Talking about an August 1 class. They are not in a rush. Not sure what anyone's online "status" might show... I really dont have much faith in those things anyway. My guess is, if you haven't heard from them yet...well, you know the drill. I know a couple of guys who got called up. They both have lots of TT and lots of etops as well. It would seem they are aiming high and why wouldnt they? Im sure there are lots of folks who need a job right now. Good Luck to the Lucky Ones! May God have mercy on us all.

yeah...the hiring manager told me the last time they hired external was 2012. So it is few and far btwn.
What grinds my gears is how can they ask a ton of technical questions with an INTERNAL candidate who has never dispatched? It is possible to begin ones career at a place like FedEx assuming they are given ample time to train and get up to speed. Its not that hard. I have watched a few guys at my current shop move from crew scheduling to dispatching after a year and Im talking world wide etops and more. And they are killin it. But anyway, glad to have had the chance but...oh well.
Congratulations to the 2 or 3 that made it!!! You got in just under the Covid Wire.!!

Back