FedEx closing CGN, LAX, and ANC MD11. New system bid for all of the changes.

Lots of good advice in here, don't have much to add other than hang in there and remember where we've been and life is actually pretty good these days. With five years seniority I'd certainly think some contentment is due.

More importantly let's ride bikes this summer, planning to hit Buff Creek a few times if I can!

Lots of good advice in here, don't have much to add other than hang in there and remember where we've been and life is actually pretty good these days. With five years seniority I'd certainly think some contentment is due.

More importantly let's ride bikes this summer, planning to hit Buff Creek a few times if I can!

Yes! I’ve been doing Staunton a lot too, and the new Maryland Mtn trails are awesome! Let’s definitely do lots of that.

I’ve been growing painfully discontent with my employer, actively seeking an exit and walking away from the plane dragging serious a$$ lately. But I always try to keep in mind the mentality I had way back when, to just stay happy and know I’m just one bad day, one bad medical or a serious downturn away from being a ground and pounder. It helps…. Sometimes.
[hijack] Are you me? [/hijack]

I’m a school bus driver now, but I was and will always be a freight dawg. The past couple of months for freight has been tough to watch. Displacement bids at Brown and Purple, ACMI slowing down, and a general downturn in that segment of the industry. I have nothing to add other then that sucks, and I feel for you guys. Like others have said this will pass and you’ll have an amazing career at either of the two. I think you should stay, especially if you have any type of seniority there. However, if you do make the decision to switch, I’d be happy to do what I can to help if United is a spot you’d want to land at.

From an outside nerdy perspective, I find it interesting that airlines like Aerolineas Argentinas, Tanzania Airlines, Air Canada, and many others outside of the US who have either never operated their own pure-cargo flights or haven't done so since the 707 days are entering the business, as in doing so in an on-going fashion with new announcement multiple times per month, while suddenly FedEx\UPS can't justify the MD-11s and their current mass. Sounds more like they can't make record profits at that mass and want to offer something more consistent. It seems like FedEx, UPS, Amazon, and other US companies are having major issues but cargo is still expanding almost everywhere else...

I'd imagine staying big is a good deterrent against Amazon's growing fleet(s) as well, but I suppose they may just be preparing to see more UPS/FedEx/DHL mass shift to Amazon and "right-sizing" ops for that future?

From an outside nerdy perspective, I find it interesting that airlines like Aerolineas Argentinas, Tanzania Airlines, Air Canada, and many others outside of the US who have either never operated their own pure-cargo flights or haven't done so since the 707 days are entering the business, as in doing so in an on-going fashion with new announcement multiple times per month, while suddenly FedEx\UPS can't justify the MD-11s and their current mass. Sounds more like they can't make record profits at that mass and want to offer something more consistent. It seems like FedEx, UPS, Amazon, and other US companies are having major issues but cargo is still expanding almost everywhere else...

I'd imagine staying big is a good deterrent against Amazon's growing fleet(s) as well, but I suppose they may just be preparing to see more UPS/FedEx/DHL mass shift to Amazon and "right-sizing" ops for that future?
Much of FedEx's new vision is for packages to ride on those third party carriers. It's a shame, reliability and on time performance will suffer, and our pilot group will shrink. That should please no one, except for wall-street (initially). We are far from the best compensated but us and our brown brothers represent the last of the guys with ties that have a pension.

Much of FedEx's new vision is for packages to ride on those third party carriers. It's a shame, reliability and on time performance will suffer, and our pilot group will shrink. That should please no one, except for wall-street (initially). We are far from the best compensated but us and our brown brothers represent the last of the guys with ties that have a pension.
Where are you seeing that this is the new direction of the company?

Where are you seeing that this is the new direction of the company?
If you haven't already, download the app Quartr and listen to the drive presentation.

Attachments

• IMG_0153.jpeg
    IMG_0153.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 52
I’m a school bus driver now, but I was and will always be a freight dawg. The past couple of months for freight has been tough to watch. Displacement bids at Brown and Purple, ACMI slowing down, and a general downturn in that segment of the industry. I have nothing to add other then that sucks, and I feel for you guys. Like others have said this will pass and you’ll have an amazing career at either of the two. I think you should stay, especially if you have any type of seniority there. However, if you do make the decision to switch, I’d be happy to do what I can to help if United is a spot you’d want to land at.

Thanks! A friend of mine is high up at TK, and told me I could interview again despite turning down my CJO and they could also get me a CP meet and greet. That definitely gave me the opportunity to evaluate my future.

At this point, it’s just not worth it. Worst case for me I will be a senior WB FO in the base I want. The practice bid went a lot better than I thought, and I can hold CA in everything in MEM except the 777. If I don’t hold OAK 76CA in this bid, I almost certainly will in a couple years for the next one.

It would take me a very long time to ever achieve the same seniority I have here (if ever), and honestly I do think a recession is in our future. I don’t want to be at the bottom of a list anywhere if/when that happens.

FedEx is changing and becoming more efficient. It’s not necessarily a bad thing in some ways, as I do want this company to continue to be successful so that I have a pension whenever I retire.

I definitely feel bad for the guys that are at the bottom and potentially getting displaced somewhere like the bottom of MEM 75FO. In that case, I would almost certainly leave for somewhere else.

I agree with that as well.

Worst case someone at the bottom will be hanging out in MEM for awhile. Not ideal, but better than the street.
Yeah. A healthy dose of perspective is needed for sure. For all of us. You yourself stated earlier that you might get displaced before getting off high mins meaning you've flown that little in what 8 months!?

Back