Fedex Caravan Fleet Upgrades

It takes to much TKS fluid when doing high speed flight. Thats why you still see boots. In fact the New Cirrus Vision jet is going to be using a boot system. Cirrus wanted it to be TKS, but realized that because of the high speed of the aircraft, they will have to pump out a LOT of fluid which means a huge TKS tank, weight penalty, cost of operation.

I do agree TKS seems to work better in my experience, however boots still has their place in the faster aircraft.
Excellent point. I'll buy that.

The TKS system is lighter than the boots, but the added weight of the glycol makes you end up losing some weight if you have full tank of fluid. It doesn't, at least not yet, change the icing limitation on the caravan which is in known (not forecast) icing on a 675hp engine you are limited to MTOW of 8550 (instead of 8750.)

According to the TKS supplement S61, 8750 is MGTOW, i.e, like it's summertime! So they gained quite a bit in winter operations.

For all of you that don't like boots. Have you flown an aircraft that had them cleaned and maintained with Ice X?

Ice X does make a bit of a difference. But when you get in the heavy icing, it won't really matter.

301.JPG304.JPG299.JPG296.JPG

Here is some pictures and commentary from one of the pilots using the TKS in the Caravan. I just removed any identifying information (flight location and dates).

This e-mail is in reference to a flight from XXX to XXX someday night (XXXX 2010). The TKS system works well. On this flight I had to use the TKS system from takeoff to touchdown. Used normal setting for 17 minutes of the flight and had to use the high setting for the remainder of the flight (13 minutes). After landing I inspected the unprotected surfaces to find ice accumulations varying from 1 to about 1 and 1/2 inches thick. The thickest was on the nose wheel landing gear and about 1 and 1/2 inch of ice. The landing light on both main wings had about 1 inch of ice. The OAT probe had an interesting ice formation; 2 inches wide and 1 inch thick. Bear in mind that this flight was only 28 minutes in duration. Had this flight been conducted in a boot equiped A/C I don't think it would have gone so well. Because of the TKS system, this flight went from, what could have been a very stressful flight, to a relatively uneventful flight. The TKS system works great; no ice anywhere on protected surfaces. Hope everyone gets one soon.

The TKS system is lighter than the boots, but the added weight of the glycol makes you end up losing some weight if you have full tank of fluid. It doesn't, at least not yet, change the icing limitation on the caravan which is in known (not forecast) icing on a 675hp engine you are limited to MTOW of 8550 (instead of 8750.)

Just splitting hairs here, but 8,550 for a 'van w/ a pod, and 8,750 w/o

Just splitting hairs here, but 8,550 for a 'van w/ a pod, and 8,750 w/o
That is splitting it a bit fine since I can count on one hand the number of those spindly looking bastards I've seen. ;) Pods just make too much economical sense to do without.

Maybe splitting hairs, but re-read the supplement.
About page 5.
I'll make it easy for you.....

Attachments

• weight.jpg
    weight.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 191
Whats 50 pounds between friends??? Actually that was a typo on my original post, I know it is 8500. Thanks for the correction though :)

The booted Caravan had a MTOW of 8550 if flight into known or forcast icing. The TKS is 8750. You gain 200# but the fluid weighs that much so it's a wash. The difference in weight between the booted plane and one equipped with TKS (as far as system weight) is about 20#....nothing!

Back