Fedex Caravan Fleet Upgrades

...and here in Iraq they are arming the Iraqi Caravans with air-to-ground missiles. I guess if a UAV is a good slow platform for surveillance and firepower, so is the Caravan.

Here is a pic of one of the upgraded birds avionics: g600.jpg

I do not know, I know you lose a portion of pod B space for it. Not like I'm paying for it or refilling it. I haven't actually flown one of the new and improved Caravans. They're upgrading Wiggins and Corporate and CSA first, all those guys up north who actually see ice. Baron will get theirs in 2012 or so.

Logged into the Cessna cold weather thing: 20 gallons and that is good for 3 hours on average use.

Wow, I didn't realize that TKS was preferable to boots. That is one high tech freighter!
The guys I've talked to that have flown with both say TKS is far and away preferable, with the caveat that you do have to watch your consumption.

The guys I've talked to that have flown with both say TKS is far and away preferable, with the caveat that you do have to watch your consumption.

And avoid flying it through bugs, but I've only got like .9 with TKS so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

I would imagine that *most* of the time bug weather and icing weather are not one and the same.

Without fail, the worst icing I encounter throughout the year is in the summer. It usually involved convective activity and flying at night when you can't see the buildups. Having said that, at least in the summer there's always a way out of the ice (descend). Although, really, most winter icing doesn't bother me much. Usually changing altitudes 2000 feet will fix the problem and you can almost always get into a place with solely impact snow (the only time I like seeing snow is at altitude). Advice for any new freight pilot: although snow does adhere to the wings, it will never amount to much and is a great altitude to fly it. Personally, of any of my icing experiences, the one's I wished I'd had TKS have been on 90 degree days in sodak (a number of them), and one random freezing rain day that happened in late May a couple years back.

And avoid flying it through bugs, but I've only got like .9 with TKS so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Close to 1000 hours with TKS and never had a problem with bugs. I definitely prefer TKS than boots. Most of my Corporate Air friends up north are really excited about the TKS upgrade.

Back