Fedex 1376

Land as soon as possible? Emergency
Land as soon as practical? Non-emergency

And a third one on my side of things, that is ranked above Land as Soon as Possible, is Land Immediately. Also a definite emergency.

And a third one on my side of things, that is ranked above Land as Soon as Possible, is Land Immediately. Also a definite emergency.

Another thing I think is important is that around half of the Controllers aren't pilots at any level, and most have no understanding of your aircraft or operations.

Telling ATC that your "#2 generator dropped offline and our APU is MEL'd" means nothing to them despite the fact that it's a serious malfunction that requires landing at the nearest suitable airport. If you don't "declare an emergency" they could easily misunderstand the urgency of the situation and stick you at the back of the line.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTDdc_CU6fk

This is a perfect example of why US pilots need to be more proficient with ICAO phraseology. Look how long it took for the Japanese ATC to finally figure out that they were an emergency and needed an expedited return after a cargo fire indication. Even though they repeatedly stated that they are "declaring an emergency" the controllers don't grasp the extent of it until several minutes in. A simple MAYDAY would have gotten the point across immediately

The Avianca 707 crash going into JFK was a perfect example of this. If the crew had used mayday to address their critical fuel state they might have saved the day.

The Avianca 707 crash going into JFK was a perfect example of this. If the crew had used mayday to address their critical fuel state they might have saved the day.
Not a perfect example. The captain knew that “emergency” was the magic word and told his FO to declare several times, late in the game.

It was a train wreck and the US shouldn’t have paid one dime.

This is a perfect example of why US pilots need to be more proficient with ICAO phraseology. Look how long it took for the Japanese ATC to finally figure out that they were an emergency and needed an expedited return after a cargo fire indication. Even though they repeatedly stated that they are "declaring an emergency" the controllers don't grasp the extent of it until several minutes in. A simple MAYDAY would have gotten the point across immediately

This is true. Americans are absolutely atrocious on the radio outside the US, makes my ears hurt and eats up radio bandwidth.

Brutal

If you keep it simple and correct, things can be easier than USA.

Was flying into Baku, expecting messy ATC. Got a simple “cleared to land”. No instructions, no runway, just a big blank check clearance.

We used to put a lot of emphasis on proper ICAO radio work during OE, but it appears it's back to 'anything goes'.

I guess I'll become that LCA that says "Simple, zero slang, clear, deliberate" instead of "Gooooooooooood mornin' Tok-E-YOOOOOOO Airliner twenty three forty two checkin' in with ya onboard five thousand climbing ten thousands" (especially when you're already above transition level")

All that meant nothing, challenging to understand and easily misunderstood.

Even how you say "Tokyo" as Tok-E-OH isn't understood as TO-KYO because it's two symbols, not three. I digress.

I increasingly understand why my employer *mostly* hires people with significant international experience to fly their international planes. 90% of the guys who have never operated to China would be just fine, I'm sure. But those 10%ers, woof.

"Gooooooooooood mornin' Tok-E-YOOOOOOO Airliner twenty three forty two checkin' in with ya onboard five thousand climbing ten thousands" (especially when you're already above transition level")

"How'r yer rides?"

Had a captain try this back and forth about 4 times with Bogota Control. After politely suggesting to try and ask for any "turbulence reports", they magically came back with "ah, negative no turbulence reported".

He is right. You go to some of these Chinese airports and you say anything not in the icao phraseology and they won't respond to you because they don't know what to say.

Same with their pilots flying into the US. Hell when Air China was flying into EWR and you gave them a left/right turn it was 50/50 they turn the way you told them. Always gave them a wide berth.

Also it became very hard not to subconsciously mimic their accent and say “irs 22 reft”

Last edited:
I increasingly understand why my employer *mostly* hires people with significant international experience to fly their international planes. 90% of the guys who have never operated to China would be just fine, I'm sure. But those 10%ers, woof.
Look out for this guy. Two trips to SXM and he’s tip of the spear.

You know what other European (and by that I mean "British") type phrase I find annoying? When they call afterburner "reheat". How stupid and soft is THAT? Like ZZ Top would ever come up with an album of kick ass Texas rock-n-roll and name it "Reheat". It sounds like warming up one of those brainmeat pies or whatever the eff those people eat. That's why America rules and was able to create the atom bomb and land a man on the moon. Because we're not soft and call it "reheat" or use the metric system.

I'm rewatching Turn on the streaming and that always gets my Brit hatred up. Carry on.

It is silly, but they have to make everything more polite sounding than us I think. That being said, every RAF dude I've ever spent time with is about the least polite (I mean this in a good way), least PC, least anything related to the stereotypical polite Englishman. They are fighter pilots too after all, they just fly even lower and faster than we do, and can probably drink most Americans under the table after the flying is done. Great senses of humor too.

Same with their pilots flying into the US. Hell when Air China was flying into EWR and you gave them a left/right turn it was 50/50 they turn the way you told them. Always gave them a wide berth.

Also it became very hard not to subconsciously mimic their accent and say “irs 22 reft”

I have a friend who was in our forward deployed airwing, which at the time was based in NAS Atsugi. Apparently they would intentionally file their flight plans to ATC with callsigns such as "Parallelogram 11" and such things......

Attachments

• IMG_4811.jpeg
    IMG_4811.jpeg
    105.8 KB · Views: 13
Telling ATC that your "#2 generator dropped offline and our APU is MEL'd"

I hope nobody is clueless enough to assume this niche scenario would get ATC excited. Agreed, you have to tell them when you need help. Specifics don't help at all, unless asked. And even then, general terms are useful

Back