Fedex 1376

Tell me you've only flown small jets without telling me you've only flown small jets.
Only if you tell me you don't know how to use your hands and feet to fly a jet and to use your eyes to see where you want to put that jet and what you want to avoid while getting to that spot..

Also, pray tell us how the Gimli glider pilot deadstick slipped his swept-wing, big-boy jet into a wee itty bitty airstrip. Or, in your weirdly obsessive compulsion with size, do you judge a 767 a "small" jet? Either way, it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it.

Don't know. I do know that kids oft have fun sliding down turf covered hillsides - both dry and wet. I also know that operational runways don't tend to have ditches and fences and gopher holes and small trees in the midst of them. But, you know, while careening off the the end of a perfectly good runway into the great unknown seems like a terrific time to experiment and find out.
When I was a much, much younger man with a friend that worked at an ice company we'd get couple of blocks of ice and sneak into the local pitch and putt after hours and spend the late evening/early morning sliding down the hills. We were brilliant, we called it "Ice Blocking".

In the Lear 40/45/70/75 series jets, the taxi lights we on the main landing gear and acted as a secondary indication of gear configuration. They would only illuminate in a down and locked position. Theoretically you wouldn’t need to do a low pass and could just ask what tower sees from a couple mile final. At school most instructors would always mention doing a low pass in a situation. In the 40 series it would be possible for a burned out gear indicator bulb but not so much in the G5000 series 70 series jets. Just some fun facts I guess about gear malfunctions.

There’s a few jets that are like that that I know of, where the landing light switch is left on inflight because the landing lights on the gear struts will only come on when the strut down lock engages and completes the circuit. F-117 was that way. Vice versa, when the landing gear unlocked and started it’s way up, the lights automatically extinguished

There’s a few jets that are like that that I know of, where the landing light switch is left on inflight because the landing lights on the gear struts will only come on when the strut down lock engages and completes the circuit. F-117 was that way. Vice versa, when the landing gear unlocked and started it’s way up, the lights automatically extinguished
That's why reckie lights were invented. 😁

Only if you tell me you don't know how to use your hands and feet to fly a jet and to use your eyes to see where you want to put that jet and what you want to avoid while getting to that spot..

Also, pray tell us how the Gimli glider pilot deadstick slipped his swept-wing, big-boy jet into a wee itty bitty airstrip. Or, in your weirdly obsessive compulsion with size, do you judge a 767 a "small" jet? Either way, it's not the size that matters, it's how you use it.

Do you mind sharing your aviation background?

That's why reckie lights were invented. 😁
Do you mean recognition lights? I hope in the future all landing lights will not be mounted on the main gear. Those lights get real hot even hanging out in the wind, the fact that the power is shut off before they're stuck into a small space has probably saved a few lives. But it adds complexity and mounting them on the wing just seems like a better idea. Unless you're Dassault, they used to mount them in the side of the fuselage, don't ask me why, I don't know.

Military, emergency is treated as needed. Better to declare and not need it, than to not declare and need to. That should be a standard culture across the board; but it isn’t unfortunately.

The civilian culture has always been reluctant to declare an emergency, ATC has to either practically drag it out of the pilot, or ends up declaring for the the affected aircrew. I’ve never understood why the civvie culture is so hesitant to declare.

One thing that I always focus on is that 99% of declared "Emergencies" are only malfunctions that can and should be handled deliberately. Declaring something like landing gear that won't extend an Emergency adds a lot of stress to the situation. You can hear the pilots voice jump an octave when they say the magic word. Another issue is that no matter what, you still have to fly your airplane, ATC can't help you there (half of them aren't pilots at any level).

Perfect example:

Now I'm not suggesting that a pilot EVER delay telling ATC that they need priority handling. If you are dealing with a problem and need help then declaring an emergency will get that message through immediately. Of course many malfunctions require landing with CFR ready just in case which are usually triggered by the pilot declaring.

In my mind, there are only three true emergencies, flight control malfunction, fire, and low altitude engine failure. An Emergency means that we might not live through the next 5 minutes, everything else is a problem to solve.

One thing that I always focus on is that 99% of declared "Emergencies" are only malfunctions that can and should be handled deliberately. Declaring something like landing gear that won't extend an Emergency adds a lot of stress to the situation. You can hear the pilots voice jump an octave when they say the magic word. Another issue is that no matter what, you still have to fly your airplane, ATC can't help you there (half of them aren't pilots at any level).

Perfect example:

Now I'm not suggesting that a pilot EVER delay telling ATC that they need priority handling. If you are dealing with a problem and need help then declaring an emergency will get that message through immediately. Of course many malfunctions require landing with CFR ready just in case which are usually triggered by the pilot declaring.

In my mind, there are only three true emergencies, flight control malfunction, fire, and low altitude engine failure. An Emergency means that we might not live through the next 5 minutes, everything else is a problem to solve.
I disagree. If I say the word “emergency” it means that ATC will get everyone out of my way, and not cut me in on too tight a final, thereby freeing up mental capacity for me to get the plane on the ground safely. That keeps me from rushing and potentially misreading a checklist, which could massively decrease the overall level of safety.

Back