Fedex 1376

Most reports say overrun and preliminary ADSB data shows it at the end of the runway. But not 100% sure.

That would make sense, I just hadn’t seen for sure yet if it was one or the other, so was curious to know.

Attachments

• 370050897_10223236864618109_2602871159157671741_n.jpg
    370050897_10223236864618109_2602871159157671741_n.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 122
Not an exact correlation.

86-0132 slid 7500+ feet down the runway after its gear up landing.

Maybe we need gear up landing distance charts 😳

I'm pretty sure overrunning runways into ALS systems have contributed to pilot deaths in past accidents. I wonder if that was part of the decision process or not. A 757 isn't exactly that tall once the gear is gone...

Tires and brakes are better at slowing down airplanes than scraping parts on the ground. If you have to do it, do it. Airplanes and packages can be replaced, people can't.

I always wonder about the value of a low approach with gear issues. If you have an unsafe gear indication and you do a low approach and the tower reports that they see the gear down, it doesn’t mean it’s down and locked. And it’s not going to inform or change the way you handle the subsequent approach and landing. What it does do is add a maneuver that we’re not trained or taught to do in an airliner (it’s not just a go around) and adds further opportunity for further issues. Especially if you’re root problem is a hydraulic issue.

Nice work by ATC. Also a reminder that ATC generally doesn’t care how many minutes of fuel you have.

They want gallons. They aren’t staging equipment based on minutes.

Nice work, they got lucky on the over run.

I always wonder about the value of a low approach with gear issues. If you have an unsafe gear indication and you do a low approach and the tower reports that they see the gear down, it doesn’t mean it’s down and locked. And it’s not going to inform or change the way you handle the subsequent approach and landing. What it does do is add a maneuver that we’re not trained or taught to do in an airliner (it’s not just a go around) and adds further opportunity for further issues. Especially if you’re root problem is a hydraulic issue.

I disagree. The more you know about the problem the better you can be prepared. Use all available resources. If you can’t fly down the runway straight and level at 500 feet I don’t know what to tell you.

Back