FBO in Florida.

anakin23

Flight School in Florida

Hello,
Actually I'm international student.

First, I decided to go Pan Am international flight academy, but after I found negative opinion about Pan Am, DCA, and other big academy, I changed my mind.

I want to get PPL, CPL, IR, MER, CFI, CFII, MEI.

I searched out several local FBO.

1. Dean international - Miami
2. ADF airways - Miami
3. Falcon Flight Sanford - Orlando
4. Air Orlando - Orlando

I don't know which one is better.
Does anyone have experience with flight school in Florida?

Furthermore, I would like to know about Part 61 / Part 141, which one is better for future (Enter the Airlines) ?
Is it true that Part 141 school has more advantage than Part 61 school ?

Thank you.

Re: Flight School in Florida

a 141 school does not have any real advantage (other than financing options, possibly) over a part 61 school.

At both schools you will receive your ratings.

Hi, guys. I heard that part 141 school have advantage to get an airline job. I don't know it is true or false.

To Customx : I live in Sang-il dong, Gangdong gu, nice to meet you.

My understanding about 141 vs 61 with regard to the airlines is that there isn't a difference. Airlines are looking for the ratings and total time. I havent seen anywhere that says, "Applicant must have received training at a Part 141 school."

The problem with FBO's and you being an international Student would be your Student Visa. FBO's that offer help with the Visa process are far and few between. There are a few smaller schools that do this, but not FBO's. I could be wrong on this, as I've been out the Immigration business for a number of years, but I also believe the school has to be approved, by whatever section of the new Department of Homeland Security that does that.

You'd have to show your Student Visa to the school when you start your training, and if you switch schools you are suppose to get a new visa. All flight training outfits are required to ask for proof of Citizenship before any flight training. A regular visitors Visa would not work (Legally anyway)

Good Luck

Hi, guys. I heard that part 141 school have advantage to get an airline job. I don't know it is true or false.

It is a false assumption. Most jobs are a combination of networking, total flight time, and ability. None of that is based on if your training was received at a 141 or a 61 school.

The problem with FBO's and you being an international Student would be your Student Visa. FBO's that offer help with the Visa process are far and few between. There are a few smaller schools that do this, but not FBO's.

I agree and disagree with the above.

All the FBO's I have worked at have helped in the visa process and fingerprinting process.

I agree that it may take a bit more research to locate an FBO that does this, but I do not agree that they are far in between.

Frankly, the larger places may have more experience with foreign students, but the other side of the equation is having to deal with their bureaucracy.

To moxiepilot : I know that part 141 school means FAA approved school, so they can support international student visa and TSA legally. But how about part 61 school ? Do They support TSA and visa, too ?

Hello,
Actually I'm international student.

First, I decided to go Pan Am international flight academy, but after I found negative opinion about Pan Am, DCA, and other big academy, I changed my mind.

I want to get PPL, CPL, IR, MER, CFI, CFII, MEI.

I searched out several local FBO.

1. Dean international - Miami
2. ADF airways - Miami
3. Falcon Flight Sanford - Orlando
4. Air Orlando - Orlando

I don't know which one is better.
Does anyone have experience with flight school in Florida?

Furthermore, I would like to know about Part 61 / Part 141, which one is better for future (Enter the Airlines) ?
Is it true that Part 141 school has more advantage than Part 61 school ?

Thank you.

The main advantage to Part 141 is that you can get your IR and CPL with less flight experience than is required for Part 61. Part 141 will not offer any particular help in getting an airline job in the future. As others have said, that's more about timing, hours, networking and ability. The pilot certificate you get Part 61 is identical to Part 141.

The whole "141 means FAA Approved" angle is nothing more than marketing; don't let it throw you off. As long as you go through the TSA process (www.flightschoolcandidates.gov), most schools should be able to train you. Obviously, call any school you're thinking of training at and ask.

As to the schools you mentioned:

1. Dean: doesn't have a great reputation around here, but I don't have any specific information.
2. ADF Airways: I see their planes up here in Central Florida periodically: they're older, but appear to be in okay shape. Don't know anything else about them.
3. Falcon: Older, but well-maintained aircraft; they also run a maintenance shop. Owner is a pretty good guy and the place is well-managed with good prices. Last I checked they were only doing Part 61 training, but are still competitive, price-wise, with 141 schools and will get you an extra 50ish hours in the process. Falcon is at the same field as DCA and you'll meet a lot of people who weren't happy with DCA working or training there.
4. Air Orlando: Mostly new, well-maintained aircraft. Part 61 and 141. Good staff and, similar to Falcon, runs its own maintenance shop. A bit more expensive than Falcon. Great location near downtown Orlando for non-flight training activities. I work at Air Orlando; feel free to send me a PM with specific questions.

To moxiepilot : I know that part 141 school means FAA approved school, so they can support international student visa and TSA legally. But how about part 61 school ? Do They support TSA and visa, too ?

Not quite correct. See ILS's post above.

A 141 school means that there is an FAA approved curriculum. Nothing more. It does *not* mean the curriculum is any better than that of a 61 school, only that the FAA has reviewed it and stated that it meets training requirements.

Student visa and TSA requirements are completely separate from a 141 and 61 designation. This is why I stated above that there are FBO's as well as 141 schools which cater to the foreign training market.

Keep asking questions for further clarification

I have another question about flight time.

I received flight training course catalogs from many flight schools.
Most of part 61 schools provide more than 100 hours solo flight for basic program (from ppl to cpl), but part 141 schools provide only 30 hours.

I don't know why.

I have another question about flight time.

I received flight training course catalogs from many flight schools.
Most of part 61 schools provide more than 100 hours solo flight for basic program (from ppl to cpl), but part 141 schools provide only 30 hours.

I don't know why.

Part 61 requires more hours of experience than Part 141, especially for IR and CPL. In particular, Part 61 IR requires 50 hours solo cross-country, a requirement that is waived by most 141 syllabi. Similarly, Part 61 CPL requires 250 total time, while many 141 programs *can be completed in around 190-210 total time.

Those 100 solo hours you're seeing in Part 61 programs are from: 10 in PPL, 50 for IR and then another 40-50ish of timebuilding towards your CPL.

anakin23,

I attended ADF Airways for my PPL training in 07. Unfortunately it was at a time when some flight instructors where more like time-builders due to the hiring frenzy. The instructors would charge me Pre and Post briefings even though it never took place and they always seem to be in a rush to get in the air with the next student. KTMB can be active at times as well as the alert area SW of the airport. It will definitely keep you on the edge of your seat dodging other aircraft while doing slow flight :crazy:.

Apart from that, the staff was really nice. There was a fair share of international students so I'm pretty sure the staff will help you with TSA and visa requirements. The aircraft were old, but hey they're trainers and they had what was needed to get the job done. The maintenance was great cause they had an MX shop right next door and most planes were fixed and maintained in no time.

As for 141/61 its true that 141 has reduced hours and is more structured as far as ground school. You'll have stage checks which really helped me reduce (not eliminate) my nervousness for the actual checkride. The stage checks are also a good way to spot some weaknesses that your main instructor might not catch. Your pretty much getting a second opinion and if you ask me I'd rather have the chief instructor catch a weakness rather than the Designated Examiner. Being that 141 has reduced hours for PPL-Comm one would think the cost would be cheaper. Now I may be wrong or I might have just looked in the wrong places, but I have noticed that the majority of 141 programs are the same price if not more expensive than part 61. Only difference being that part 61 gives you more hours, 250TT vs 190TT if you actually complete the ratings at FAA mins which I have yet to see. Also part 61 gives the instructor more freedom to focus on a students weak areas versus doing exactly what the syllabus calls for even if its repeating unnecessary crap.

On that note, please remember that my experience took place in 07 - early 08 so things may or may not have changed at ADF. I encourage you to call each school and write emails (so at least its in writing). Check out as many options as you possibly can a go where you feel comfortable. A little key advice, take your time and search for quality. As it is right now with the airlines, its better to actually pace yourself and learn something.

Hope this helps. Good luck and keep us posted!!

P.S.
Stay away from South Beach unless you dont mind over 50 night clubs, topless beaches, and 24 hour liquor zones ;)

Thank you guys and I searched out several FBO schools.
I received training information from these schools and I would like to know about reputation.

1. Palm Beach Flight Training - Palm beach
2. CAMS Flight - St.Petersburg
3. Clearwater Aviation -St.Petersburg
4. Cloud Dancer (CDA Professional flight training) - Daytona beach

Anyone have any experience with these schools?

Don't go with CDA. I worked there at one point.

Jamie (the chief pilot) is awesome and has a ton of knowledge. The owner Dave has trouble keeping his planes out of maintinence. It would be best to fix it right the first time rather than fix it 10 times....

I trainied Indian students there, so they are familiar with visas and the whole international process, but you would be best served somewhere else in my opinion.

I would recommend checking out Tailwheels Etc. located in Winter Haven, FL (KGIF). Between Tampa & Orlando...pretty close to Lakeland. They can get you all your ratings for a fixed price with absolutely no hidden charges.

Do a search for their website as I don't know the address off the top of my head.

I would recommend checking out Tailwheels Etc. located in Winter Haven, FL (KGIF). Between Tampa & Orlando...pretty close to Lakeland. They can get you all your ratings for a fixed price with absolutely no hidden charges.

Do a search for their website as I don't know the address off the top of my head.

I actually went there for a multi add on last year and left after less than 2 hours dual. Now all of this represents my opinion of course, but I had asked ahead of time if it would be possible to do the multi-add on to the PPL in one weekend. As I remember it, they told me "sure, we do it all the time". When I got there at 9am (my scheduled time) the guy acted surprised, thinking I was coming later. I basically sat around for several hours while he took other students up (my name was on their online schedule by the way). I only got 1.8 in the first day, and they told me they'd have to schedule my check out for Monday (when I had to be back at work).

In my humble opinion, you get what you pay for at this place. I felt that they were more interested in shooting the !@#$ with the local "got nothing better to do" pilots than teaching me to fly multi. The instruction I got in the air was actually great - but I just felt like they couldn't have cared any less that I was there.

Oh, and on the two flights I got in that day - each was with a different instructor.

I seem to remember that long post way back in the day. I'll see if I can find a linky.

Can't find a link. Oh well.

Thank you guys.

Your advices were so helpful.

I chose small FBO in St.Petersburg/Clearwater international airport.
After several contact with them, finally I requested admission application.

Again, thank you very much.

Back