FBI: Man Slapped Crying Toddler On Delta Flight

I realize that it was not the best decision to smack the kid. (smacking the parent might have been more appropriate :) ) As much as I don't like it, you MQAAord do bring up some vaild points. As a generalization, it seems that more often than not (I commuted 4+ legs a week for awhile) it is the parents neglecting to control their children. I guess the bottom line is to control your kid and not provoke drunkie in front of you to lay the smack down!

I realize that it was not the best decision to smack the kid. (smacking the parent might have been more appropriate :) ) As much as I don't like it, you MQAAord do bring up some vaild points. As a generalization, it seems that more often than not (I commuted 4+ legs a week for awhile) it is the parents neglecting to control their children. I guess the bottom line is to control your kid and not provoke drunkie in front of you to lay the smack down!
No, no, NO!! You don't concede, this is the Internet!!! :)

I do fully admit there is a LOT of bad parenting out there. It sucks, and yes, some of those parents DO certainly deserve a smack. So, don't think I'm trying to defend poor behavior, in kids or in parents. I'm just asking people to consider the child's age and circumstances before passing any judgement. That's all.

I didn't fly as a kid, we couldn't afford it, but as an adult I have to manually pop my ears constantly. Chances are, if I had flown as a baby, I probably would have cried on the descent too because of my ears. And my parents were excellent parents who disciplined properly and raised good kids.

I guess the bottom line is to control your kid and not provoke drunkie in front of you to lay the smack down!
Sad to think that a grown man cannot control himself from being provoked by a two year old who is crying or has the need to be drunk while on a flight in the first place. Yeah, let's blame the baby or the baby's Mom for that.

So were mine, and they never resorted to "beating" any of us, nor did I ever "beat" my children, nor have they ever "beat" my grandkids.
Beating might be a bit of an overstatement for some. Where I come from a "beating" (also a whooping) is the southern equivalent to a spanking.

Beating might be a bit of an overstatement for some. Where I come from a "beating" (also a whooping) is the southern equivalent to a spanking.
I don't believe in hitting a child, ever. Not my style of parenting. IMO, There are plenty of other types of discipline and ways to communicate effectively with a child and have them behave, listen, do as you instruct them to, learn what is appropriate and why and teach/help them. To me, when a parent resorts to hitting their child, they have already lost all control, or never had control in the first place and are clueless as to what else to do or don't want to bother with methods that take may time to learn and execute and that have to be tailored for each child's personality and needs.

I respect that. To each their own though. Some of the most well behaved kids I know are the result of a good whoopin when they are seriously out of line.
That may be, but sadly, I have also known some pretty screwed up adults who got "whoopins" as a child and were scarred emotionally and mentally because of that. Many of them also then continue the behavior with their own children. This type of discipline can create some serious issues/damage for kids which some of them can carry into adulthood. I just don't see the need for it and never had to resort to anything that drastic. When spanking a child no longer works, what does one resort/escalate it to next? I just don't see getting physical with a child as a wise or necessary behavior. You can have the power and the control without the threat of or resorting to physically hurting a child. Again, this is just what I believe.

About 6 years ago I was working a flight to STL and we had an issue at the gate before we left where a guy was being verbally abusive to his girlfriend's child (who was about 2 or 3). The Flight Attendants "calmed' him down and despite me protesting to the captain that heading out on a 2+ hour flight with a guy like that in the back might not be a good idea, we pushed and left. About halfway there he started up again and then started slamming the child against the overhead service unit and calling it a "devil child" and other stuff. Apparently neither one of our FAs felt like they could get involved (they were both small) but thankfully two Marines stepped in and physically restrained the passenger on the floor. The interesting thing was that after that they had to protect him from several other passengers who were about ready to kill the guy. We declared, got direct STL and landed about 30 minutes later. When the cops met the plane and took the guy off in handcuffs they were none to gentle on him and managed to get him to trip going out the main cabin door and slam his face against the door frame. I pretty sure I heard his nose break from where I was sitting up front and it took about 20 minutes for a ramper in hazmat gear to clean up the blood. I learned a lot about denying boarding before you leave the gate that day.

Here's what I think we can take away from this occurrence today:

-Don't hit someone else's kid on a plane.

It can not result in anything positive. It will not yield the desired result (quiet), could possibly get the hitter attacked by the parent , and will probably result in a battery charge in court. Not to mention the hitter's name plastered all over the news.

It also results in a lot of paperwork for the crew, and we don't appreciate having to do paperwork. We're not getting paid for that crap.

Fwiw tiredcfi as a parent of young kids I do as much as I reasonably can to keep my kids quite while flying. I don't want them screaming any more then you do and I find it inconsiderate for them to be loud in a situation like that. That being said, hitting them won't make it better.

What is the name of the Malaysian (I think) airline that has child-free flights? I think this is an excellent idea. Maybe pay a little extra to be on a flight where you're guaranteed not to deal with screaming brats.

This would be even better on red eye flights.

What crawled up your posterior? We all know that the only thing more annoying than a screaming kid in public is a screaming kid on an airplane. I wish people would quit being pushovers as parents and do their f-ing job. If I screamed in public as a child, I got beat. No questions asked. Why does this not happen anymore?
Please tell me nobody pays someone with this logic to be entrusted with others? Or in public at all?

You obviously don't have kids, you think a 19 month old understands physical violence? How do I use the ignore feature on this site

Id be banned from Delta for life if this dude hit my kid. Its ok though, I would be happy to know the guy wouldn't be using his hands for a long time and would be eating his meals through a straw.

I almost want to become an FO for life just so I can watch how stupid people can be from the sidelines and hopefully not have the responsibility to deal with them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Back