FBI: Man Slapped Crying Toddler On Delta Flight

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/baby-slapped-on-plane-571923

FBI: Man Slapped Crying Toddler On Delta Flight

Suspect used racial slur before striking fellow passenger's son

FEBRUARY 15--After demanding that the mother of a crying toddler “shut that • baby up,” a male passenger allegedly slapped the 19-month-old across the face as a flight prepared to land in Atlanta last Friday evening, The Smoking Gun has learned.

The shocking February 8 incident aboard Delta Airlines Flight 721 resulted in Joe Rickey Hundley, 60, being charged with simple assault, according to a
U.S. District Court affidavit.
Hundley, seen at right, is president of an aircraft parts manufacturer headquartered in Hayden, Idaho.

In an interview, Hundley denied striking the toddler or using a racial slur, though he did acknowledge that he “asked the mother to quiet the child.” Hundley, who said he was traveling to Atlanta to visit a hospitalized relative, described himself as “distraught” on the flight, during which he said he consumed a single alcoholic drink.

As detailed by FBI Agent Daron Cheney, Hundley was traveling to Atlanta from Minneapolis in seat 28A on the MD-90 twin-engine jet. He was seated next to Jessica Bennett, who shared seat 28B with her son Jonah.

Bennett, 33, told investigators that the “aircraft was in final descent” to Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport when her child “started to cry due to the altitude change.” Bennett added that she “was trying to get [her son] to stop crying, but he continued.”

At this point, Bennett recalled, Hundley used the racial epithet as he told her to shut the child up. He then allegedly “turned around and slapped” the toddler in the face “with an open hand, which caused the juvenile victim to scream even louder.” The slap, Bennett said, “caused a scratch below [the child’s] right eye.”

After Hundley hit the child, Agent Cheney reported, Bennett received assistance from several other passengers, including Todd Wooten, who was in seat 16C. Wooten told agents that he “heard derogatory language coming from the rear of the aircraft” and got
jonahb.jpg
up to investigate. “According to Mr. Wooten,” Cheney noted, “he saw Joe Rickey Hundley strike” the toddler.

Bennett told TSG that she believed Hundley was intoxicated when he boarded the plane, adding that he “reeked of alcohol” and was “stumbling around wasted.” Bennett, who was traveling to a family funeral, said that Hundley drank several double vodkas during the two-hour flight and complained to her that her adopted son, seen at left, was too big to be a “lap baby.” Bennett’s Facebook profile photo shows her holding Jonah when he was a baby.

Hundley was charged this week with simple assault, according to a criminal complaint filed in federal court in Atlanta. If convicted of the misdemeanor count, he faces a maximum of one year in prison.

According to Virginia state court records, Hundley was arrested in 2007 following a fight with his girlfriend. Initially charged with simple assault, carrying a concealed weapon, and public intoxication, Hundley subsequently pleaded guilty to the misdemeanor assault rap. Hundley told TSG that the weapon he allegedly brandished was a wine corkscrew. (4 pages)

Oh sure, lot of Pollyanna's on this thread. Who among us hasn't turned around and slapped somebody's baby and then hurled a racial epithet at them. I'm for sure not casting the first stone here...except mine was a little Jewish kid - knocked his yarmulke about ten rows back...I was on Lufthansa so they gave me a free drink.

I see he lives in my neck of the woods, hope I dont run into him... I might just have to slap him upside the head to shut him up a little bit.

It amazes me how someone could think that slapping a kid would make them shut up... seriously.

I know it's annoying to listen to a kid cry, but if it was just his ears he'll stop when his ears finally pop. It can be a weird, scary, even painful feeling for a little kid on descent, but it passes.

But slapping a kid who's crying is NOT going to make them stop. That's just some seriously dumb-assed logic right there.

I most certainly am not. If the parents aren't doing their job, then I think someone else should to preserve peace on the airplane.

It is not your (or any stranger's) place to physically assault ANYONE on a plane. If you do, you will be arrested and charged with battery, because you have committed a crime.

If you want to be guaranteed a flight free of bothersome people, charter a plane or fly yourself. If you fly on an airline, you will be exposed to the "general public", which may include kids.

It is not your (or any stranger's) place to physically assault ANYONE on a plane. If you do, you will be arrested and charged with battery, because you have committed a crime.

If you want to be guaranteed a flight free of bothersome people, charter a plane or fly yourself. If you fly on an airline, you will be exposed to the "general public", which includes kids.

What crawled up your posterior? We all know that the only thing more annoying than a screaming kid in public is a screaming kid on an airplane. I wish people would quit being pushovers as parents and do their f-ing job. If I screamed in public as a child, I got beat. No questions asked. Why does this not happen anymore?

What crawled up your posterior? We all know that the only thing more annoying than a screaming kid in public is a screaming kid on an airplane. I wish people would quit being pushovers as parents and do their f-ing job. If I screamed in public as a child, I got beat. No questions asked. Why does this not happen anymore?
That's because your parents didn't love you.

A 2-year old (or baby/toddler) screaming on descent is probably not a behavior issue, it's probably an ear pain issue. Therefore, beating the child will NOT produce the response you are looking for. They're not going to be quiet if someone is hitting them! Why does that not make sense to you?

Now, a 4-5-6+ year old screaming on a plane has a MUCH higher probability of being a behavior issue, but again, on descent, it *could* be an ear issue. That is an entirely different ballgame altogether. Regardless of why even an older child is making noise, it is STILL a crime for you to assault & batter another person. I will agree that there is a LOT of bad parenting out there these days, but that does not give you (or anyone else) the right to physically assault someone.

And no, nothing has crawled up my posterior. I'm offering logical, unemotional facts here. You seem to be the one getting worked up. :)

"Bennett told TSG that she believed Hundley was intoxicated when he boarded the plane, adding that he “reeked of alcohol” and was “stumbling around wasted.” Bennett, who was traveling to a family funeral, said that Hundley drank several double vodkas during the two-hour flight."

If this is true, why and how he was allowed to board the flight in the first place if he was already drunk and then why he was served more alcohol? Wonder if they tested him after he was arrested.

Nobody enjoys being near a crying or screaming child, (and it's no picnic for the parents either, believe me) but crying and screaming happens. Even the most well behaved of children have their outbursts, moments or issues. It's par for the course. He's just a baby. (2 years old) He most likely was experiencing some ear pain and he's not old enough to understand that or know how to clear his tiny tubes. Kids that age get tired quickly and overwhelmed by crowds, confined spaces, strangers, etc., and he probably had, had a long day.

The flight was landing, it would be over soon, what exactly did he expect the Mom to do beyond what she was trying to do? Seems he has a history of problems with drinking and assault, according to the article. He's lucky the Mom didn't haul off and deck him. I am not going to get into what he called the child if this is also true, but the planet would be a better place without this type of moron in it.

A kid travelling is probably fatigued, overwhelmed by noises and sensations totally foreign to them, stuck in a tight space where they cannot burn off energy for hours at a time, experiencing ear pain because they dont know how to equalize pressure, possibly hungry, likely dehydrated, most certainly excited if not scared... but you have a right to peace and quiet because you paid $150 for a budget airline ticket to Las Vegas... tough crap Mr-The-World-Revolves-Around-Me. Stick some earphones in and mind your own damn business.

"If I screamed in public as a child, I got beat. No questions asked. Why does this not happen anymore?"

Because "beaten" is wrong.

Children-Beaten--76733.jpg

Back