Failed MMPI at PEPC?

Understandable. I'm not a huge proponent of that test. The experts just love it, but I think it's a crapshoot at best.

Are you guys certain that the ones that failed have to take the extended version? The woman i talked to that, i got from post 23 i think, Sandra Poland, said that i will be evaluated by a psychologist.

i got it earlier today from a (404) area code. on the phone they asked for my e-mail to send more information (papers to sign).

Hey guys,

I'm stressing big time I just got a voice mail regarding my medical from some lady with a (404) area code. Does this mean I failed my mmpi for sure??? Or can it mean another problem with my medical? Any info would be great.

ps. I've been reading info in this forum for months, but never had a question that wasn’t already answered till now. This made me come out of my hiding dammit!

Hey guys,

I'm stressing big time I just got a voice mail regarding my medical from some lady with a (404) area code. Does this mean I failed my mmpi for sure??? Or can it mean another problem with my medical? Any info would be great.

ps. I've been reading info in this forum for months, but never had a question that wasn’t already answered till now. This made me come out of my hiding dammit!

or...you are someone who posts regularly and you dont want us to know your :crazy:

bippoptl is this you???

Hey guys,

It could be about anything at this point. You should just give a call back tomorrow to find out what it is for sure.

Are you guys certain that the ones that failed have to take the extended version? The woman i talked to that, i got from post 23 i think, Sandra Poland, said that i will be evaluated by a psychologist.

My understanding is that you have a one on one interview with a psychologist and they evaluate you...

Ok so thats what that e-mail was about... I got an e-mail from a lady with a 404 area code saying she has not been able to contact me reference my medical clearance. I'm sure this is about failing the MMPI, which by the way is one of the dumbest things to measure a persons sanity. Anywho, I will call her Monday and go see this shrink, this ought to be fun.

just to clarify... i did put that i did not lie on the test.

and also... i don't know if this is the same for everyone, but i will have 2 seperate appointments with the psych. the first one is a one on one eval. the second is 4-6 of testing, similar to what we took at the PEPC.

I don't understand what you people are whining about regarding the MMPI. As far as psychological tests are concerned, it's pretty much the best way to obtain a personality profile for this particular position. The results tell your tendency to 1) lie and 2) determine your personality type. Why on earth would you answer a question untruthfully? The test is designed so that your first answer is the right answer. There is a scale that measures your answers versus the "standard", and you are mapped on a curve based on your answers. If your answers are outside the standard range, it throws up a red flag. There are certain qualifier questions that can determine your truth-telling (such as the infamous "Have you ever told a lie?" question).

Just answer the questions honestly. You won't be failed for not answering the questions the way you think they want you to answer them, but rather, you would more likely be rewarded for supplying a valid profile. The test is set up to determine if you are cut out for the job and how you handle everyday situations. If you lie, the test easily proves it, because you won't answer a similar question the same way.

I don't understand what you people are whining about regarding the MMPI. As far as psychological tests are concerned, it's pretty much the best way to obtain a personality profile for this particular position. The results tell your tendency to 1) lie and 2) determine your personality type. Why on earth would you answer a question untruthfully? The test is designed so that your first answer is the right answer. There is a scale that measures your answers versus the "standard", and you are mapped on a curve based on your answers. If your answers are outside the standard range, it throws up a red flag. There are certain qualifier questions that can determine your truth-telling (such as the infamous "Have you ever told a lie?" question).

Just answer the questions honestly. You won't be failed for not answering the questions the way you think they want you to answer them, but rather, you would more likely be rewarded for supplying a valid profile. The test is set up to determine if you are cut out for the job and how you handle everyday situations. If you lie, the test easily proves it, because you won't answer a similar question the same way.

Pardon my curiosity sir.... Have you taken the Federal Aviation Administrations version?

I don't understand what you people are whining about regarding the MMPI.

Maybe... Just maybe... It's the little nagging voice in my head that says a True/False questionaire can't accurately document the complexities of an individual's mind.

Also, "you people,?" I take offense, sir.

I don't understand what you people are whining about regarding the MMPI.

It probably has something to do with the fact that "these people" are worried that failing a test filled with completely arbitrary and asenine questions might cost them the chance to obtain their dream job. I realize that this test has been in use for many years and does create a somewhat accurate personality profile, but obviously it's not the 'be all end all' component, or they wouldn't be giving the people who failed an opportunity to clarify any problems flagged by the test. (On the FAA's dime, no less.) At any rate, I'm quite certain that anyone who failed the aforementioned test for any reason has every right to be concerned about it without having you ridicule them. I'm surprised that your arrogant post hasn't gotten you flamed yet; you certainly deserve to be, you dolt.

It probably has something to do with the fact that "these people" are worried that failing a test filled with completely arbitrary and asenine questions might cost them the chance to obtain their dream job. I realize that this test has been in use for many years and does create a somewhat accurate personality profile, but obviously it's not the 'be all end all' component, or they wouldn't be giving the people who failed an opportunity to clarify any problems flagged by the test. (On the FAA's dime, no less.) At any rate, I'm quite certain that anyone who failed the aforementioned test for any reason has every right to be concerned about it without having you ridicule them. I'm surprised that your arrogant post hasn't gotten you flamed yet; you certainly deserve to be, you dolt.

I don't see how I would be considered a dolt, and the post was not arrogant. Folks here are complaining about a standardized test that accurately profiles an individual based on measured responses to scientifically-formulated questions. The test is designed to measure your accurate responses to questions by asking them in different ways. If the test were to ask if you have ever smoked marijuana, and you say, "No", and then it later asks if you have ever taken recreational drugs, and you say. "Yes," then it knows you are lying. While its main intent was to diagnose mental issues, the MMPI also functions to determine the test taker's individual personality structure.

"Failing" the MMPI means that the answers to some of your questions were outside the boundaries set by the test. As we have read on here already, there are people who have answered the question of, "Have you ever lied?" by responding, "No." THAT IS WHAT THIS TEST IS DESIGNED TO DO. In much the same way as the Myers-Briggs test, the MMPI can detect people trying to game the system, even if the people did not do so intentionally. That is why they are being told to retake the test - if the new test results line up correctly, then there should be no problems. If, however, the answers line up outside the boundaries again, then either the person is not qualified for this position or he/she is trying to answer them non-emotionally. Your first answer is always the right answer on these tests. There is no "right way" to answer a question, because attempting to do so will trip you up in a later question. The questions are neither arbitrary nor asinine, but rather qualifiers.

Short of having psychologists on the payroll to test each individual in an interview setting, this is the cheapest and most accurate method of initially weeding out those that are not cut out for the position.

This is from someone who is married to a girl going in to a clinical psych program, who, oddly enough, just got through talking about the MMPI in class.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Multiphasic_Personality_Inventory

Now watch me (hopefully) get a PEPC invite and fail the MMPI. Then I'll be right back here with the rest of you. :D

If by answering that I do not suffer from constipation more than once a week somehow "qualifies" me for this job, I withdraw myself from consideration.

i think they are looking for a "YES" to the constipation question. because if you do then you wont have to take as many bathroom breaks. :rotfl:

You know what, i still haven't gotten a call from the FAA saying that i failed it, even though Sandra Poland told me i was just on a list that said i didn't pass...I don't know this is just weird, i'm still waiting for my TOL that should come this week.

Paranoid........ these are the questions I remember most...

People are out to get you. False
Sometimes I feel like everyone wants to see me fail. False
I have failed because others made me. False
Most people get to the top by stepping on others. False
People will think i am nuts after this test because they want to see me fail. False.

I think this test is more about consistency than anything... They tell you that you can't fool the test..... but imagine if i answered the above t,f,t,f,t,f.....
I think I'd be seen as nuts.. I swear....there were times during the test that I thought....what do they want me to say.....what did i say earlier....

i was just honest though...

This is totally right, as well as the points made by jermscentral

This is NOT AN EMPLOYMENT SCREENING. It is a medical test. It is designed to test your consistency, against the public and against yourself. If you go in thinking "what do they want me to say?" then the test will know that and it will spit you out as failing.

We've all taken the stupid questionnaire in the back office at McDonalds asking if you've ever stolen something from work or if you think you're an above average worker (and you're thinking, of course I'm not above average, I'm applying for a job at McDonalds).

Anyway, these questionnaires are not subjected to the rigourous vetting for validity that test like the MMPI are. They are not made by porfessionals and they are not accurate, that's why you lie when you say that you've never stolen anything from work even as you recall that pen that you acciently took home that one time. The MMPI is not the same.

Saying you were a bindge drinker in college is not going to cost you your job. In fact, no human will probably ever look at this one answer. This answer will be averaged out with your other answers in whatever trait it represents and compared to everyone else who ever took the test. Oh, And BTW, the largest test taking group of inventories like this is college freshmen.

Back