Failed MMPI at PEPC?

You don't have to over think that to come to a potential cross roads. I'll cut myself off here, it's obviously a touchy subject for me since I check my messages everyday waiting for my damn rep to call me back with ANY news. 2 months 10 days and counting since I RETOOK the mmpi and no word...

ya i feel the same way..its been since Pubnat 2 since i first started this terrible circus act.

i retook my MMPI in march...still no news. Infact the medical office really hasnt told me anything or even acted like they knew where my MMPI was at the moment.

When I took the test it was done on paper and the Dr. entered the info into the computer when I was taking the second 200+ test. There were things on there such as "ever had a run in with the law" (or something like that) . I put yes. The Dr. at the end of the test asked me a few questions about some of the answers that were given. I told her when I was a kid I broke out a street light with a cousin using a football when the police were called. Nothing happened to me but it did happen. The Dr. agreed that I made a good choice in answering even though it was so long ago. Showed that I was being as honest as I could be. Who knows I may be number 2. :banghead:

Originally Posted by ineedatc

Heck, they dont send out the letter to the curent employer until they are planning to or have given you a FOL. At least that is what I have read here on JC. A whole lot in this process boggles the mind, but I dont think the Feds would purposely draw much attention to your current employer if they did not know you would be on your way to the academy.
Anyone else agree with this. I hope so, makes a fella feel a bit of relief.

When I took the test it was done on paper and the Dr. entered the info into the computer when I was taking the second 200+ test. There were things on there such as "ever had a run in with the law" (or something like that) . I put yes. The Dr. at the end of the test asked me a few questions about some of the answers that were given. I told her when I was a kid I broke out a street light with a cousin using a football when the police were called. Nothing happened to me but it did happen. The Dr. agreed that I made a good choice in answering even though it was so long ago. Showed that I was being as honest as I could be. Who knows I may be number 2. :banghead:

my psych made it seem as if i was an alcoholic. "it says here that you say you consume more than 3 drinks at a time about two to three times a year? what do you mean by that?"

"yeah when i go to a football game i have a few beers"

"so you're saying you get drunk?"

:banghead:

I have not yet received my fate yet for my test, I am going to try tomorrow and find out but I have to agree with most on here about some of the questions.

there were many no brainers like do you love your mother, or have you ever lied. Those are straight yes and no answers.

But the other half of the questions made we want to be able to write footnotes to explain why I chose the answer.

made up question: have you ever blown things up? Am I a unabomber that likes to make homemade bombs no But I like a firework or 2 on the 4th of july.

Its just some questions I found myself thinking to much because I could go either way with my answer, like above yes I have had a beer before but I dont sit at home in the dark every night drinking a case because I hate my life.

I know this is a standardized test but I believe I think to much to give it a 100% correct evaluation of my crazy brain.

I think your best bet is to add "most of the time" to every question.

I drink to excess...most of the time? no

I blow things up...most of the time? no

I love my mother...most of the time? no...I mean yes...crap...I just failed

I think your best bet is to add "most of the time" to every question.

I drink to excess...most of the time? no

I blow things up...most of the time? no

I love my mother...most of the time? no...I mean yes...crap...I just failed
You know, in all seriousness this might be a good way to approach it.

Originally Posted by ineedatc

Heck, they dont send out the letter to the curent employer until they are planning to or have given you a FOL. At least that is what I have read here on JC. A whole lot in this process boggles the mind, but I dont think the Feds would purposely draw much attention to your current employer if they did not know you would be on your way to the academy.
------------------

This could technically be true. The letter to your current employer goes out as part of your security/background check, which happens after your PEPC date. You don't get your FOL until all of your clearances have come back clean and a class date is available for you. It's yours to lose once you have your PEPC or non-PEPC route selected. If you fail the MMPI, you delay your screening. If your background doesn't come back showing you as a reliable, trustworthy American citizen, you get delayed/disqualified.

The feds don't purposefully draw much attention to your current employer as it is. They send the bubble sheet moreso for employment verification and to make sure you're a person that shows up on time, is professional, etc. -- not to say, "Hey, this guy applied to work with us and didn't tell you... just so you know!"

This could technically be true. The letter to your current employer goes out as part of your security/background check, which happens after your PEPC date. You don't get your FOL until all of your clearances have come back clean and a class date is available for you. It's yours to lose once you have your PEPC or non-PEPC route selected. If you fail the MMPI, you delay your screening. If your background doesn't come back showing you as a reliable, trustworthy American citizen, you get delayed/disqualified.

The feds don't purposefully draw much attention to your current employer as it is. They send the bubble sheet moreso for employment verification and to make sure you're a person that shows up on time, is professional, etc. -- not to say, "Hey, this guy applied to work with us and didn't tell you... just so you know!"

ya, i saw the bubble sheet myself...

most of the 8 questions were just no brainer like "does this employee openly do drugs?" or "has he ever shown signs of killing someone?"

i think the only reason for it to be sent would be employment verification as well.

Chalk another one up. Sounds like a lot of March Chicago PEPC-ers failed this thing. And there was a hold up because of a "scoring issue." Seems fishy. WTF?

Im another chicago pepc'er that will be doing a tier 2. Just more waiting to add to the list I guess. It seems like the list of people failing just keeps getting bigger with each pepc.

Oh well, I guess I have some more waiting to do until end of june when the medical office said I can expect the retest.

Are you guys calling the office for notification, or are they calling those that need further testing?

Chalk another one up. Sounds like a lot of March Chicago PEPC-ers failed this thing. And there was a hold up because of a "scoring issue." Seems fishy. WTF?

yup.. over 25% of the NYC PEPC failed.

the good news is that ive only heard of one person failing thier tier 2 and even then they got it amended.

bad news is were getting put off for 2 to 4 months.

I called to get the information, and I guess one good thing about the wait is that I was not going to even hear anything about a class date until oct.

So really even though everything is still up in the air now pending retest its not going to change anything for most of us. Or at least most of 3/4 because unless we were going to a high need area we were on the shelf anyways.

Could anyone who already had their tier-2 examination post about what it is like with the psychologist? Since I heard that I have to redo this MMPI thing, I've read this entire thread and found no info on what to expect with the psychologist.

Is is like a regular interview? Do they ask questions from the MMPI specifically for you to explain yourself? Do you talk to the psych before or after you retake the tests? etc. Elaborate posts appreciated!

Could anyone who already had their tier-2 examination post about what it is like with the psychologist? Since I heard that I have to redo this MMPI thing, I've read this entire thread and found no info on what to expect with the psychologist.

Is is like a regular interview? Do they ask questions from the MMPI specifically for you to explain yourself? Do you talk to the psych before or after you retake the tests? etc. Elaborate posts appreciated!

thats not true because ive posted what happened in detail myself... but ill rehash the terrible experience again...

Keep in mind though that these are paid civilian psychologists so the process might be slightly different depending on how he approaches the interview.

I took the interview before the tests in my case. It wont be like the interview you took at your PEPC. It will be more questions targeted towards your mental health like "have you ever beat an animal" or "do you ever have trouble swallowing". Then he'll go through a hour long process of word tests that are designed to fail you. Just go through them the best you can because it's measuring your ability to take failure well more than to see if you can speak or read. An example of this is a bulletin board full of words that you are required to read aloud. the words will go from super easy to words that im pretty sure dont exist. throughout the word tests he will ask you the same few questions over and over to see if your short term memory is working. thats basically how the interview worked for me.

afterwards i was required to take the MMPI-2 over again..pretty self explanitory.

Then you will take the PAI or similiar test that is exactly like the MMPI except that it has "false" to " mostly true" as answers.

hope that helped.

My re-take was almost like the post above with a few differences. The psychologist first had me re-take the MMPI test. Halfway in-between she brought me into her office to talk about my life growing up as a child, school, relationships, etc... I wasn't nervous until she told me that approx half the applicants she examines ends up not passing. After my interview, I finished the MMPI and started taking some other tests with similar questions. About 15 minutes after completing my MMPI the shrink calls me back into her office to discuss my results from the previous test. Turns out some of the questions that raised a flag were me just over analyzing them. Stupid questions like--Do you have more fears than most of your friends? I answered true and I remember thinking hard about this one when testing. I didn't know what to put. I explained to the shrink that I don't feel like I have more or less fears than anyone really. I didn't want to seem like I was hiding anything so I didn't put false. I didn't see the harm in putting true. I was released to complete my testing after finishing a few more questions that were on the test. I didn’t have a good feeling about the entire process. It took about 7 weeks for me to get my results back. Those of you waiting for the re-take keep your heads up. It's a long pain in the arse process but try not to let it consume you. It's worth the wait once you get the good news back.

Im on my 9th week and still no info on my retest info. Im from the NYC PEPC and retested on March 31st. If anyone is crazy its the shrink that retested me. But hey hopefully my long freaking wait isn't a bad thing. Last I heard my security hasnt been cleared either. :banghead:

I was in the March 09 PEPC in Chicago. I spoke with a rep up there yesterday who stated that they would do a mass email to those that failed the MMPI on Friday. Apparently it will contain the release form so that we can get that notorized and back to them. You need to get this back to them before they set you up with a shrink. On another note for those of you have gone through this process and passed please pass along any tips that you may have for us just starting the retake process. I am not sure about some of you but this really threw me for a loop, and I am just looking for tips and any pertinent information to get me through this.

Back