FAA Legal Interpretations

Bandit_Driver

Gold Member
Is there any way to search to see what the FAA legal counsel has already issued interpretations on? or is info locked away in Lexis-Nexsis.

Off topic here, but to attorneys/firms still have a room full of books with previous rulings or is this all electronic now?

Off topic here, but to attorneys/firms still have a room full of books with previous rulings or is this all electronic now?
The publicly-available Chief Counsel interpretations and NTSB decisions (available here) are limited in how far back they go. So there is still a multi-volume set of hardcopy books. I have a feeling it hasn't been updated in a while due to the limited market and availability of current materials, but last ime I checked the set cost about $650.

In terms of a general "room full of books," most everything is electronic at this point but hardcopy is still published. As with everything else, there are those who still like the feel of a book and find it easier to read and digest paper. Besides, does't this
gavelandlawbooks.jpg

just look better than this?
legal-laptop-370x229.jpg

The publicly-available Chief Counsel interpretations and NTSB decisions (available here) are limited in how far back they go. So there is still a multi-volume set of hardcopy books.

Finding the FAA Legal Opinions and Chief Counsel's Opinions is doable and so so is getting the proceedings in front of the full NTSB. But, is there an online source for the decisions of the ALJ's that didn't advance to the full NTSB?

Finding the FAA Legal Opinions and Chief Counsel's Opinions is doable and so so is getting the proceedings in front of the full NTSB. But, is there an online source for the decisions of the ALJ's that didn't advance to the full NTSB?
I'm not aware of any formal publishing of NTSB first round ALJ decisions. Just the appellate full board ones.

Regardless of what the NTSB thinks when a case makes its way to them shouldn't the FSDOs be strictly held to these opinions from National until told otherwise? They are the official guidance from FAA National peeps and the FSDOs obviously just pick and choose what they want to follow. 24/7 on call seems to be the biggest FAA/FSDO failure.

Logically, you would think so but as a practical matter it doesn't always work out that way. Each situation or fact pattern underlying an opinion is often sufficiently distinguishable from the specific circumstances surrounding a real life situation to allow the FAA to apply their own "reasonable" interpretation. The same holds true for NTSB decisions on similar matters although in some cases they do result in general policy changes that have a binding effect on the entire agency. Keep in mind that the FAA - as an administrative agency - has extremely broad discretion - and for good reason. The extremely technical and dynamic nature of the aviation industry requires that the FAA be able to use their sound discretion in administering the rules. Of course, examples abound where individual inspectors or managers have been unreasonable in one way or another. And, that is why people like MidlifeFlyer and I are here. lol

The publicly-available Chief Counsel interpretations and NTSB decisions (available here) are limited in how far back they go. So there is still a multi-volume set of hardcopy books. I have a feeling it hasn't been updated in a while due to the limited market and availability of current materials, but last ime I checked the set cost about $650.

In terms of a general "room full of books," most everything is electronic at this point but hardcopy is still published. As with everything else, there are those who still like the feel of a book and find it easier to read and digest paper. Besides, does't this
gavelandlawbooks.jpg

just look better than this?
legal-laptop-370x229.jpg

I kept my room full of books from law school (really about half a bookshelf) as a reminder to not make terrible decisions ever again.

Back