F-16 Wheels Up Landing - 3/7/2020

fholbert

Mod's - Please don't edit my posts!
Not a big deal. Happens sometimes.

I posted it because I don't see any crash trucks?

Date:07-MAR-2022
Time:
Type:
Silhouette image of generic F16 model; specific model in this crash may look slightly different

General Dynamics F-16
Owner/operator:U.S Air Force
MSN:
Fatalities:Fatalities: 0 / Occupants:
Other fatalities:0
Aircraft damage:Unknown
I.gif
Italy
Phase:Landing
Nature:Military
Departure airport:
Destination airport:
Narrative:
An F-16 from the USAF 31st Fighter Wing performed a gear-up landing at Aviano Air Base, Italy. It operated on a an armed overwatch patrol mission as part of NATO’s enhanced Air Policing Mission.

Attachments

• 1646684969017.png
    1646684969017.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 15
Lost the left main wheel on takeoff. Decided to belly in instead of trying to land on 2 of 3 wheels

Don’t want to land on 2 of 3, even 2 mains, on those, unless maybe with a center rack. All up is the best option, or controlled bailout.

Don’t want to land on 2 of 3, even 2 mains, on those, unless maybe with a center rack. All up is the best option, or controlled bailout.
It said the plane was on an armed mission. I assume the pilot jettisoned the ordinance before landing. Would he/she just go out to a range or over the ocean to get rid of their ordinance?

I note that Aviano has a single runway. Is that a significant consideration for not foaming-up the runway?

I still have a question. If it was a planned wheels up, where are the crash trucks?

The F16 is so cool it makes it seem like it was designed to land this way every time.

Back