Emotional support what now?

Roger Roger

Bottom of the list
People are weird.
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/27505135/pig-us-airways-plane
"Laura Masvidal, a spokeswoman for U.S. Airways parent American Airlines, said Friday the pig was brought aboard by a passenger as an emotional support animal.

She said both the pig and its owner left the aircraft before it took off.

Jonathan Skolnik, a University of Massachusetts professor who was also a passenger, told ABC News that the pig - which he estimated to weigh about 50-70 pounds, was on a leash but began walking back and forth."

There are all manner of support animals. If she had picked an animal more in line with either you or the writers preference. Say a Labrador, Golden Retriever or a German Shepherd. Would you have posted this thread, would the writer of the article wrote his piece?

There are all manner of support animals. If she had picked an animal more in line with either you or the writers preference. Say a Labrador, Golden Retriever or a German Shepherd. Would you have posted this thread, would the writer of the article wrote his piece?

Read up what it takes to get an ESA.

Then see how easy it is to scam the system.

Read up what it takes to get an ESA.

Then see how easy it is to scam the system.

Maybe. But there really are ESA pigs. I've seen them. But they were about as big as rat dogs though.

But from a psychological perspective after serious trauma, people often need some sort of "totem" for support/strength. Touch and companionship are very powerful things to us humans, as we're social creatures.
Recently there was a young boy who had been abused by his mother who constantly covered his face in fear and refused to ever show his face. He wore only Spiderman pj's. The pj's of a known superhero gave the boy strength to face the day when he had none.

Another extreme example would be the movie, Lars and the Real Girl.

Last edited:
I once dated a girl from the cross-town Catholic women's college. I nearly lost it when she said her major was "Equine Therapy."

And I say you should probably stick to flying airplanes. Obviously your only area of expertise.

I don't doubt animals provide many emotional benefits to their owners, I just think it's crap I have to be around them in public places like airplanes or restaurants when their owner doesn't have a disability like blindness.

I also didn't claim to be an expert, I said that's how I feel. Can I not have an opinion, or should I just never voice my feelings if they conflict with yours?

Do you have an emotional support animal?

I once dated a girl from the cross-town Catholic women's college. I nearly lost it when she said her major was "Equine Therapy."

Ummmm... Equine therapy is a pretty big deal. It's about many things, but probably one of the biggest aspects of it is learning to trust again. The rider and the horse, have to trust each other and work together. It's proven successful therapy. Again children and adults going into Equine therapy have suffered major trauma, and the horses are used as a medium to shed their fears and begin to readjust. And come out from the shadows of their pain.

I think that if you feel you need a 50 pound pig accompanying you in public you probably need to avoid spending hours at a time in a tiny aluminum tube with hundreds of other people.

I also think that a lot of the "emotional support animals" are wackos buying a phony certificate and jacket off eBay so they don't have to crate mr snuffles on the airplane like normal people do.

I don't doubt animals provide many emotional benefits to their owners, I just think it's crap I have to be around them in public places like airplanes or restaurants when their owner doesn't have a disability like blindness.

I also didn't claim to be an expert, I said that's how I feel. Can I not have an opinion, or should I just never voice my feelings if they conflict with yours?

Do you have an emotional support animal?

Nope. But going to school for Clinical Psychology.

Feel free to test my knowledge/experience.

And to a minor degree, most people already have emotional support animals.

They're called our pets.

Maybe. But there really are ESA pigs. I've seen them. But they were about as big as rat dogs though.

But from a psychological perspective after serious trauma, people often need some sort of "totem" for support/strength. Touch and companionship are very powerful things to us humans, as we're social creatures.
Recently there was a young boy who had been abused by his mother who constantly covered his face in fear and wore only Spiderman pj's. The pj's of a known superhero gave the boy strength to face the day when he had none.

Another extreme example would be the movie, Lars and the Real Girl.

Yes, there are legitimate Emotional Support Animals. I have no problem and completely understand the need.

What I have a problem with are those who just want to take their pet everywhere with them for free.

Take a look at this article.

I think that if you feel you need a 50 pound pig accompanying you in public you probably need to avoid spending hours at a time in a tiny aluminum tube with hundreds of other people.

I also think that a lot of the "emotional support animals" are wackos buying a phony certificate and jacket off eBay so they don't have to crate mr snuffles on the airplane like normal people do.

Drive yourself around. Hmmm... well what if you suffer from agoraphobia. Or you have a panic/anxiety disorder/PTSD.

Any of that real enough for you?

Last edited:
Yes, there are legitimate Emotional Support Animals. I have no problem and completely understand the need.

What I have a problem with are those who just want to take their pet everywhere with them for free.

Take a look at this article.

There are always going to be people who try to take advantage of something, for their own gain. But those people/examples shouldn't be a stain on a whole successful and proven program.

Nope. But going to school for Clinical Psychology.

Feel free to test my knowledge/experience.

And to a minor degree, most people already have emotional support animals.

They're called our pets.

I don't feel the need to question a clinical psychology student.

I have no problem with pets in people's homes. I do possibly have mental issues though and am freaked out by germs transmitted my people and even more so by germs transmitted by animals that have abysmal hygiene regardless of how often they are bathed by their owners.

If you need so much consideration for your mental issues please give the same consideration to mine.

People are weird.
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/27505135/pig-us-airways-plane
"Laura Masvidal, a spokeswoman for U.S. Airways parent American Airlines, said Friday the pig was brought aboard by a passenger as an emotional support animal.

She said both the pig and its owner left the aircraft before it took off.

Jonathan Skolnik, a University of Massachusetts professor who was also a passenger, told ABC News that the pig - which he estimated to weigh about 50-70 pounds, was on a leash but began walking back and forth."

Furthermore... why does it always seem when something weird happens with the airlines, it is usually Airways that is involved?

No, no hilarity..just knew at this and just communicating.
Dwight

Ok, sorry, Dwight. You're looking for a portable stretcher, though? Maybe I'm the one missing the plot here, but I don't see what this thread has to do with that request. May I suggest posting "Looking for a portable stretcher part # whatever" in the appropriate sub-forum? Internet boards are kind of confusing if you're not used to them. Perhaps try "The Trading Post" or "Off Topic"?

Back