Electronic copy of medical

Northtechsan

Would it be sufficient to have a digital copy of a medical certificate in my smart phone/tablet or must I carry the original medical certificate.

If you are pulled over by the police and asked to see your license and registration, would you pull out your smartphone instead and show a photo of those documents? Or perhaps a smartphone photo of your passport next time on in international trip?

(OK, yes, some day that probably will be the case; but I'm not aware of any state or federal agency permits using a duplicate of an official document that is required to be carried on one's person)

Doesn't geico offer an electronic insurance card or something? And i always use a electronic boarding pass when I fly commercial flights.

I think a couple of states have laws on the books allowing this.

Funny you use the law enforcement example. I am a Police Officer and I accept electronic copies of those documents all the time. In Texas were I work we have statewide computer databases availbe in the patrol car or by data terminal operated by disptach. Law is on the books in Texas for insrance. (TxTC 601.052 (2-a)). There are laws on the books that require a physical driver license but as a matter or practice if a citizen provides verifiable information Name, DOB, address, etc. and if the driver record can be looked up on the computer in the car, or by dispatch we dont typicaly enforce it. There is no requirement to carry a registration recipet in a non-comermecial motor vehicle.

I guess I send a request to the Office of the Chief Counsel.

I've heard multiple anecdotal reports of FAA inspectors accepting electronic copies of certificates during the ramp checks. That said 14 CFR 61.3 doesn't leave much room for interpretation. I have copies of all my certificates on the phone and dropbox but I still carry them when I fly.

Also it's funny that on my last three international trips I had to pull out the passport once and only to scan it at the kiosk machine.

Some states are allowing certain documents to be presented electronically. Similarly, many enforcement officials will take a common sense approach and - assuming the electronic record/picture/what-have-you appears legit, will accept it as satisfactory proof despite the fact that not having the hard copy might be a technical violation. However, at this point in time, I am not aware of any change in FAA policy on this issue. Until there is some official policy or regulatory change, go with the hard copy.

I don't think we're talking about electronic documents in general. Electronic submission and eSigning of documents exists in the federal government and in many states. Tax returns, court pleadings, entity formation documents, real estate deeds and mortgages, etc, etc are, depending on the state, capable of being signed and filed electronically using accepted verification procedures.

What we are talking about in the case of pilot and medical certificates is nothing more than the digital equivalent of a photocopy. I would not expect a LEO pulling me over for a traffic violation to accept a photocopy of my drivers license. The issue is visible authenticity. For example, my driver's license has watermarks that would not appear on a copy or be difficult to counterfeit. I would expect states going the digital route for licenses and certificates that need to be carried on one's person to have similar methods of immediate verification, not only by LEOs but by the guy or gal serving you drinks at a restaurant, bar or sports arena.

I don't doubt there are those who would accept a duplicate and there is probably no reason why an FAA certificate or medical "needs" to be an original. Heck, with nothing more that a photo ID, they can just look you up and verify you are a pilot and have a medical. But in that case, there's no need to a duplicate either, right?

Here's a scenario where I think it's not a bad idea to have an electronic copy:

Where I work we have these fancy Ipad's rather than paper charts and manuals. It could easily store a copy of my pilots license and medical. I'm supposed to carry a hard copy of my certificates and I always do. No big deal. But let's say I somehow did lose a paper certificate and didn't know it, then get ramp checked. I think it might placate the FAA guy if I could whip out the Ipad and show him my certificates. Might help. Might not. But I think it's worth the effort.

Here's a scenario where I think it's not a bad idea to have an electronic copy:

Where I work we have these fancy Ipad's rather than paper charts and manuals. It could easily store a copy of my pilots license and medical. I'm supposed to carry a hard copy of my certificates and I always do. No big deal. But let's say I somehow did lose a paper certificate and didn't know it, then get ramp checked. I think it might placate the FAA guy if I could whip out the Ipad and show him my certificates. Might help. Might not. But I think it's worth the effort.
Absolutely. For example, it has been a regular recommendation for years that people keep a copy of their passport on international trips. Not because it can replace the original, but because it may make it easier to obtain the necessary clearances from an embassy if the original is lost.

I don't think we're talking about electronic documents in general. Electronic submission and eSigning of documents exists in the federal government and in many states. Tax returns, court pleadings, entity formation documents, real estate deeds and mortgages, etc, etc are, depending on the state, capable of being signed and filed electronically using accepted verification procedures.

What we are talking about in the case of pilot and medical certificates is nothing more than the digital equivalent of a photocopy. I would not expect a LEO pulling me over for a traffic violation to accept a photocopy of my drivers license. The issue is visible authenticity. For example, my driver's license has watermarks that would not appear on a copy or be difficult to counterfeit. I would expect states going the digital route for licenses and certificates that need to be carried on one's person to have similar methods of immediate verification, not only by LEOs but by the guy or gal serving you drinks at a restaurant, bar or sports arena.

I don't doubt there are those who would accept a duplicate and there is probably no reason why an FAA certificate or medical "needs" to be an original. Heck, with nothing more that a photo ID, they can just look you up and verify you are a pilot and have a medical. But in that case, there's no need to a duplicate either, right?
I agree. On a side note, when was the last time either one of us had to prove our age to buy a drink? lol!

Back