Early 1990's all over again :(

derg

Apparently a "terse" writer
Staff member
Early 1990\'s all over again :(

Some emailed me the following this afternoon.

I almost want to purge the 6" subway turkey sandwich I just ate...

Use free first officers for your transport aircraft. Reduce your operating expenses! We provide F/O's typed in the A/C of your choice. They will fly for your company NO SALARY or any other COMPENSATION, plus we pay a fee for your company.

Contact Stephen Hoinville at
EAGLE JET INTERNATIONAL, MIA.
TEL 1-305-278-0012
FAX 1-305-378-8925

Re: Early 1990\'s all over again :(

Someone posted that same thing over at Flightinfo...needless to say it turned into yet another 4 page flame war over PFT.

I agree very sad to see that though.

Doug-(just a little off the topic) the situation we have now is much worse than the early 1990's. Preemptive war by the U.S, extraordinarly high fuel price, fear of SARS, and terrorism will leave most of the airlines on the red ink again this year. My guess is that most Major airlines won't even look at hiring "fresh" pilots until late 2005 or even later. Now-going back to the orginal topic of this thread-one can only witness those false ads by visting a flight school or any local FBOs, where five CFIs are dozning with nothing to do!

Ahhhhh Doug...the memories........

MD

I think I'm going to be sick...

EagleJet Pricing

Geez, and I'll bet you a dollar that some bozo is going to ask mom or dad for $70,000 for a 737-800 type rating and 500 of line experience..

Upph, errrk *gurgle*

Man, I really feel nauseous.

Of course I can't back up my opinion on kids blowing their parent's money on this trash and I know someone's got an uncle who has a friend who knows a barber that got a job after doing this, but this is sick any way you look at it.

WTF!!!?? That is bullsh**! You have to stoop pretty low and be pretty desperate (and / or pretty rich) to do that... Isn't there some kind of mentality among hiring boards that looks down on people like this?

That could be the future if we don't watch it.

Imagine someone paying a major airline to operate their revenue flights with passengers aboard.

The scenario would be something like only captains are hired from the ranks of pilots who amassed enough "credits" to apply for a job. Then the right seat is filled with new program "participants" eagerly working towards enough credits to hold a full time position. Instead of costing the airline $50,000 to $75,000 to staff the right seat for six months, some bozo would actually pay $50,000 to $70,000 for the priviledge to sit right seat. I'll bet you Wall Street would love this concept.

After all, we're all just mindless, overpaid button pushers, eh?
smile.gif

The possibilities are chilling.

[ QUOTE ]
6" subway turkey sandwich I just ate...

[/ QUOTE ]

mmmmm subway sandwich.....

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of costing the airline $50,000 to $75,000 to staff the right seat for six months, some bozo would actually pay $50,000 to $70,000 for the priviledge to sit right seat. I'll bet you Wall Street would love this concept.

After all, we're all just mindless, overpaid button pushers, eh?
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wall Street has got to be the biggest collection of people with large IQs who somehow manage to come up with dumb ideas. Let's throw billions, no, trillions, of dollars on companies with no business plan and no assets just because they have "dot com" in their name!

But for some reason, I don't see folks like you rolling over and letting the scenario you mentioned coming to pass. I cannot see any of the unions letting that happen.

Of course, there are people who will tell me that I'm just being greedy and worrying about money too much, but what can you do?

Organized labor has the equivalent to a pea shooter with the current administration and the powers that be in media.

Notice the following in labor-related press releases: Union "demands", Management "offers".

Why would anyone ever do that? It boggles my mind. It can't be real.
frown.gif

Yeah, but you can still shut down an airline and nowadays, with them flirting with Chapter 11 if you do strike that's pretty powerful.

McCain's bill hasn't passed yet

grin.gif

As for the media, I just don't get them. They talk about union solidarity and there were a bunch of newspaper reporters who withheld the use of their names in bylines to make a point but for some reason, they have it in for aviation unions.

There is one saving grace with Eagle Jet-they are not set up for financing through traditional sources of pilot debt such as Key Bank. Makes it a little harder to spend $70K when you can't get it.

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but you can still shut down an airline and nowadays, with them flirting with Chapter 11 if you do strike that's pretty powerful.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, actually they can't. Under the current "interpretation" of the RWLA the President has the authority to step into any airline strike and order arbitration. Luckily, I don't think it's binding, but it still means everyone on the picket line has to go back to the cockpit, galley, hangar etc.

The other side of the coin is, because the airlines are so bad off financially a strike may be the "right" thing to do on one hand but on the other, in reality, the strike may just kill the airline all together and then everyone is out of a job.

It's a catch-22 right now and it proves just how little power unions really have - very much unlike the propaganda management spews about being dominated and held hostage by the labor groups.

I'm as pro-union as they come, and without unions every airline out there would be a Great Lakes or Freedom Air but the reality of it is they just aren't as powerful as management likes to claim they are.
frown.gif

[ QUOTE ]
No, actually they can't. Under the current "interpretation" of the RWLA the President has the authority to step into any airline strike and order arbitration. Luckily, I don't think it's binding, but it still means everyone on the picket line has to go back to the cockpit, galley, hangar etc.

The other side of the coin is, because the airlines are so bad off financially a strike may be the "right" thing to do on one hand but on the other, in reality, the strike may just kill the airline all together and then everyone is out of a job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is that the case? I thought that the President can only order a 60 day cooling off period. I could be wrong, I am far from an expert on this aspect of aviation.

And you're right about shutting down an airline being the cause of a chapter 11 filing, but if they start to shaft you as badly as the situation we were talking about where you have to PAY $60K to fly in the right hand seat as opposed to getting paid to do it, who the hell would want to fly anyway?

Never mind, don't answer that. Apparently there are some people who are.

Nah, we can't legally strike until "released" by the National Mediation Board.

We're not in negotiations over an expired contract so the whole strike weapon doesn't work.

[ QUOTE ]

McCain's bill hasn't passed yet

[/ QUOTE ]

Even if it does, I think that we'll always be able to "work to rule." I've heard that was the concept that UAL pilots used in the 90s to delay virtually all flights without actually striking.

Back