Eagle Management Comes Back to the Table Despite Threats

Probably stolen from @Minuteman 's browser history.

bUXiudo.gif

You mean like what you're doing? Because you're certainly not a professional negotiator. Watching somebody work, and then claiming to know what you're doing means that I can drive the Space Shuttle.

Come on really? I can tell you now that being in a role of leadership that interacted with management daily put me in "fun" situations...... Having VPs pull you to the side and threaten you on an upcoming vote, telling you how to do your leadership job etc, are all side affects of negotiations.... I was never at the table but certainly was kept informed by those who were.....

Having been pulled aside not only through our contract talks, but then when I was leaving my regional, on a LOA was something most never experience.

It never made me change my stand but I can guarantee Seggy and Todd along with Ethan and others have been in direct fire and know more on this issue then those beating their chest and have ZERO experience of even being a committee member or attending a LEC meeting.....

Come on really? I can tell you now that being in a role of leadership that interacted with management daily put me in "fun" situations...... Having VPs pull you to the side and threaten you on an upcoming vote, telling you how to do your leadership job etc, are all side affects of negotiations.... I was never at the table but certainly was kept informed by those who were.....

Having been pulled aside not only through our contract talks, but then when I was leaving my regional, on a LOA was something most never experience.

It never made me change my stand but I can guarantee Seggy and Todd along with Ethan and others have been in direct fire and know more on this issue then those beating their chest and have ZERO experience of even being a committee member or attending a LEC meeting.....

Whatever you say, boss. Some folks volunteer without trumpeting it to the rest of the world.

Whatever you say, boss. Some folks volunteer without trumpeting it to the rest of the world.

It's easy for management to know who you are when your position puts you in front of them..... Doubtful many are
"Trumpeting" such.... I believe that's my first post, and only after leaving such role, on this site saying I had such position previously.

But you're a lawyer.... So yeah.

Having VPs pull you to the side and threaten you on an upcoming vote, telling you how to do your leadership job etc, are all side affects of negotiations.... I was never at the table but certainly was kept informed by those It never made me change my stand but I can guarantee Seggy and Todd along with Ethan and others have been in direct fire and know more on this issue then those beating their chest and have ZERO experience of even being a committee member or attending a LEC meeting.....
I'm sure one day @Seggy would be more than happy to share some of his experiences.

It's easy for management to know who you are when your position puts you in front of them..... Doubtful many are
"Trumpeting" such.... I believe that's my first post, and only after leaving such role, on this site saying I had such position previously.

But you're a lawyer.... So yeah.

Naw... he's a hack.

Honestly though, I agree that there is a fine line between sharing experiences and bragging (or "trumpeting"... although that makes me think more of an elephant than anything else) about it. I spent about 7 years working comm, grievance and then negotiations. Fortunately for me, it was at a company that no longer puts targets on the back of union volunteers. That wasn't always the case as in the dark old days, lots of union volunteers got fired or "failed" checkrides. Also, fortunately for me, I was very junior on all the committees (except for comm) so it was rare that I was in a position to make decisions on my own that would effect the pilot group... although there was one GRC meeting I managed to screw things up pretty badly for some guys. Throughout all that what I mostly found myself doing when talking to other pilots (and I refuse to use the phrase "talking to line pilots" because I was (and am) a line pilot, no different than anybody else) was correcting misinformation and misunderstanding. Sometimes, saying "no, you are wrong" can come across badly, but remember who is in a position to know the reality and who isn't. The guys NOT at the table or NOT receiving their data directly from the source sure as hell aren't. And if that comes across badly from time to time (see: Todd) that's mostly because of the delivery.

The problem I see is more that line pilots (and I'm including myself in that) feel that what they want isn't being heard at the leadership levels and they are being told "shut up... we know what's best for you". The reality is, in many cases, they DO know what's best for us, but again, the delivery is making that point very difficult to get across. Also, in many cases (I think) they are out to lunch on what they think is important to us but because for the most part they are doing a miserable job explaining their reasoning and logic and refusing to listen when people call them on that, it's not going very well.

Naw... he's a hack.

Honestly though, I agree that there is a fine line between sharing experiences and bragging (or "trumpeting"... although that makes me think more of an elephant than anything else) about it. I spent about 7 years working comm, grievance and then negotiations. Fortunately for me, it was at a company that no longer puts targets on the back of union volunteers. That wasn't always the case as in the dark old days, lots of union volunteers got fired or "failed" checkrides. Also, fortunately for me, I was very junior on all the committees (except for comm) so it was rare that I was in a position to make decisions on my own that would effect the pilot group... although there was one GRC meeting I managed to screw things up pretty badly for some guys. Throughout all that what I mostly found myself doing when talking to other pilots (and I refuse to use the phrase "talking to line pilots" because I was (and am) a line pilot, no different than anybody else) was correcting misinformation and misunderstanding. Sometimes, saying "no, you are wrong" can come across badly, but remember who is in a position to know the reality and who isn't. The guys NOT at the table or NOT receiving their data directly from the source sure as hell aren't. And if that comes across badly from time to time (see: Todd) that's mostly because of the delivery.

The problem I see is more that line pilots (and I'm including myself in that) feel that what they want isn't being heard at the leadership levels and they are being told "shut up... we know what's best for you". The reality is, in many cases, they DO know what's best for us, but again, the delivery is making that point very difficult to get across. Also, in many cases (I think) they are out to lunch on what they think is important to us but because for the most part they are doing a miserable job explaining their reasoning and logic and refusing to listen when people call them on that, it's not going very well.
In other words, what we have here is a failure to communicate. :)

WestIndian425 said:
In other words, what we have here is a failure to communicate. :)

Precisely.

And, additionally, a lot of people in "leadership" roles take the critiques of their communication delivery (or lack thereof) personally.

Organizational communication and the lack of a legitimate and smart communication plan/philosophy is the one glaring problem that if solved could greatly change the reputation of many MECs and ALPA as a whole.

This is serious business and it requires leaders to take the input from subject-matter experts. Or, they can ignore the inputs and flounder.

Precisely.

And, additionally, a lot of people in "leadership" roles take the critiques of their communication delivery (or lack thereof) personally.

Organizational communication and the lack of a legitimate and smart communication plan/philosophy is the one glaring problem that if solved could greatly change the reputation of many MECs and ALPA as a whole.

This is serious business and it requires leaders to take the input from subject-matter experts. Or, they can have ignored these inputs and floundered.

FIFY.

Back