Dream Job?

CK

Falcon Capt. pretty has my dream corporate job. The only thing I'd like is for the company to have a Bonanza or Baron that I was able to use. My mom's boss, CEO of the company, was also a pilot and let us use his Baron or what ever he had (always new airplanes) when ever we wanted totally free. I'd love to have that kind of job. Flying new airplanes with a schedule 2 months in advance and only flying 3-5 days a week. Perfect for me. What's you dream corporate job?

One that pays
grin.gif

I figure I'll end up staying in the airlines, simply because it's really too late now to go back and fly charter to break into corporate. If I did try to fly corporate, I'd want to stay in the Chicago area, and have enough money and days off to provide for the big family I'm hoping for. Right now, the airlines provide a better opportunity regarding commuting should I be based somewhere else.

FlyChicaga,

I talked to a Captain from ATA yesterday and he was telling me all about ATA's destinations. At first, I was all about Corporate, but after hearing about his job and the places he gets to fly, I wouldn't mind working for them.

I didn't realize they do a lot of international flying vacation spots. Sounds like fun to me. After we were done talking, he was like "when you get the hours, give me a call, I'll help you to get in here." Talk about a total surprise. I walked out of his FBO grinning ear to ear.

Yeah, ATA flies all over the world. Check out www.ambassadair.com and www.atavacations.com, all those trips are flown by ATA crews. Some 737-800, much 757-200/300. You'd think that the international goes senior, however it's not the case. According to a lot of ATA pilots I've spoken with, much of the international flying goes junior and to reserves.

The 737-800 does much of the Carribean flying for Ambassadair, and the 757 does most of the longer-haul to Europe, the Middle East, etc. The L1011 is primarily being used for military charters only now.

Interesting also that many new-hires at ATA go straight into the 757. Some to the 737. Some pilots I knew at Chicago Express went straight into the L1011! My roommate's first flight instructor was at Chicago Express, got on with ATA, and now is an L1011 FO.

Now that they have come to a TA on the bond agreement, I think good things will happen at ATA.

Speaking of corporate, ATA has it's own Charter company as well: http://www.ataexecujet.com/

[ QUOTE ]
Falcon Capt. pretty has my dream corporate job. The only thing I'd like is for the company to have a Bonanza or Baron that I was able to use. My mom's boss, CEO of the company, was also a pilot and let us use his Baron or what ever he had (always new airplanes) when ever we wanted totally free. I'd love to have that kind of job. Flying new airplanes with a schedule 2 months in advance and only flying 3-5 days a week. Perfect for me. What's you dream corporate job?

[/ QUOTE ]

My dream corporate job would be flying for Netjets in a Citation X.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NetJets is NOT a "Corporate Job", it is a "Fractional Job"... BIG difference... You'll make less money and work more than at a Corporate Job.

Mach 0.89 or Mach 0.85 feel the same at 41,000 ft.

[ QUOTE ]
NetJets is NOT a "Corporate Job", it is a "Fractional Job"... BIG difference...

[/ QUOTE ]
Now, Now, don't get your underwear in a wad. You know he meant corporate "type" aircraft.

[ QUOTE ]
You'll make less money and work more than at a Corporate Job.

[/ QUOTE ]
And aren't on call on my days off, don't wash the airplane on my days off, don't go to recurrent on my days off, get catered crew food+per diem, stay in better hotels than most corporate gigs. Not pigeon holed in one section of the country/planet. Have licensed meteorologist and dispatchers for support. Flyer newer a/c. More different types of aircraft for advancement. Have two weeks off per month. Average 2-3 legs per day. 200,000 to 300,000 hotel/airline points per year for space positive free vacations (Three 21 day vacation periods per year).

[ QUOTE ]
Mach 0.89 or Mach 0.85 feel the same at 41,000 ft.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, there are two 0's on Mach .900

Actually it's normally .91 but what's 10 kts among friends.
The only difference is that same direction traffic is moving backwards in our windscreen and TCAS. M.85 is long range criuse and feels like doing 35mph on the freeway.

From the duh huh things said by ATC column....
-EJAXXX could you keep your speed up?
-we're doing .91 now, do you need more?
-uh................................ nevermind.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
We'd be glad to have you. Good luck on your career path. If you have questions, I would be glad to help.

[ QUOTE ]
And aren't on call on my days off,

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, me neither...

[ QUOTE ]
don't wash the airplane on my days off,

[/ QUOTE ]

In my 15+ years of flying I have NEVER washed an airplane...

[ QUOTE ]
don't go to recurrent on my days off

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, me neither, as a matter of fact I get to pick the dates I want to go to recurrent, not the company.

[ QUOTE ]
get catered crew food+per diem

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, get this too.. I swear if I have to eat another deluxe seafood tray I am going to explode!

[ QUOTE ]
stay in better hotels than most corporate gigs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wasn't aware their were many hotels that exceed the 5 star rating... We stay at the same hotels as the executives... My favorite is probably the St. Regis in Beijing, the personal butler service is outstanding. St. Regis - Beijing, China

[ QUOTE ]
Not pigeon holed in one section of the country/planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure where you were trying to go with this one... I'll give you a hint, I'm not based in Beijing... Nearly 50% of our flying is International (Europe, South America, Central America, Asia, Africa, Middle East, South Pacific)

[ QUOTE ]
Have licensed meteorologist and dispatchers for support.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, so does Air Routing... One call does it all...

[ QUOTE ]
Flyer newer a/c.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hhmmm... All of our aircraft were bought brand new, all are full glass including HGS HUDs and Auto-Throttles...

[ QUOTE ]
More different types of aircraft for advancement.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, we are stuck flying our 2 types of "old" aircraft...

[ QUOTE ]
Have two weeks off per month. Average 2-3 legs per day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I average 12 days of work per month (I am at HOME the other 18-19 days)

[ QUOTE ]
200,000 to 300,000 hotel/airline points per year for space positive free vacations

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, we get all the points too... My Marriott account has about 500,000 points right now and my other accounts have plenty for multiple "free" vacations too...

[ QUOTE ]

The only difference is that same direction traffic is moving backwards in our windscreen and TCAS. M.85 is long range criuse and feels like doing 35mph on the freeway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats funny, several times I have had to slow for a Citation X in front of us... Seems you guys have a Vmo somewhere in the 330-340 range... ATC didn't want us doing 370 KIAS because we were catching the X in front of us.

How come you didn't mention your huge paycheck??? I had lunch with an NJA CE-750 Capt about 2 years ago... He had 6 years with the company and was making about $55k/year... I was shocked...

I know, I know... "When we get the new contract"...
blush.gif

I wasn't ripping on NJA in my earlier post, just letting him know there is a difference between Fractional and Corporate flying. But since you decided you wanted to cover some of the finer points, I felt obliged to answer.

[ QUOTE ]
And aren't on call on my days off,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Nope, me neither...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm on call 24/7.

[ QUOTE ]
don't wash the airplane on my days off,

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
In my 15+ years of flying I have NEVER washed an airplane...

[/ QUOTE ]

I try to get on the line as much as I can to help my crew chief, who lets me borrow his plane and the 24" x 8" piece of it that has my name scripted on it. I've got no aversion to getting dirty with maintenance/upkeep....to include washing, in my 15+ years of flying.

[ QUOTE ]
don't go to recurrent on my days off

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Nope, me neither, as a matter of fact I get to pick the dates I want to go to recurrent, not the company.

[/ QUOTE ]

On call 24/7, so always available for recurrent consisting of an instrument check and a mission check every 12 months.

[ QUOTE ]
get catered crew food+per diem

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, get this too.. I swear if I have to eat another deluxe seafood tray I am going to explode!

[/ QUOTE ]

Get per diem. There's always chow hall food or MREs.

[ QUOTE ]
stay in better hotels than most corporate gigs.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't aware their were many hotels that exceed the 5 star rating... We stay at the same hotels as the executives... My favorite is probably the St. Regis in Beijing, the personal butler service is outstanding.

[/ QUOTE ]

Live in a tent next to the flightline now, no time for pansy-ass 5 star accomodations.

[ QUOTE ]
Not pigeon holed in one section of the country/planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure where you were trying to go with this one... I'll give you a hint, I'm not based in Beijing... Nearly 50% of our flying is International (Europe, South America, Central America, Asia, Africa, Middle East, South Pacific)

[/ QUOTE ]

International? Yeah, been international to many •hole parts of the world too. Try flying an ocean crossing strapped in an ejection-seat that you can't even move/get comfortable in, for 10 hours.

Gets old......as does international flying.

[ QUOTE ]
Have licensed meteorologist and dispatchers for support.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yup, so does Air Routing... One call does it all...

[/ QUOTE ]

Air Routing?.....lazy asses. still check my own WX, though we have forecasters/observers, as well as do my own flight planning.

[ QUOTE ]
Flyer newer a/c.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Hhmmm... All of our aircraft were bought brand new, all are full glass including HGS HUDs and Auto-Throttles...

[/ QUOTE ]

Again....lazy asses. Try doing the same ocean crossing without autopilot......and without that self-loading baggage called a co-pilot. New aircraft? What's that?

[ QUOTE ]
More different types of aircraft for advancement.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, we are stuck flying our 2 types of "old" aircraft...

[/ QUOTE ]

Old aircraft are the name of the game here. Best part is being able to fly single-pilot jet.

[ QUOTE ]
Have two weeks off per month. Average 2-3 legs per day.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I average 12 days of work per month (I am at HOME the other 18-19 days)

[/ QUOTE ]

I fly almost everyday. Mostly groundhog day, but some interspersed action here and there. Wouldn't be bad to be home, though.

[ QUOTE ]
200,000 to 300,000 hotel/airline points per year for space positive free vacations

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Yep, we get all the points too... My Marriott account has about 500,000 points right now and my other accounts have plenty for multiple "free" vacations too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Points and vacations for doing what? Risking life and limb to get Mr CEO from Point X to Disneyland in the minimum amount of time and in all WX? Those points should go to the autopilot and the autothrottles.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But I'm waived to exceed 250 below 10K, and don't have to put up with a co.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Thats funny, several times I have had to slow for a Citation X in front of us... Seems you guys have a Vmo somewhere in the 330-340 range... ATC didn't want us doing 370 KIAS because we were catching the X in front of us.

How come you didn't mention your huge paycheck??? I had lunch with an NJA CE-750 Capt about 2 years ago... He had 6 years with the company and was making about $55k/year... I was shocked...

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, huge paychecks for doing what? Having the wet bar stocked?rolling out the red carpet? Insuring the seafood trays are delivered on time? The effort that goes into engaging the autopilot following gear retraction?

Corporate is corporate is corporate, really. Whether you fly for Execjet, NJA, Swiftaire, Discount Tire Company, Nike, etc; or work for a company that owns it's flight department, or one that contracts it's "flight department". Like any other gig, has it's ups and downs.
laugh.gif

Akin to me trying to say USAF A-10 pilots are better than USMC AV-8 pilots in CAS, or vice versa.

MD

Would like to fly a 731 Jetstar sometime, though.

’m with FalconCapt, there are three types of flying here, corporate, fractional, and charter. There are a whole range of jobs in each category, especially when it comes to corporate jobs. At some corporate jobs your co-pilot is the boss who goes in the back and chats with his guests during the flight, yet wants every landing. On days your not flying you have to be in the office for “facetime”. On the other end of the scale you have FalconCapt’s job.

As far as the fractionals go, yeah, good schedule and equipment, but all I can say is fractional pilot, fractional pay.

I fly charter, and like many charter jobs we are paid decent and stay in nice planes, however, we fly old airplanes and stay on the road for many days.

There are definite differences and there is nothing wrong with someone pointing them out.

FC,
I figured you'd come up with something like that.
That is why I said most corp departments. You sir are no where near the norm. The norm departments are the ones flying Be200s, C-500, lears and sabres.

Yes our Vmo is 350. But you have NEVER outrun X above 370. Every climb at .88?

And why is it that it is always you guys bringing up our pay. You jump at the chance to say how bad ours is but never put a figure on yours. Now why is that?

Alright everybody...Deep Breath.....Group Hug....Whew, now carry on
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ever climb at .88?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever climb with 2 engines inoperative?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And why is it that it is always you guys bringing up our pay. It doesn't concern you. You jump at the chance to say how bad ours is but never put a fugure on yours. Now why is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

This year my W-2 will be north of $125k. This does NOT include the other "incentives" such as Stock Options, Pension, Profit Sharing and 401k match.

My job isn't so much the "exception to the rule", I know a LOT of guys flying for companies in very similar (and several in better) situations than I have... Typically if you look at the Fortune 500 (especially the Fortune 100) Flight Departments you will find they are all pretty close in this caliber.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Ever climb at .88?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ever climb with 2 engines inoperative?
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
And why is it that it is always you guys bringing up our pay. It doesn't concern you. You jump at the chance to say how bad ours is but never put a fugure on yours. Now why is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

This year my W-2 will be north of $125k. This does NOT include the other "incentives" such as Stock Options, Pension, Profit Sharing and 401k match.

[/ QUOTE ]

Like I said, huge paychecks for doing essentially not much more than being an autopilot monitor, with a little PR on the side.
smile.gif

When I say corporate is corporate, what I'm referring to in under the banner of "corporate", I'd generally toss in company owned flight departments, corporate service companies, some charter operations, etc. I look at corporate akin to saying someone is an "airline pilot", without making the differentiation of flying for a major, a national, a cargo, or a commuter/regional.

That's the context I basing my comments under.

In fact, corporate could rightfully come under the GA banner.

[ QUOTE ]
Typically if you look at the Fortune 500 (especially the Fortune 100) Flight Departments you will find they are all pretty close in this caliber.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was pretty much the point. Out of the thousands of flight departments, 500 are considered the "Dream Job." Vegas odds are better than those.
grin.gif

Love my job and glad to be here.

PS.....Just thinking about flying 15+ hours to China makes my backside hurt. 4 hours from NY to LA is bad enough.
grin.gif
grin.gif

And sorry about all my typos. I'm on a hotel computer with tiny fonts.

[ QUOTE ]
That was pretty much the point. Out of the thousands of flight departments, 500 are considered the "Dream Job." Vegas odds are better than those.
grin.gif
]

[/ QUOTE ]

C'Mon??? Vegas??? I got my job without knowing a single person on the "inside" of the company... I wasn't even rated in the aircraft they flew at the time (had no experience in that make and model).

[ QUOTE ]
Love my job and glad to be here.

[/ QUOTE ]

All in all, THAT is what counts.

[ QUOTE ]
PS.....Just thinking about flying 15+ hours to China makes my backside hurt. 4 hours from NY to LA is bad enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

China isn't 15 hours from Anchorage... We do crew changes up there for Asia.

[ QUOTE ]
And sorry about all my typos. I'm on a hotel computer with tiny fonts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't NJA give you a laptop??? The Humanity!!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

I'm on call 24/7.

I try to get on the line as much as I can to help my crew chief, who lets me borrow his plane and the 24" x 8" piece of it that has my name scripted on it. I've got no aversion to getting dirty with maintenance/upkeep....to include washing, in my 15+ years of flying.

On call 24/7, so always available for recurrent consisting of an instrument check and a mission check every 12 months.
Get per diem. There's always chow hall food or MREs.
Live in a tent next to the flightline now, no time for pansy-ass 5 star accomodations.

International? Yeah, been international to many •hole parts of the world too. Try flying an ocean crossing strapped in an ejection-seat that you can't even move/get comfortable in, for 10 hours. Gets old......as does international flying.

Air Routing?.....lazy asses. still check my own WX, though we have forecasters/observers, as well as do my own flight planning.

Again....lazy asses. Try doing the same ocean crossing without autopilot......and without that self-loading baggage called a co-pilot.

New aircraft? What's that?
Old aircraft are the name of the game here. Best part is being able to fly single-pilot jet.

I fly almost everyday. Mostly groundhog day, but some interspersed action here and there. Wouldn't be bad to be home, though.

Points and vacations for doing what? Risking life and limb to get Mr CEO from Point X to Disneyland in the minimum amount of time and in all WX? Those points should go to the autopilot and the autothrottles.

But I'm waived to exceed 250 below 10K, and don't have to put up with a co.

Akin to me trying to say USAF A-10 pilots are better than USMC AV-8 pilots in CAS, or vice versa.

MD

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike D,
I hope you don't mind me condensing your post. Too much wisdom to be lost in a long post.

Thanks for being over there. Hope you guys are back in The States soon. Take care.

Back