Dream Corporate Job, Pilot, Part 135

BTW, the minimums I quoted here were actually less than what my insurance broker told me. There's not much I can do beyond that. I would think however, with a KA350 type rating, the ME requirement could be less. The jet time however is an absolute minimum and I'm not sure that will fly considering some of the resume's I have seen thus far.

Sound like a great job for someone. I would apply if it weren't for the jet time. Too bad and good luck weeding through the pile of resumes.

Having been in the corporate flying world for 10 years now, and flying for over 20, and it is of course my interpretation of a "dream job" and seriously, for the right person, I believe it could be as well. When I'm sitting in Palm Springs enjoying the weather, sipping on a scotch, knowing I leave the next day for a 2 day trip to Scottsdale then go home, I have, on numerous occasions said to myself "I love this job." I put the line about the company coming first, to sort of weed out folks who are on the fence about being away from their family, raising a kid, etc. It's not as bad as it sounds but in the corporate world, you can't call the boss' wife 3 hours before a flight and ask to cancel because your kid is sick. An emergency is one thing; an inconvenience entirely another. A lot of you have never been in the corporate world and I know my boss, the owner, how he thinks and what he expects.

Lastly, someone said something about the jet etc. We just just hired a broker, have been looking seriously for 6 months now, my boss' fractional contract is up this Summer and I have been directed to have purchased one, gotten the training/type rating on it, do all the paperwork and fly the 25 hours with the FAA to get it on our 135 certificate before that contract is up. We have made 6 offers on jets already. So it's not just words and a promise. I suppose there could be a chance that all that falls through, but who cares? So I don't get a "jet" raise and then still fly 180/yr with the rest of the time off? Gee, shoot me! :)

Like you, I've been in the biz for a while. This sounds like the perfect job for me. I have been holding out for just a position. It just so happens that I do have the experience and a KA 350 type. Now we see if there is a good fit. I hope you look and like what you see. For me, skiing, Tahoe, west coast and a great flying job; what could be better. I hope there's a future in Minden for this Gumby.

Wish I had the ME time. For me it is close to a dream job. I'm from out west, have been to Reno a few times, and love the western living. For now I'm stuck in the mid-west trying to get my times up until a job like this is posted and I have the qualifications to have a shot at it.
Thanks for the post! Good luck everyone!

What the heck is it with Jet time anyway...That frustrates a lot of us who are damn good pilots that have in some cases thousands of hours in turbine 121 equipment that would make excellent employees and stay around as long as we could with a good company. Some of these insurance people need to ride the jumpseat in a Dash, Saab, 1900 or ATR then go ride in a jet...They will see real fast that TP drivers have zero difference in skill and ability and in a lot of ways what we do is a bit more challenging at times then flying an "auto" jet.

Probably more of the flight envelope than it is the complexity of the engine.

Don't get me wrong, it's a rather goofy metric in a lot of cases, nor did I have a lick of it when I got hired at a mainline carrier, but maybe a little more knowledge of "coffin corner", swept-wing aerodynamics or maybe even sprinkled in with a little "Dude, 4-1-0 it!" hindsight....

I don't know, I'm totally spit-balling here.

No I don't think your point is not valid. If it was a matter of req. 1000 turbojet then your point makes sense..But taking these mins: Commercial/ME/Instrument, 1500TT, 1000 ME, 250 jet, and 50 in type (King Air 350) and saying someone who meets them all that has say 4 or 5 thousand hours of transport category TP in 121 operations less 250 TJ does not qualify is what gets me. I know a bunch of pilots with between 100 or 500 jet. Most of them spent most of that time yanking gear, and depressing the ptt. in the right seat of a Citation or something with no type rating under their belt. Who's gonna to be the more experienced and skilled pilot: Mr. Mins up there or a seasoned regional TP driver with 6 years experience in line flying? I guess my point is that its frustrating when you meet all the mins and then some for a good job you'd be perfect for but because you don't have some irrelevant box checked on your resume you get passed over for the interview. If an employer wants jet exp fair enough ( and I understand how insurance absurdity drives hiring mins on the corporate side), but crikey, ask for enough of it to justify the requirement instead of some minimum box checking number that means nothing in the cockpit.

Sorry about the rant, but this jet garbage seems to be a bigger roadblock in getting my career moving forward again then the lack of ATP. Good example, Jet Blue was taking non ATP FO's from the regionals but would not interview TP guys unless they had an ATP...This stuff makes me wanna go blow sumthin up! I mean sheesh! That's what training is for!

What the heck is it with Jet time anyway...That frustrates a lot of us who are damn good pilots that have in some cases thousands of hours in turbine 121 equipment that would make excellent employees and stay around as long as we could with a good company. Some of these insurance people need to ride the jumpseat in a Dash, Saab, 1900 or ATR then go ride in a jet...They will see real fast that TP drivers have zero difference in skill and ability and in a lot of ways what we do is a bit more challenging at times then flying an "auto" jet.

You're missing one important minimum for corporate ops: you need to become un-angry. :)

Oh I get it....Angry White Woman huh? LOL..I'm actually not really all that IRL..Pretty mellow..I just like to come on here and whine! As if you didn't know that sweetie! :p

You're missing one important minimum for corporate ops: you need to become un-angry. :)
Angry. Not angry. I still wanna get a beer. After about two all my friends will tell you I start just about every rant (every other sentence) "Don't get me started..."

Look at it this way: there's always going to be some job you don't qualify for. I'd love to get on at Atlas, but they seem to only hire people with 121 experience. Does that make me sad? Sure. Does it make me angry? No. I'm sure they have a reason, and it's really not for me to judge whether it's a good reason or not.

The bright side of this is that the longer you fly, the more you learn, and the more jobs you ARE qualified for. Think glass half-full, it's a lot more pleasant.

Its a simple answer, you are all looking at it wrong, the insurance company does not want you to learn how to fly a jet on their jet. Let someone else take the risk.

You make the assumption that the person getting hired only sat right seat in a citation yanking gear and pushing the ptt.

No, I don't make assumptions. I make generalizations based on commentary given by pilots I know with a "little" jet time and their is a huge difference.

Its a simple answer, you are all looking at it wrong, the insurance company does not want you to learn how to fly a jet on their jet. Let someone else take the risk.

Yup, what he said! While I am sure TP pilots are great, we were not allowed by our insurance to train them. We were required to find suitable candidates who held the proper qualifications and hours in their logbook. Insurance is all about mitigating risk. They have number crunchers who have determined what kind of pilot does just that. Don't take it personal. Keep growing your credentials and you will find yourself in your "dream" job.

It's probably also worth mentioning that insurance companies aren't run by idiots. Me, I could have flown a Jet from Siberia to Kuala Lampur when I was diapers, because I'm special (heavy sarcasm). But the real fact of the matter is that numbers don't lie. Actuaries are paid a LOT of money because they're very, very good at determining Risk. If an actuary has determined that I'm a worse risk than someone else, I'm forced to admit that he's probably right, all other things being equal (which of course they never are). As fsi says, growing the credentials is the only way to progress. If you don't feel like you're getting where you want to be in your current position...find another one. The up side of a volatile market where no one retires where they started is that there are always employers looking for someone who's looking to improve their resume. Carpe Diem etc etc.

It's probably also worth mentioning that insurance companies aren't run by idiots. Me, I could have flown a Jet from Siberia to Kuala Lampur when I was diapers, because I'm special (heavy sarcasm). But the real fact of the matter is that numbers don't lie. Actuaries are paid a LOT of money because they're very, very good at determining Risk. If an actuary has determined that I'm a worse risk than someone else, I'm forced to admit that he's probably right, all other things being equal (which of course they never are). As fsi says, growing the credentials is the only way to progress. If you don't feel like you're getting where you want to be in your current position...find another one. The up side of a volatile market where no one retires where they started is that there are always employers looking for someone who's looking to improve their resume. Carpe Diem etc etc.

Awesome!

I am unclear on something, you are now flying a king air to europe from tahoe? or plan on doing it once the jet shows up? Even mentioning that you may have to pay for your own type is a huge red flag.

Back