Dr. Simone Gold on COVID Vaccine

But it is entertaining to read what the loonies are saying. Not calling anyone out in particular -- you'll have to interpret which posters are the loonies for yourself. It might, just might, be the ones with bad grammar skills.... just sayin'. ;)

I took the jab on tuesday, got the Pfizer shot. I am high risk (diabetic) and I expected some narly side effects. I havent had a one. My Director at work, whom I highly respect, said the company cant force you to get the shot, due to HIPPA laws. However foreign governments can as a condition of entry. Australia has announced that as a condition of entry, you must have the jab that is why QF will require it, because the Aussie government will. So when FAM rides open back up, and I hold an international qual at work, I got the jab. I love Sydney, and I wanna go back.

Imagine the craziness at Oktoberfest in Munchen the first year after the pandemic dies down... I wanna be there when the Mayor says "O zapft ist!!"

You must be mainline, as his description is 98% of dispatchers in RJ land

While I am thankfully no longer employed by an RJ operator, I worked at regionals for many years (Thanks, 9/11!) and I never planned flights through lines of thunderstorms with zero extra fuel. Considering the high workload most regionals have, I'd be more likely to add more fuel than I thought was really necessary to try to cut down on phone calls when I was planning more of my assigned 50-70 flights that shift. (No joke - this was the average workload at more than one regional I was employed by.)

That’s fair. Apologies (to you, not OP) for taking an easy dunk and a round of shots on me when we’ve all got antibodies.
I’m going to hold you to that.

You must be mainline, as his description is 98% of dispatchers in RJ land

I am mainline, but I spent over two years at a regional. My former coworkers at the regional were responsible and safety-oriented.

The multiple people I know that have had the vaccine have told me that they haven't had any issues except for minor side-effects after the second dose. Maybe if for nothing else, things will start opening for good (?) by fall. Not saying we will be "normal", but hoping for progress.

In terms of requiring it, airlines may not have a choice for our international flight crews if foreign countries require the vaccine for entry. I guess you could opt out, but just realize you won't be going on overseas trips.

Just my thoughts.

***** My opinions are not representative of the opinions of my employer *****

While I'm not typically a fan of cancel culture, I AM a proponent of social media outlets NOT allowing jack offs like these two people to use their site as a platform for their insane ramblings.

I swear to Odin, nobody that actually believes anything "America's Frontline Doctors" says should be allowed at the big kid's table.

Nobody knows the long-term effects of any of the experimental vaccines.

Past vaccine side effects have shown up within 6 weeks. The moderna vaccine for example was first dosed in May 2020. Why do you expect nobody to have problems for this long but all of a sudden stuff pops up now?
The flawed swine flu vaccine, a completely different type of vaccine since it had attenuated virus, caused an increase in cases of GBS of about 1 to 2 cases per million vaccines.

This pretty much occurred within 2 to 3 weeks post vaccination. Through the vaccine monitoring safety networks, they are watching for anything strange to happen with Pfizer or Moderna, but at this point, 33 million given out in the US alone and very very few side effects. Compared to the risk of covid, if there is an additional 1 case of GBS per million, that would certainly be worth it as Covid is killing and causing damage far greater than 1 case per million.
It's simple statistics. I have a friend that developed GBS (not from a vaccine), and he didn't have the most fun year, but it eventually did resolve.

Stayyyyyyyy in your lane and listen to vaccinologists and immunologists. An independent panel of them decided these vaccines were safe enough for a EUA and pretty soon they will be granted full approval.

If you don't want the vaccine, don't get it. But don't be expected to be able to travel anywhere internationally.

Wow, holy crap what a dumb thread. OP, you’re an idiot.

I’m so glad I have an education that gave me the ability to think logically and look past goofy Facebook blogs. I just can’t imagine how difficult life must be for some of the nut jobs in this thread.

Eagerly looking forward to the Pfizer jab, hopefully by March.

Edit:
Simone Gold Arrested for Role in Capitol Insurrection

Lol. Hilariously predictable!

Last edited:
The best argument against taking the vaccine is that for most people it does nothing for you especially if you already have had the virus. You still have to wear the mask and practice social distancing. For most people not in a high risk group, there is no benefit or reward to taking it. You can still get sick and pass on the virus. All the vaccine does is limit but not eliminate the chances of getting a severe case. Heck, the vaccine side effects are frequently little different than getting the actual virus. For most healthy and younger people, getting the vaccine is mostly about social pressure.

On top of all this, we are being told this vaccine will likely need to be repeated next year with a booster. Quite possibly every year. Again, no end in sight to restrictions so whats the point? It isnt even known yet how long immunity lasts after getting the virus. The medical experts have no clue how long a vaccine provides protection against the virus.

Oh and if the thing keeps mutating, we may need multiple different vaccines depending on how resistant they become to the vaccine. The virus wants to survive too and could eventually find a way to beat the current vaccine.

If getting the vaccine meant returning to normal, going back to life as it was before then there would be much less opposition to it. The vaccine is more depressing than anything else because the virus feels much like the Afghanistan war or the war on terror. An endless, unwinable war with useless measures to try in vain to win it.

The best argument against taking the vaccine is that for most people it does nothing for you especially if you already have had the virus. You still have to wear the mask and practice social distancing. For most people not in a high risk group, there is no benefit or reward to taking it. You can still get sick and pass on the virus. All the vaccine does is limit but not eliminate the chances of getting a severe case. Heck, the vaccine side effects are frequently little different than getting the actual virus. For most healthy and younger people, getting the vaccine is mostly about social pressure.

On top of all this, we are being told this vaccine will likely need to be repeated next year with a booster. Quite possibly every year. Again, no end in sight to restrictions so whats the point? It isnt even known yet how long immunity lasts after getting the virus. The medical experts have no clue how long a vaccine provides protection against the virus.

Oh and if the thing keeps mutating, we may need multiple different vaccines depending on how resistant they become to the vaccine. The virus wants to survive too and could eventually find a way to beat the current vaccine.

If getting the vaccine meant returning to normal, going back to life as it was before then there would be much less opposition to it. The vaccine is more depressing than anything else because the virus feels much like the Afghanistan war or the war on terror. An endless, unwinable war with useless measures to try in vain to win it.
This is what is so baffling to me about the mandatory vaccine crowd. How is someone choosing not to get the vaccine putting others at risk (as is the traditional argument for all vaccines) when the COVID vaccine does not prevent transmission of COVID? Why is the vaccine going to be mandatory to do anything with this being the case?

I tend to agree with a lot of this.. I am scheduled to take the first shot on the 17th but I understand people's hesitation on it.. For otherwise healthy people I would say maybe it's ok to wait. I know a lot of people now who have had COVID or have it now. For most it was like the flu. A few rare ones had no symptoms at all. Quite a few got pretty damn sick and still months later after getting over it still have no taste or smell but never wound up in the hospital. Two people I know wound up in the ICU for a week one was even a body builder in damn good shape. One person I know died from it. he got COVID pneumonia then developed blood clots and had multiple strokes he was 57 with no underlying health issues. This is the problem you don't know how COVID will affect you until you get it. I am 57 and have multiple co morbidities . I am obese have Asthma and Diabetes and Heart Disease so I know the risk for me to get COVID. I am taking the shot.

This is what is so baffling to me about the mandatory vaccine crowd. How is someone choosing not to get the vaccine putting others at risk (as is the traditional argument for all vaccines) when the COVID vaccine does not prevent transmission of COVID? Why is the vaccine going to be mandatory to do anything with this being the case?

Let me put this in Dispatch terms:

JFK is expecting Thunderstorms (Covid) today. But the TAF doesn't require an alternate (vaccination) per the 1-2-3 rule, so Karen doesn't list an alternate because it's not required and her not using an alternate doesn't hurt anyone but herself when she might have to deal with a diversion (hospital stay).

But everyone else in the office does the same thing because they're not hurting anyone else but themselves, right? I'll deal with it if it becomes a problem for me.

Lo and behold everyone has to divert and no one has much gas so we all try to put our flights into PHL. But holy crap PHL is filling up too fast and now we don't have the gate space to handle all these flights. But everyone went no-alternate so the flights just keep piling in with nowhere to park. Pretty soon it's anarchy on the aircraft because 50 flights have busted their tarmac delay times and no one can get off the plane. And now the airport is so backed up that the regularly scheduled flights (people who have medical issues they need addressed) can't even make it to PHL so they're cancelled and the passengers are left to fight over a handful of rental cars.

And to solve the problem of every Ken and Karen thinking they're only causing themselves trouble the company puts out a policy that you've got to list an alternate for JFK any time someone farts on Long Island because individuals can't be trusted to manage risk for the whole company.

Getting vaccinated is not about not getting Covid, it's about you and others not getting sick enough to need to go to the hospital thereby overwhelming hospitals so that they can't provide treatment to people for non-Covid ailments (cancer, aneurysms, etc.) How can we be a full year into this and a forum full of logistics professionals still doesn't understand the logistics problem here?

Last edited:
Back