DL 757 nose gear off runway in mud. CMH

ComplexHiAv8r

Airplane Overshoots Runway; No Injuries or Fatalities Reported

http://www.flyertalk.com/the-gate/b...unway-no-injuries-or-fatalities-reported.html

A Boeing 757-200 aircraft operated by Delta Air Lines as flight 1170 overshot the north runway at Port Columbus International Airport as it landed, resulting in the nose gear of the airplane to be stuck in the mud.

No fatalities or injuries were reported as a result of the incident, and no other flights were affected.

The airplane had just flown in from Los Angeles when the pilot reportedly warned the 153 passengers aboard the aircraft to prepare for a bumpy landing due to winds gusting near 30 miles per hour. The windy conditions were blamed for the airplane overshooting the runway, which was closed for five hours until the aircraft was removed from the mud by work crews.

Passengers then had to wait an additional hour aboard the aircraft until shuttle buses arrived to transport them to the airport terminal.

Is that video B-roll or something? Granted we see very few 757's up here, so perhaps my judgment is off, but that looks a lot like a 737....as in exactly like...as in, it is one.

If you look at Flight Aware, that is kinda a random flight. The one previous to it, same flight number, was on 4/15 and was a 757-200 from Augusta GA to LGA. Great job on the reporting...

Hmmm...this was the picture shown on the news...that's a 737-800, not a 757

phpO8p5sV.jpeg

• Brian Cohen at 8:42pm April 19, 2013
    You are correct, xianrocker — and thank you.
    When I first saw the photographs and videos, I too initially thought it was a Boeing 737 as the aircraft seemed short in length and it did not have that tell-tale second door on the side that Delta Air Lines often uses for passenger boarding and deplaning on its Boeing 757-200 aircraft — but one report linked in the referenced FlyerTalk discussion erroneously reported that the aircraft was a Boeing 757:
    http://www.dispatch.com/content/sto...ngeles-rolls-off-runway-at-port-columbus.html
This journalist's research consisted of getting facts off a message board. I've always been skeptical of news reports (I get my news from the Daily Show with Jon Stewart, I feel they are pretty accurate, fair, & balanced) but this just takes the cake. Unamazingly, the reporter still got the aircraft type wrong (OK it's mostly right, but still for the love of God).

Edit: I must apologize to all journalists. It appears as though this is just some article aggregated or something on Flyer Talk.com not a true media source. Fair enough.

If you look at Flight Aware, that is kinda a random flight. The one previous to it, same flight number, was on 4/15 and was a 757-200 from Augusta GA to LGA. Great job on the reporting...

Part of the increase in service at AGS for The Masters.

Delta operates LAX-CMH direct without passing through a hub??? o_O

Yeah, they have for quite a while actually... I guess it's pretty busy and competes with SWA fairly well. I don't believe SWA has a nonstop LAX out of CMH, well, at least they didn't last time I flew that route.

CMH and Delta's 73's don't get along. I'm too lay to find an article, but I remember a few years ago a rampy was backing one out of the C54? and put the elevator on the blast fence.

For some reason a lot of stuff goes down in CMH. Everytime there's a winter storm in the midwest you can bet your last dollar that someone will slide off pavement in CMH. It's a pretty vanilla airport that is as boring as the city.

Back