Oh Delta XII

Holy de-rotation Batman! :aghast:

Excessive derotation on landing buckled Delta 757’s fuselage

By David Kaminski-Morrow
5 May 2020

Portuguese investigators believe a failure to control the derotation of a Delta Air Lines Boeing 757-200 resulted in a heavy nose-gear impact severe enough to buckle the fuselage.

The aircraft (N543US), arriving in the Azores from New York JFK on 18 August last year, had touched down normally with its main landing-gear on Ponta Delgada’s runway 12.

Portuguese accident investigation authority GPIAAF says the first officer’s piloting technique – which demonstrated “excessive corrections” of attitude and thrust, possibly in response to a variable crosswind – resulted in a heavy nose-down elevator input to derotate after the main gear contact.

This might have been exacerbated by a reduction of engine thrust during the derotation – increasing the moment around the lateral axis – and the inquiry also points out that braking can require aft control-column pressure to reduce the derotation rate.

Flight-data recordings indicate a 1.53g main-gear contact followed by a nose-gear impact of 1.88g, says GPIAAF.

The aircraft had been operating at just 1% below its maximum landing weight of 89.8t and the inquiry believes this contributed to the extent of structural damage.

Several fuselage areas suffered deformation from compression stresses, with stringers cracking and skin wrinkling evident on the upper central and lower forward fuselage, consisted with nose-gear overload.

The flight data reveals several control column pitch movements of “increasing amplitude” in the moments before landing, says the inquiry, followed by a sharp nose-down input after main-gear touchdown and then a sudden nose-up correction after the nose-gear impact.

Boeing had previously detailed the risk of damage from hard nose-gear contacts on the 757 and 767 resulting from full or nearly-full forward control-column input after main-gear touchdown.

“Enough nose-down elevator authority exists to damage the airframe structure if the [aircraft] is rapidly derotated following main-gear touchdown,” it stated in an April 2002 analysis.

“This is possible because the maximum nose-down elevator authority is designed to control go-arounds, which require considerably more longitudinal control than the landing manoeuvre.”

Boeing states that the aircraft damage from such accidents is typically “significant” and results in “lengthy and expensive repairs”.

The US airframer says it first recognised that heavy loads on the nose-gear could damage the fuselage during flight-testing of the Boeing 727-200 in the 1960s.

“Flight-test data from various landings with high nose-down pitch rates led Boeing to enhance design requirements,” it states. These have included optimising hydraulic flow within the nose-gear oleo strut to absorb energy and strengthening upper crown fuselage stringers.

Boeing also produced training videos to increase crew awareness of the potential for airframe damage arising from excessive derotation.

“Flight crews can accomplish [a smooth derotation] by controlling the airplane pitch rate while relaxing aft column pressure,” it says, adding: “Control-column movement forward of the neutral position should not be needed.”

None of the 161 passengers and seven crew members on board the Delta 757 at Ponta Delgada was injured, says GPIAAF, which published its findings into the accident on 24 April.

69813_delta757graph_971132.jpg

69812_delta757damage_691888.jpg

After flying both the 75 and 76, ohh only since about breakfast :D

I will say the nosegear on the 75 is a little trickier to bring down gently. I’m not sure if it’s because the gear is positioned further aft or not, but if you hold it off too long while the speed decreases it just plops down, definitely more so than the 76. Also when the speed brakes extend on touchdown it has a weird nose up reaction. My first landing in the 75 the checkairman made sure I was aware that the nose would want to pop up, so no more back pressure after mains initially touchdown. A second or so later start easily applying the back pressure to slow the derotation and the kind of fly it onto the ground. It was weird to me, but I remember him stressing not to react to the nose up movement by aggressively applying forward pressure. A few months ago on a DHL 757 run I was getting frustrated because I just couldn’t get the nose to lower gently, a nice thud every darn time.

I heard a rumor that flight was IOE (or was that the United one?), but you know how rumors float. I’m sure there are others with thousands of hours more in that plane than me who could maybe describe it a lot better than I can.

Last edited:
It's because the PF knew the answer to the question T/F: the shortest landing roll can be accomplished by de-rotating as quickly as possible (T). Didn't you read Aerodynamics for Naval Aviators?

767 - fly the nose to the ground after the mains touch.
757 - firm grip on the yoke because it’s going to want to slam itself down.

For a common type rating, they don’t even fly the same.

Even on a short fuselage 73, I'm surprised at the number of pilots I've seen who just let the nose come down at its own rate after the mains touch rather than fly it down to the runway. Sloppy and unnecessary.

767 - fly the nose to the ground after the mains touch.
757 - firm grip on the yoke because it’s going to want to slam itself down.

For a common type rating, they don’t even fly the same.

Surprisingly, the CRJ 200/700 were even worse!

Flying the nose to the ground is good technique on all planes, but absolutely critical on the 757. "hey the mains are on the ground... DIVE DIVE!"

A300 nose wants to rise when the speedbreaks come out. Seems to be worse at some CG's than others.

Back