Derg, Update on Ground School Please

Some of these changes that the various folks are bemoaning actually did happen in the last decade. I don't think I heard anyone in Seattle Public Schools, Highline 401 district, say "sit Indian-style."
I learned it on the other side of the lake but they are a little more conservative over there

Unfortunately Richmans right. There is always that 5% in every group.
Again, give me a break.

The scenario may work for Southernjets but doesn't apply everywhere. There are other airlines out there, you know? We wouldn't want others to think there is only one true path.

Last edited:
Again, give me a break.

The scenario may work for Southernjets but doesn't apply everywhere. There are other airlines out there, you know? We wouldn't want others to think there is only one true path.

It's been like that at nearly every airline I've been at., including Northernjets.

There are always those a-types that need to be the big dog peeing on the trees. They are, by far, the most miserable SOBs on the planet to fly with.

Fortunately, they usually wear long sleeves, so it serves as a warning to others. If the long sleeves have initials on them, that practically warrants a tactical "schedule enhancement day".

Richman

It's been like that at nearly every airline I've been at., including Northernjets.

There are always those a-types that need to be the big dog peeing on the trees. They are, by far, the most miserable SOBs on the planet to fly with.

Fortunately, they usually wear long sleeves, so it serves as a warning to others. If the long sleeves have initials on them, that practically warrants a tactical "schedule enhancement day".

Richman
Well, I am sorry for your miserable experience. It's not the same elsewhere. So stop generalizing and creating a false impression for those looking to us for advice.

In my case, upgrade as fast as you can! I was the last on the capt list twice at my airline!

Well, I am sorry for your miserable experience. It's not the same elsewhere. So stop generalizing and creating a false impression for those looking to us for advice.

In my case, upgrade as fast as you can! I was the last on the capt list twice at my airline!

I have no dog in this fight, but I read what he said as coming solely from his perspective at his airline and based on his experiences. It didn't at all seem like a general statement. Could you maybe be internalizing what he said just a bit?

I have no dog in this fight, but I read what he said as coming solely from his perspective at his airline and based on his experiences. It didn't at all seem like a general statement. Could you maybe be internalizing what he said just a bit?
It began with the statement that pilots upgrade due to ego. This was after discussions about multi-fleet operations.

I said, that's not always true. But I am getting push back stating that it is always true. It's not true in my airline and I am sure it doesn't apply elsewhere. I don't care. I just don't want young folks reading this to think that people who aspire to upgrade are dbags.

Carry on. I'm out of this conversation.

It began with the statement that pilots upgrade due to ego. This was after discussions about multi-fleet operations.

I said, that's not always true. But I am getting push back stating that it is always true. It's not true in my airline and I am sure it doesn't apply elsewhere. I don't care. I just don't want young folks reading this to think that people who aspire to upgrade are dbags.

Carry on. I'm out of this conversation.

Again, I have no dog in this fight. But I think this somewhat started with a comment that @Derg said about people choosing an airline because they wanted to fly the 747. From a non-pilot perspective I didn't read it the way that you did. I read it simply as someone giving their opinion based upon things that occur at his airline and he's witnessed in his experiences. Again, not a general statement of the entire airline industry. But that was just from my opinion, and not fact.

Richman

Can you clarify the bolded please, lol!

If you're at your "terminal job", WTF difference does it make? It's not like you need the PIC time.

Let me tell what makes the difference: The quan, days off, augmenting your schedule the way YOU want, and picking/avoiding the trips you want. Chills the soul, lowers the blood pressure, and keeps the family unit intact.

But, hey, if sitting reserve in the crashpad on Christmas, flying 6 legs a day, "Commanding" 2 FAs and a newbie FO, or trying to remember which of the 50 Madisons you're suppose to fly to is how you get your thing on...well, rock on man.

There's a reason smart guys like Derg do it this way, and another reason that at most airlines, Captain goes WAY below the 50th percentile.

Richman

It began with the statement that pilots upgrade due to ego. .

No, what he said was that SOME pilots upgrade due to ego. He didn't indicate in any way that ALL due it for ego.You seem a little butthurt. Got something for you.

butthurt.jpg

That said, there is a difference between legacy and regional. By all means, upgrade ASAP at a regional. It is a stepping stone and the sooner you get PIC, the sooner you can get the hell outta Dodge! At the legacy level, not so much. Just about everyone has already been a captain or in charge of something before getting there.

That said, there is a difference between legacy and regional. By all means, upgrade ASAP at a regional. It is a stepping stone and the sooner you get PIC, the sooner you can get the hell outta Dodge! At the legacy level, not so much. Just about everyone has already been a captain or in charge of something before getting there.

See the assumed bias here? True, but I am not employed at a regional and am very glad to be a captain on the Bus after putting in many years as a captain at a commuter (long before it was called a regional). So I still stand by my position that not all your advice holds true. Good night.

See the assumed bias here? True, but I am not employed at a regional and am very glad to be a captain on the Bus after putting in many years as a captain at a commuter (long before it was called a regional). So I still stand by my position that not all your advice holds true. Good night.

The assumed bias here is on your part. You made an assumption that Richman meant all pilots. He did not. You then made an assumption that I was implying you were at a regional. I was not. You seem very concerned about noobs getting the wrong impression about upgrading. I was addressing that. I was not implying that you were a regional. I really don't care where you are. As far as your position though, you really expect us to believe that at however many airlines you've worked at, no pilot ever upgraded as soon as they could because of ego? Notice I didn't say every pilot. You must have a extraordinary career to never be part of any pilot group that didn't have A pilot or two who were egotistical.

Long sleeves is generally indicative of tool status. Initials on the sleeves warns of uber-tool status. Your mileage may vary.

Richman

Often accompanied by two washcloths draped over the shoulders to protect the stripes from the harness.

Do you wear long sleeves?

(I'm joking...everyone chill :))

Back