Denver - 172RG Gear Up Landing @ APA (Video)

Right on the centerline, too! (BTW, that's the airplane I did most of my CFI traiing in).

Only downside - as usual, the media made a bigger deal of it than it was. Like it was some miracle they landed safely.

Cool... wonder what happened with the gear. I'm always curious what happens with gear up incidents, especially with an emergency manual control at hand.

Good thing the Gutlass' prop always stops in the horizontal position. Kudos to the PIC for making the best out of a bad situation.

That's good those guys are ok...But shouldn't they have cut the engine before landing? It looked like the prop bounced off the runway.

That's good those guys are ok...But shouldn't they have cut the engine before landing? It looked like the prop bounced off the runway.

forget what I said....found a checklist that shows the procedure:

GEAR UP LANDING

1. Landing Gear Lever -- UP.
2. Landing Gear and Gear Pump Circuit Breakers -- IN.
3. Runway -- SELECT longest hard surface or smooth sod runway available.
4. Wing Flaps - - 300 (on final approach).
5. Airspeed -- 65 KIAS.
6. Doors -- UNLATCH PRIOR TO TOUCHDOWN.
7. Avionics Power and Master Switches -- OFF when landing is assured.
8. Touchdown -- SLIGHTLY TAIL LOW.
9. Mixture -- IDLE CUT-OFF.

10. Ignition Switch -- OFF.
11. Fuel Selector Valve -- OFF.
12. Airplane -- EVACUATE.

.....and after watching it again, it appears the engine was running well after they had the rw made.???

Who cares about the engine? THat is what insurance is for! Hate to kill the engine only to decide they needed to go around again for some reason.

Who cares about the engine? THat is what insurance is for! Hate to kill the engine only to decide they needed to go around again for some reason.
Wouldn't make much of a difference. Unless you screwed around and tried to stop the prop, even with the engine off, the strike for the windmilling prop would require a teardown.

NO! Rule #1 get everyone on the ground! as was said, thats what the insurance is for.
Not saying it's wrong to kill the engine to try to save a prop and tear down, but only if it can be done safely!

I like how they interviewed the student. Good job instructor! Well played.

Back