Denied jumpseat- help from Delta/Comair guys please!

chrisdahut1

Well, I got denied a jumpseat today. I was trying to Jumpseat on an ASA flight from CVG to YUL (Montreal). I've done this multiple times in the last 6 months (always from CVG non-stop to YUL and back) to visit my girlfriend there and never had a problem. Well, today, the Comair gate agents decided to make one.

I listed at the Delta check-in counter 2 and a half hours prior, as always. No problems there (as always). I presented myself at the gate and immediately I was asked by the gate agent when I listed. I told him about 2 hours ago, and he said "You can't ride". I asked why and he said that I must be listed at least 24 hours ahead of time as an OAL jumpseater on an international flight. I told him that I always listed at check in 2 hours prior, have done this multiple times in the last few months and never had a problem. He wouldn't budge, but contacted a supervisor, who confirmed what he said.

Before I left, he re-iterated the 24 hour rule, but this time said "To occupy the cockpit jumpseat". I told him that I wasn't looking to occupy the cockpit jumpseat, but a seat in the back (there were 35 open on a 50 seater). He again called some supervisor, and said that the answer again was no. The supervisor said that since I'm listed as a jumpseater, regardless if there's a seat in the back, the same rule still applies.

Here's the real kick in the nuts: After realizing I wouldn't get on, I asked the gate agent to then list me for the same flight the next day. When the agent tried to make the jumpseat listing, the computer wouldn't allow it, and gave an error message saying "Jumpseaters cannot be listed more then 6 hours ahead of scheduled departure time". I told them "Well, I guess I just can't jumpseat internationally then?" and her response was a confused "I guess not".

Well, I decided to go back to the check in counter. I talked to a Delta agent there and explained what had happened. The Delta agent told me that there is no 24 hour listing rule. She even printed me the procedure for listing all jumpseaters on international flights, which clearly stated that I could list up to 70 minutes ahead of time. By this time the last flight had left and I drove 95 miles home to have an, ahem, somewhat more lonely night then I thought I would have.

If there's any Delta or Comair guys here, I'd appreciate it if you could let me know the following:

1) Are the gate agents BSing me, or do you have to list 24 hours prior to an international jumpseat flight?

2) If so, how do you list? The Comair agents told me I had to call Delta dispatch, but didn't give me a number. I have a feeling that if I were to call, they'd think I'm nuts....

Sorry for the long post, but this is highly frustrating. Like I mentioned before, I've already jumpseated on this route multiple times recently. However, the agents and their supervisor were insistent that I had to list 24 hours prior (even though that doesn't appear to actually be possible), and also convinced that everyone before them had screwed up by letting me board.

Thanks for any replies!

Can't answer for Comair's policy, but mainline is 75 minutes prior. However, that only applies to mainline metal. As an OAL you also cannot call dispatch/XCM desk to make a reservation. Only mainline pilots can.

You need to talk with a Comair pilot and more importantly, your JS co-ordinator.

Weird I found this:

Passengers from OAL including Delta and other DC carriers,
requesting to jumpseat in the passenger cabin for an
international​
flight must be listed no later than 75 minutes
prior to departure and check-in for the
flight no later than 45

minutes prior to departure.

Thanks for the responses.

As for contacting my jumpseat rep., that has been done.

And as far as the 75 minute rule posted....yep, I'm aware of it. Unfortunately, I only found that out after the flight (the last one out) left. A friendly and supportive Delta ticket agent pulled up the International jumpseat procedures before I left the airport and printed it out for me to use for future reference.

However, I'm not sure how well it will work. The Comair gate agents insisted that the Delta check-in agents "screwed up" and shouldn't have listed me. I respectfully disagreed, but was up against 2 gate agents and a supervisor who insisted that this 24 hour prior listing rule had been in effect for years, and was non-negotiable.

I also asked them if this rule were real, then how was it possible to actually list and receive a jumpseat request for the flight (surely the computer system would block it) within 2 hours, and if I had to list 24 hours prior, why did the system not allow any listings until 6 hours prior? They had no answers to that.

Sorry man!:dunno: We have some real winners here in CS.:rolleyes: Our CS manual pretty much mirrors the Delta ACS manual, so 75 minutes for international is correct. They should all be transitioned to REAS by the end of the month. I'm sooo glad I got out of CS!

What the hell. Thats BS. Since OO handles UA/DL, I had to learn policies for both, there was no such DL policy, and I doubt OH has its own js policies that differ from OO and DL. Even the 70 minutes before thing I doubt is required, more than likely thats just what they want you to do. I listed an AA guy for a flight to YYJ just last Saturday 15 minutes before we boarded and gave him a seat in the back.

What happens is people think "wait, is there a policy for that?" and if they aren't sure, they play better safe than sorry and pretend it is a policy. Supervisors don't always have the rules down as well as you think either. And god forbid a supervisor should have to look something up and seem human.

Even the 70 minutes before thing I doubt is required, more than likely thats just what they want you to do. I listed an AA guy for a flight to YYJ just last Saturday 15 minutes before we boarded and gave him a seat in the back.

Actually, 75 minutes is required by TSA for APIS transmission for JS inbound. By requiring 75 minutes outbound, it makes it easier than having two different policies.

Computer let me do it. First I've heard, then again, I admit I don't know everything.

75 minutes is only technically required for flights inbound to the US. Outbound it really doesn't matter, but to keep one policy it says for outbound too. The computer will not cut you off outbound, but at an overseas station and trying to do it at 74 minutes, no bueno.

Chris,

I'll try to do some looking into this too, here in JFK they may give me some odd answers (if any that is), and i'm not sure when the next time i'll be thru CVG will be.

There is something in the books about the listing 24hrs prior, with a call to dispatch/scheduling, but i'm not confident this would apply to your situation as a nonrev that doesnt work for us.

But i dont have my manuals with me at the moment (they are at the airport-im at the crashpad).

..........my first gut instinct is that it was just all the planets aligning in a bad way. Sorry that happened, and if were my flight, i would have tried to help ya out.

It shouldnt have been a problem to sit in the back at all.

Chris,

I'll try to do some looking into this too, here in JFK they may give me some odd answers (if any that is), and i'm not sure when the next time i'll be thru CVG will be.

There is something in the books about the listing 24hrs prior, with a call to dispatch/scheduling, but i'm not confident this would apply to your situation as a nonrev that doesnt work for us.

But i dont have my manuals with me at the moment (they are at the airport-im at the crashpad).

..........my first gut instinct is that it was just all the planets aligning in a bad way. Sorry that happened, and if were my flight, i would have tried to help ya out.

It shouldnt have been a problem to sit in the back at all.

Do you work for Comair? If you do and have the relevant scetion in the manual that covers this 24 hour rule, I'd greatly appreciate a copy of the page(s). I have a feeling this is all a matter of misinterpretation of a policy and would love to see the exact language.

Contact your JS coordinator and hopefully you got the gate agent's name. If not I'm sure they can figure it out with the flight # and departure date.

Gate agents have all the power and unfortunately some simply do not know the policies. And we are the ones who suffer for it. I too have been denied the js because the gate agent 'didnt have enough time' to help me out. Meanwhile the flight left 10min early, and when I asked to talk to the captain the agent simply said 'no'. Classy, thanks for helping me get home buddy. :whatever:

Do you work for Comair? If you do and have the relevant scetion in the manual that covers this 24 hour rule, I'd greatly appreciate a copy of the page(s). I have a feeling this is all a matter of misinterpretation of a policy and would love to see the exact language.

Yes, i'm an FO for them based up in JFK.

Our manuals have alot of compacted material and alot of info crammed into alot of our book pages-that being said there is a disclaimer at the bottom of all of our pages that says bascially we cant copy or allow a reproduction of these pages, many different kinds of super secret squirl kind of stuff in the pages, and many topics on each.

But i'll try to get a copy maybe of a customer service form, or something if its allowed.
I still havent been back to the airport yet, but i'll be asking.

Yes, i'm an FO for them based up in JFK.

Our manuals have alot of compacted material and alot of info crammed into alot of our book pages-that being said there is a disclaimer at the bottom of all of our pages that says bascially we cant copy or allow a reproduction of these pages, many different kinds of super secret squirl kind of stuff in the pages, and many topics on each.

But i'll try to get a copy maybe of a customer service form, or something if its allowed.
I still havent been back to the airport yet, but i'll be asking.

Thanks, I really appreciate any help!

Contact your JS coordinator and hopefully you got the gate agent's name. If not I'm sure they can figure it out with the flight # and departure date.

Gate agents have all the power and unfortunately some simply do not know the policies. And we are the ones who suffer for it. I too have been denied the js because the gate agent 'didnt have enough time' to help me out. Meanwhile the flight left 10min early, and when I asked to talk to the captain the agent simply said 'no'. Classy, thanks for helping me get home buddy. :whatever:

It's hard for them to sympathize regarding a benefit that they don't also enjoy.

I can't stand "know it all" "customer service" people. That's why I even as a revenue customer, if at all possible use automated check-in options and avoid the attitudes altogether.

It's hard for them to sympathize regarding a benefit that they don't also enjoy.

I can't stand "know it all" "customer service" people. That's why I even as a revenue customer, if at all possible use automated check-in options and avoid the attitudes altogether.

I understand this take...espcially when i work in NY where everyone it seems like at both JFK and LGA have the attitude that they dont care about your travel plans because home for them is just a public train ride away.

But the comair agents in CVG, most of them at least, were really nice and helpful people. Many of them i have delt with for 5 years.
And especially back in the day when they all had the same boarding priority on DL as mainline people, they were especially helpful in travel.

Well, needless to say, ever since June, the happiness over travel benefits and keeping up with all the chages for the worst part has pretty much dropped a bomb on moral and helpfulness for alot of people, in many departments.

It is nice when the kiosk's work though!

Did you try to talk to the captain? It always makes a big difference to have the captain give input in this stuff if the gate agent won't prevent the captain from finding out...

The way CVG is set up, you really cant talk to the captain in the gate area with the way that the boarding hallways are set up.

Oops I forgot C closed. Nevermind. CVG really must be a ghost town now. You might be able to snag them over in A, its still 3 flights for one door in some places still, but a lot better than 20.

Back