Denied jumpseat- help from Delta/Comair guys please!

International Jumpseating can be a HUGE pain. It's almost always a result of the gate agents not knowing their own policies. What's maddening is even if you do know the policies and they don't, it's almost impossible to tell them what it is without coming across like a complete tool.

Did you try to talk to the captain? It always makes a big difference to have the captain give input in this stuff if the gate agent won't prevent the captain from finding out...

I was hoping the entire time the Captain would come up to the gate area, but unfortunately this time that didn't happen. It was a fairly quick turn at 30 minutes, and the B gates are set up to where it's a fairly lengthy walk to the plane and back.

Since this "TSA policy" seems to only exist when talking to Comair agents (DL agents tell me there is no such policy), I was hoping he could chime in with ASA's policy.

Maybe next time!

It's hard for them to sympathize regarding a benefit that they don't also enjoy.

I can't stand "know it all" "customer service" people. That's why I even as a revenue customer, if at all possible use automated check-in options and avoid the attitudes altogether.
I'd say thats a generalization. We treat everyone great at SFO. All the horror stories are from mainline.

Today a CRJ had a CG problem and an AA guy couldn't get the jumpseat because of it and the supervisor spent 20 minutes figuring out a way to get him home, and no the supervisor isn't a pilot. We're taught to look out for all airline employees.

I understand this take...espcially when i work in NY where everyone it seems like at both JFK and LGA have the attitude that they dont care about your travel plans because home for them is just a public train ride away.

But the comair agents in CVG, most of them at least, were really nice and helpful people. Many of them i have delt with for 5 years.
And especially back in the day when they all had the same boarding priority on DL as mainline people, they were especially helpful in travel.

Well, needless to say, ever since June, the happiness over travel benefits and keeping up with all the chages for the worst part has pretty much dropped a bomb on moral and helpfulness for alot of people, in many departments.

It is nice when the kiosk's work though!

:yeahthat:

I was hoping the entire time the Captain would come up to the gate area, but unfortunately this time that didn't happen. It was a fairly quick turn at 30 minutes, and the B gates are set up to where it's a fairly lengthy walk to the plane and back.

Since this "TSA policy" seems to only exist when talking to Comair agents (DL agents tell me there is no such policy), I was hoping he could chime in with ASA's policy.

Maybe next time!

I will ask to speak to the captain as politely as I can when it's something like that.

As far as the CRJ CG, we try to get more carry ons gate checked when we know there will be a jumpseater. It makes a big difference if the agent tells us beforehand that there's someone trying to jumpseat and he'd end up up front.

In our case, we get our numbers over ACARS instead of by hand, so we can also send a message to our dispatcher and find out how much cargo weight we'd need for CG beforehand. Makes it a lot easier. The big problem comes in if the destination needs an alternate becuase we then need to balance CG with our XTOG.

Hey Chris,

I'm still trying to get some paperwork answers for you, so far i have been told by JFK Delta mainline agents that 75 minutes prior listing required, and of course, jumpseat international fees paid along with the same time.

Shortly im going to CVG on a repo flight, with an overnight there.
That will give me some time to break out the manuals, make some calls, and then even ask some CVG people there tonight, or in the morning for my next flight or deadhead out in the morning.

Hang in there with me, i'm trying to get some straight answers from the horses mouth, at least as straight as Delta/Comair can answer questions.

Its amazing that airline management doesn't walk through the terminals and become embarrassed at what their companies have become. I understand cheap labor is a priority for them, but it is flat out embarassing how people are treated. And I've noticed that as a nonrev/jumpseater you usually get treated better than paying customers.

These airlines are lucky that most of the other companies are like this too and that all most people look for is a cheap ticket.

Alright.

Well i wasnt able to make it to CVG because of mechanical and duty time problems today.

But based on what i've read, i cant see any good reason why this happened and you didnt get on the jumpseat. Especially since there were seats in the cabin.

Since the offices are closed today (weekend), finding out any more info from the CVG offices will have to wait another day. But i'll still look into it.

Alright.

Well i wasnt able to make it to CVG because of mechanical and duty time problems today.

But based on what i've read, i cant see any good reason why this happened and you didnt get on the jumpseat. Especially since there were seats in the cabin.

Since the offices are closed today (weekend), finding out any more info from the CVG offices will have to wait another day. But i'll still look into it.
JFK's has been a pain in my ass for the past two days for mx!:rolleyes:

HA!

I know the feeling man.

Today's ready reserve adventure consisted of a repo taxi from "M" to "KK".....taking 2 hours to complete because of wait to have a ramp/pushback crew.

lol

After that i was assigned to do another ferry flight to get an airplane to CVG, but it cancelled. Dont know if it was because they wanted more time to fix it here, or it was just because i was too close to timing out.

oh well.

Alright.

NC_BE300,

Thanks for the effort! As a Comair employee, you'd definately be able to push this a little further then I could as a lowly OAL jumpseater. And keep in mind, they said EVERYONE (icluding Comair and Delta pilots) must list 24 hours ahead if they want to jumpseat, not just OAL.

Of course, there is no way I know of, or that they know of, to list more then 6 hours ahead of time...

ASA's policy is unlimited as long as seats are available in the back. Last month I operated flights with numerous OAL jumpseaters from CVG to YYZ.

And I've noticed that as a nonrev/jumpseater you usually get treated better than paying customers.
I disagree. Paying customers get treated like crap, and nonrevers get treated like sh-t. That is, however, unless you're in uniform where it seems you get better treatment. Then again, it'll never fix stupid (which many gate agents do not lack).

I disagree. Paying customers get treated like crap, and nonrevers get treated like sh-t. That is, however, unless you're in uniform where it seems you get better treatment. Then again, it'll never fix stupid (which many gate agents do not lack).

I'll 2nd that!!!!

On a flight today, we are almost at departure time in JFK....ramp agents ready to go, we're ready to go....less than 5 minutes till push gate agents tell us 2 more coming down. When asked about closing up paperwork ontime....they responded....."as long as the door's open we gonna send em".

What a crock.
I had to redo my paperwork, making the flight late because the door was still open (do to i was finishing up the ORIGINAL paperwork that was going to be the FINAL).

And part of me says.......hmmm if these people were non-rev's.....you can bet nothing would have been done. We would never have known about them, the door would have closed with empty seats, and broken hearts in the terminal-all the while we wouldnt have know that there were poeple to help out!

That angered and annoyed me today.

Ah, don't get me wrong. We don't get treated well...just slightly better. Though you do have a point, I'm usually in uniform whenever I'm nonreving so I can bring my contact lens solution with me. I like seeing stuff.

I'll 2nd that!!!!

On a flight today, we are almost at departure time in JFK....ramp agents ready to go, we're ready to go....less than 5 minutes till push gate agents tell us 2 more coming down. When asked about closing up paperwork ontime....they responded....."as long as the door's open we gonna send em".

What a crock.
I had to redo my paperwork, making the flight late because the door was still open (do to i was finishing up the ORIGINAL paperwork that was going to be the FINAL).

And part of me says.......hmmm if these people were non-rev's.....you can bet nothing would have been done. We would never have known about them, the door would have closed with empty seats, and broken hearts in the terminal-all the while we wouldnt have know that there were poeple to help out!

That angered and annoyed me today.

I know what you mean. I honestly think some gate agents are really bad at time management and situational awareness (some, not all). I've had times when I go up to the gate and I see the agent all rushed. I politely ask if I may fill out a JS form and then get the flustered response, "u gown' have to wait now. I don' have time for jumpseataz." Five minutes prior to push, the sorry-ass agent lets me in, where I find a ton of seats open in the plane. It makes me wonder why on earth I was given an attitude when they could have easily accommodated me before.

I've also seen, while working a flight, flustered gate agents when we're only 10 minutes prior to push and the plane all ready to go. Some of those agents need to relaaaax.

Ah, don't get me wrong. We don't get treated well...just slightly better. Though you do have a point, I'm usually in uniform whenever I'm nonreving so I can bring my contact lens solution with me. I like seeing stuff.
That sucks that they don't let you carry the big contact lens container w/o uniform. I guess I've been lucky with it when not in uniform. (I carry the big bottle solution.) I've noticed that some of the smaller airports are a lot more anal, though.

Wow, there must be pretty low moral at other companies. Our Brasilias get weight restricted all the time, even if we have all the revenue pax on, we'll always work until the door closes putting carry-ons in empty seats and what not trying to get all the non-revs on. Whereas I've seen mainline agents at SFO let a flight go with seats on it and not bother to put the non-revs on because by the time they realize it, they'd get a delay putting them on. Mr. Gulley would know all about that.

As far as sending non-revs down at the last minute. I had a flight to SLC about to push 10 early with 20 open seats when 3 non revs ran up off a late flight about to be stuck for the night. The door was about the close, and the jetway was pulled but i told them to follow me, told the ramp the new count over the radio, and brought them downstairs to the ramp and got them on. Flight still got out 6 minutes early. Not the first time thats happened.

I'm sorry, but all this whining that gate agents don't look out for non-revs, maybe you had a few bad experiences, but Skywest's SFO operation is pretty big and hectic, we're usually understaffed and overwhelmed with quickturns, and we still manage to look out for employees, and usually treat them great. And saying we're the only ones who do that is ridiculous. Sure there are a few bad apples in any operation, we have them too, but I travel a lot and the majority of the time I get help if I ask for it.

Wow, there must be pretty low moral at other companies. Our Brasilias get weight restricted all the time, even if we have all the revenue pax on, we'll always work until the door closes putting carry-ons in empty seats and what not trying to get all the non-revs on. Whereas I've seen mainline agents at SFO let a flight go with seats on it and not bother to put the non-revs on because by the time they realize it, they'd get a delay putting them on. Mr. Gulley would know all about that.

As far as sending non-revs down at the last minute. I had a flight to SLC about to push 10 early with 20 open seats when 3 non revs ran up off a late flight about to be stuck for the night. The door was about the close, and the jetway was pulled but i told them to follow me, told the ramp the new count over the radio, and brought them downstairs to the ramp and got them on. Flight still got out 6 minutes early. Not the first time thats happened.

I'm sorry, but all this whining that gate agents don't look out for non-revs, maybe you had a few bad experiences, but Skywest's SFO operation is pretty big and hectic, we're usually understaffed and overwhelmed with quickturns, and we still manage to look out for employees, and usually treat them great. And saying we're the only ones who do that is ridiculous. Sure there are a few bad apples in any operation, we have them too, but I travel a lot and the majority of the time I get help if I ask for it.
...which is probably why you should read the replies a bit better and realize I said "some, not all," several times.

As far as whining...it's not whining, it's the truth, and I'm not trying to attack the whole gate agent community. Some have been nice to me, but they're rare. Consider yourself one of those rare ones for having helped those nonrevs.

I've read it, but I get the sense that everyone is leaning towards 99% of gate agents don't give a crap about anyone. I'd say thats an unfair generalization.

As an ex-gate agent, and frequent nonrever, I'd say its more like 90% are at least indifferent to what is going on, with about 40% that genuinely don't give a crap.

Honestly I'd say that there were 4 people at BGR (not just comair) that genuinely cared about getting flights out with all the non-revs they could on and would take a small delay for it. One Eagle guy delayed a BOS flight for 15 minutes so that a COex flight that gate returned with several jumpseaters on could get unloaded, and those commuters on. That guy got so much beer the next time those crews saw him he must have been stocked for months.

Honestly this debate is is over the 50% that are indifferent, on where to generalize them. Do they really care? nope, do they absolutely not care? nope.

Back