Delta vs. United

I really hope you didn't come to an aviation forum to decide for you to do your research with two legacy offers on the table

He has a name!
9D55D813-AEFC-4AE4-82AA-3305D1FA4C99.gif

Huh? Half of our seniority list is gone by the end of the decade (pre-covid included). Your movement at all of the big 3 is going to be great over the next decade, I don't know why people use so much brain power to argue about a 5-10% difference of projected seniority.

For me financial security is way more important than a 10% difference of overall seniority, so I'm kind of shocked you even bring up AA.

UA has the widebodies if you so wish, but really I'd just pick based off your opinions because this thread is going be to 10 pages long arguing about what's more important to you. And hiring and staffing seniority progression charts looking 10 years in advance is such a funny thing to me when this industry eats and spits those things out with its natural cycles. You're gonna make good money, good retirement, good QOL, and good seniority progression at both. Just sit down and evaluate what and where you want to fly.
It’s not totally inconsequential as to what happens after the first 50% are gone however.

If you have no issues moving, then by all means, go to the first who calls.

If you're tied to home, and home is within driving distance, do that. That can be modified, slightly, if whoever calls has a base where you want to live (but never plan on a crew base lasting forever).

Living local provides so much additional QoL and pay advantages, far fewer expenses and FAR less wear and tear over the years, it's not even a fair comparison.

Where can I make more money? I’ll drive to work either way. I just like flying planes.

Over the course of a career, baring any management made disasters, both places will give you equal opportunity to make the most money possible, due to pattern bargaining. Right now, due to profit share and open time provisions a Delta pilot probably has the opportunity to make a few percentage points more of income each year, but over a 25 year career of contracts, that probably will wash out as each place changes things around. And besides, while maxing out stacking cheddar sounds important when you aren't making $350k a year flying 4 trips a month, for many pilots (but certainly not all), you hit a point where you make enough at min time and the quality of life details of a contract become way more important.

The current management visual at each place is different in the sense that United is trying to build out their own network slightly more than Delta who is trying to expand more by JV. But that could flip or change with the next CEO at either place.

Despite the Soviet Sub commander jokes about Delta, I'd guess the average pilot you work with at each place will be pretty similar.

If you are going to move to domicile either way, I'd look at the bases where you can get better pay or QOL quicker, as things won't change much in the next few years probably, and then decide using that. Even if you totally • yourself out, you will have a few days off each month, and you might as well spend them some place you like.

Thanks guys. I would lean towards United since I’m less than an hour drive to EWR, which is a junior base. I was thinking of moving out from my parents place and going somewhere but it seems EWR is a good choice if you’re at United.

That’s the obvious choice, but say you weren’t fortunate enough to get that chance…
Jokes aside, a buddy of mine with 9000 hrs and 145/175 types (ex XJT) just got a TBNT from Envoy. My assumption is they don't want to spend money just to see him go bye-bye, but who knows.

Being local to a large, junior base is a sure fire way to really "kill it". You'll rocket up the list, have your choice of seats/trips, upgrade far sooner, have huge premium pay opportunities and drive home so no commuting hassles.

That's really the golden zone right there. "Winning at life" territory.

Back in my day, people were lucky to get an interview at Atlas. Now we've got kids asking for advice on which legacy to go to because they're not sure where they want to be once they move out of their parents house.

Honestly, this is • bat • insane after the last 18 months, and I feel like I'm taking crazy pills reading this.

Flying planes is a lot of fun. I’m saying I’d be willing to move.

I really hope you didn't come to an aviation forum to decide for you to do your research with two legacy offers on the table

I think that we're talking to a H.S. flight simmer, or worst a troll. Or maybe he's asking about CJO's to be a ground agent or a gate agent for both companies. If he actually has two CJO's (as a pilot), that means that he interviewed successfully. So how the hell has he not talked to someone, anyone. A friend a person at an interview prep company to find out info about the two companies, contracts, QOL. And just for @Cherokee_Cruiser company culture. How has he not researched any of this info on his own? Also if he has the times to get CJO's as a pilot for both companies, why is he still living at home, with his parents? He doesn't come off in his post as a real life adult of age to have interviewed and have two CJO's waiting. Something smells off, especially after his first post on the site, where he said that he feels like a loser. Also related to that post people, were even then questioning if the post was real or an attempt to troll. Just sayin'.

I think that we're talking to a H.S. flight simmer, or worst a troll. Or maybe he's asking about CJO's to be a ground agent or a gate agent for both companies. If he actually has two CJO's (as a pilot), that means that he interviewed successfully. So how the hell has he not talked to someone, anyone. A friend a person at an interview prep company to find out info about the two companies, contracts, QOL. And just for @Cherokee_Cruiser company culture. How has he not researched any of this info on his own? Also if he has the times to get CJO's as a pilot for both companies, why is he still living at home, with his parents? He doesn't come off in his post as a real life adult of age to have interviewed and have two CJO's waiting. Something smells off, especially after his first post on the site, where he said that he feels like a loser. Also related to that post people, were even then questioning if the post was real or an attempt to troll. Just sayin'.

I answered because it's actually a worthwhile question to contemplate. That said, people who lock down their profile are like people who block their schedule in FLICA.

I answered because it's actually a worthwhile question to contemplate. That said, people who lock down their profile are like people who block their schedule in FLICA.

No you're right. It is a good question to ask IMO. Right up until he asked which one made more money. That's when in my mind he went from legit, to high school a.net nerd. Flight/VATSIM sim dude. Or worst a troll. I mean you went into your interview at your legacy with at least some info on the company and the current contract at the time of your hire, right? This just seems, off to me is all.

No you're right. It is a good question to ask IMO. Right up until he asked which one made more money. That's when in my mind he went from legit, to high school a.net nerd. Flight/VATSIM sim dude. Or worst a troll. I mean you went into your interview at your legacy with at least some info on the company and the current contract at the time of your hire, right? This just seems, off to me is all.

I'm not entirely sure. I've flown with some guys here who were hired at 25, and this was their first time flying an airliner.

These folks absolutely exist right now.

Back