Delta Sucks........

Ouch. Well, I admit that I choose the suburbs of Memphis any day over Memphis. Before you get on your high horse, things I've been hearing about Atlanta from it's residence (2 of my FO's) were nothing to be proud of.

You mean "residents" :p

Yeah there are probably nice parts around Memphis, but I'll be better and say that it just wasn't the city for me. I didn't like it, I never felt comfortable there. I feel good about the ATL. No high horse required, I'm already tall enough! :D

Lowlevel,
Sorry to hear about your furlough. Endured that myself for a few years. It's not fun, or easy.

I have to say though, I think you're way out of line when taking shots at DAL and ATL. Times are tough right now for every airline, and their feed sources. Ask the Expressjet guys how they feel about their company and CAL right now. Ask the furloughed pilots at CAL, Alaska, American, United, World, and potentially UPS and FedEx how they feel about their companies right now. Ask the furloughed pilots at many of the regionals as well. You think you're the only one feeling the pinch just because DAL owns Comair?

I'm sorry, but the size and scope of the regionals has been growing nearly unchecked for a long time now. Cutting capacity there makes financial sense. It wasn't a personal attack on you.

As for all the darts you sling at DAL, you sound like someone truly insulated from the industry. Look around. Who would you trade places with?
When I commented on ATL, I was speaking of the airport, which the other poster said was the greatest airport. I gave examples of "not great" at ATL. When it comes to Atlanta, the city, the place speaks for itself.

http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=Atlanta&state=GA

And with regard to the Newsweek article, they did a survey of residents of those cities. It's not Newsweek who said they were unhappy in ATL, it was the Atlanta residents that were surveyed.

I delivered to many companies in Atlanta over the years and have traveled all over the city. I must tell you, I saw nothing nice about the city. But, that is my opinion. I have also spent a lot of time in Memphis, and actually was based there for a while while in the military. Memphis is right up there with Atlanta on the Not Good list.

My comments on DAL are also self explanatory. They operate like they did in 1970 and you cannot be successful in the 21st century with a mind set like that. Giving bonuses and wasting money on a new logo and paint jobs after just coming out of bankruptcy is reckless and foolish. Surely not the "greatest" airline.

When I commented on ATL, I was speaking of the airport, which the other poster said was the greatest airport. I gave examples of "not great" at ATL. When it comes to Atlanta, the city, the place speaks for itself.

http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime.asp?city=Atlanta&state=GA

And with regard to the Newsweek article, they did a survey of residents of those cities. It's not Newsweek who said they were unhappy in ATL, it was the Atlanta residents that were surveyed.

I delivered to many companies in Atlanta over the years and have traveled all over the city. I must tell you, I saw nothing nice about the city. But, that is my opinion. I have also spent a lot of time in Memphis, and actually was based there for a while while in the military. Memphis is right up there with Atlanta on the Not Good list.

My comments on DAL are also self explanatory. They operate like they did in 1970 and you cannot be successful in the 21st century with a mind set like that. Giving bonuses and wasting money on a new logo and paint jobs after just coming out of bankruptcy is reckless and foolish. Surely not the "greatest" airline.

Once again bro, quit. Then you never have to come here again.

I have worked for FOUR airlines (Pace, ExpressJet, AirTran, Delta), been based in IAH, EWR, JFK, and ATL. I have operated regularly out of LGA, ORD, DEN, SFO, LAX, DFW, DCA, IAD, MDW, MKE, MSP, CDG, MXP, BRU, LGW, MAN, MAD, MEX, GRU, and pretty much every other major airport in North America, South America, and Europe. By far ATL operates better than most of them and Delta is by far the best airline that I have ever worked for.

The link you provided is for the City of Atlanta. You do know that the actual city limits is very small. There is a lot of Atlanta that is outside of the geographical city. Like Marietta, Kennesaw, Alpharetta, Roswell, Douglasville, Newnan, Peachtree City, Decator, Smyrna, etc.

BTW, what paradise do you come from?

Once again bro, quit. Then you never have to come here again.

I have worked for FOUR airlines (Pace, ExpressJet, AirTran, Delta), been based in IAH, EWR, JFK, and ATL. I have operated regularly out of LGA, ORD, DEN, SFO, LAX, DFW, DCA, IAD, MDW, MKE, MSP, CDG, MXP, BRU, LGW, MAN, MAD, MEX, GRU, and pretty much every other major airport in North America, South America, and Europe. By far ATL operates better than most of them and Delta is by far the best airline that I have ever worked for.

The link you provided is for the City of Atlanta. You do know that the actual city limits is very small. There is a lot of Atlanta that is outside of the geographical city. Like Marietta, Kennesaw, Alpharetta, Roswell, Douglasville, Newnan, Peachtree City, Decator, Smyrna, etc.

BTW, what paradise do you come from?

Aren't we taking this a little personal? Advising someone quit so they don't have to go to ATL? That's like me telling someone to kill themself so they don't have to ever land in PHX. C'mon now. Best/worst city is so utterly subjective, it's like trying to argue coke vs pepsi vs RC; and which is "the best".

You'd have more luck and result arguing with your garage door. :D

But, but, HFCS is THE next big thing!
Anybody else love the campaign the Corn Refiners Association is running on how High-fructose corn syrup is "just corn" and "healthy" in moderation? In moderation? Are they kidding? Try buying darn near anything, including a loaf of bread, that doesn't have HFCS in it. It's in EVERYTHING.

Aren't we taking this a little personal?

Nah, just showing the fallacy of absolutes. And, as far as the quitting comment, if he hates his company and job so much then why not quit (I know, he is furloughed. I've also been there. Par for the course.) I have seen far too many pilots consumed by their anger. I have even known one who killed himself because of it.

I absolutely love Atlanta. Last Friday I went with my best friend since high school to see Victor Wooten play at the Variety Playhouse in Little Fives, one of the coolest, weirdest places around. Then, after the show, we went to R. Thomas' on Peachtree for a late-night organic breakfast consisting of mashed potatoes, collard greens, and corn bread while sitting across the room from Andre 3000. God, I love this town. The Varsity is off the hook too.

Best city on Earth? Bagdad, Arizona.

How do you know it's not the best city on Earth? You haven't heard about it. :) Prove me wrong? That's what I thought... :)

A little more from my boys from the ATL:

[YT]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G_wfH5LiKpE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G_wfH5LiKpE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YT]

Anybody else love the campaign the Corn Refiners Association is running on how High-fructose corn syrup is "just corn" and "healthy" in moderation? In moderation? Are they kidding? Try buying darn near anything, including a loaf of bread, that doesn't have HFCS in it. It's in EVERYTHING.

Mainly b/c it's cheaper than real sugar. If it's cheap, it must be good for ya, right? :)

San Diego is the finest city and everywhere else sucks. Best airline is probably not in the good ol USA.

All very subjective :panic:

generic-cans.jpg

Best stuff around...

San Diego is the finest city and everywhere else sucks. Best airline is probably not in the good ol USA.

All very subjective :panic:

generic-cans.jpg

Best stuff around...
So is that what Govt beer and cola looks like!:buck: And I only thought the cheese and juice were plainly labeled!:D

I'll second the motion about not letting anger about furlough consume you.

I could be very bitter and angry about what happened to me (company transfer, loss of background check info, behind all the TWA people, furloughed twice.... career with AMR over). But I have made the choice to move on and find new paths. It's the only think you CAN do unless you want to be stuck in a rut of anger & bitterness for the rest of your life.

Sure, you may have every reason to be angry. Make the choice not to be. Channel your energy towards new paths, new experiences, new things.

Just my nickel's worth of free advice...

Everyone has their own idea of "paradise" to live in.

Mine is SW Wisconsin. Beautiful rolling hills, lots of farmland, strong communities and rich in history.

It's also HELLA cold in the winter, humid & miserable in the summer, blizzards are frequent, the small rural schools suck and it's miles from the nearest Lowe's.

It's not perfect but I couldn't think of a more perfect place on this planet. I feel that way because I was born & raised there. Not everyone would consider my little piece of paradise to be so wonderful.... that's okay. That's just less people to have to share it with ;)

Everyone has their own idea of "paradise" to live in.

Mine is SW Wisconsin. Beautiful rolling hills, lots of farmland, strong communities and rich in history.

It's also HELLA cold in the winter, humid & miserable in the summer, blizzards are frequent, the small rural schools suck and it's miles from the nearest Lowe's.

It's not perfect but I couldn't think of a more perfect place on this planet. I feel that way because I was born & raised there. Not everyone would consider my little piece of paradise to be so wonderful.... that's okay. That's just less people to have to share it with ;)

Your area of Wisconsin is beautiful, as long as there is no snow that is :p. The House on the Rock is a little freaky though.

Yep, there isn't anyway in hell that I could live in Florida. No thanks. I like seasons and terrain features.

Yep, there isn't anyway in hell that I could live in Florida. No thanks. I like seasons and terrain features.

Terrain features in GA? Hills? The only respectable terrain features to speak of in CONUS are those located from Big Bend, TX and westward. :D

I'll give the seasons things though. Midwest, the south and New England states do have nice ones.

Only thing I don't care for is humidity.

Back