Delta Orders Classier, Sexier Uniforms (Doug in a "G" String)

mpenguin1

Delta Orders Classier, Sexier Uniforms (Doug in a \"G\" String)

Well, look at this, guess we are going to see Doug in a matching bra & panties uniform, Doug, black is my favorite color, but red could match your eyes.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/040203/delta_uniforms_19.html

Delta Orders Classier, Sexier Uniforms
Tuesday February 3, 5:59 pm ET
By Harry R. Weber, AP Business Writer
Delta Air Lines Orders Redesign of Employee Uniforms for Flight Attendants, Agents and Others

ATLANTA (AP) -- Cash-strapped Delta Air Lines has ordered up a makeover of its employee uniforms, hiring a big-name designer who promises a classier -- and in some cases, sexier -- look for flight attendants, airport agents and other workers.

The carrier said Tuesday that designer Richard Tyler, whose dresses have been worn by stars such as Julia Roberts, Heather Locklear and Jamie Lee Curtis, will be overseeing the uniform change.

"I want them to look sexy and great, but you have to keep that classic look as well," Tyler said in an interview with The Associated Press.

All Delta would say about the new uniforms, to debut in 2006, is that they will be better fitting and more durable. Their color, currently gray, could also change.

The Atlanta-based airline refused to say how much the project will cost -- a new outfit Tyler created for actor Pierce Brosnan cost $3,500 -- or give specifics about the design. No mannequins or pictures were displayed at a news conference announcing the project.

The potentially expensive move comes amid months of cost-cutting initiatives at Delta, which has lost more than $3 billion in three years and laid off 16,000 employees since the 2001 terrorist attacks.

Andrea Taylor, a Delta flight attendant and union advocate from New York, said she has concerns about money being spent on new uniforms in light of pay and benefit cuts.

"That money would be much better spent supporting the livelihood of Delta flight attendants," she said.

But Taylor acknowledged the current uniforms are not exactly fashion-forward. "We have been referred to as prison wardens wearing them," she said.

Delta officials said the decision to redesign uniforms is a "wise investment" that will boost morale among employees and increase the airline's bottom line in the long run.

Uniforms for flight attendants, gate and ticket agents and airport lounge officials will get a complete makeover -- from their shirts or blouses to their pants, gloves, hats and scarves. Technical operations workers, maintenance crews and baggage handlers will see minor changes in their outfits.

As many as 35,000 of the airline's 60,000 employees will be affected. Delta's pilots, locked in a protracted battle with management over wage concessions, are a notable exception. Their uniforms, which have not changed substantially in decades, will not be redesigned.

Delta's low-cost subsidiary, Song, had Kate Spade design its flight attendants' uniforms. Fashion designer Stan Herman helped design pilot uniforms for carriers such as United Airlines, JetBlue and the defunct Eastern Airlines.

Delta first started courting Tyler for the project a year ago. He said at first he was unsure if he wanted to take on such a big project, but he believes the opportunity is too great to pass up.

"This is the dawn of Delta, it's the beginning," Tyler said

Re: Delta Orders Classier, Sexier Uniforms (Doug in a \"G\" String)

I'd actually like a non double-breasted coat.

Too many folks ask, "My, you're a young admiral!"

"I'm not in the Navy, I'm an airline pilot."

"You hire Admirals as pilot these days?"

Yargh!

[ QUOTE ]

Yargh!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why the leather jacket rocks!
laugh.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yargh!

[/ QUOTE ]

That's why the leather jacket rocks!
laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Have still never worn the issue leather jacket I have. Looks nice hanging in the closet, though.

[ QUOTE ]
Delta officials said the decision to redesign uniforms is a "wise investment" that will boost morale among employees and increase the airline's bottom line in the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

So how exactly is spending money on uniforms seen as boosting morale and thereby increasing the bottom line but when it comes to pay or benefits it's all about "the greedy employees?"

Can was say contradiction!?
smirk.gif

They could save money and have everyone go nude.
shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So how exactly is spending money on uniforms seen as boosting morale and thereby increasing the bottom line but when it comes to pay or benefits it's all about "the greedy employees?"

Can was say contradiction!?
smirk.gif

They could save money and have everyone go nude.
shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Wise investment my ass!! All they're gonna do is cry boo hooo when the cost of the uniforms go up and cry for 30% concessions because they've made unwise investment decisions.

The ladies don't need a new outfit, they just got new outfits a few years ago - granted, everyone I talk to doesn't like them... but to create a more form fitting, sexier look - do they really NEED that? I doubt it.

It's not going to make any difference to the morale of the company - if you want to increase morale, increase it where it counts - uniforms don't count unless they get to dress how they do at home on a daily basis....

[ QUOTE ]
So how exactly is spending money on uniforms seen as boosting morale and thereby increasing the bottom . . .?"

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's because they would like to be seen as cool !!!

maybe but even SWA's uniforms are considered "sexy", they're considered comfortable. For women, at least IMO, sexy normally doesn't mean comfy

[ QUOTE ]
For women, at least IMO, sexy normally doesn't mean comfy

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me, that applies for men as well!! Samantha always tells me that she picks her shoes based on looks first, and comfort second.....but who am I to judge? I wear combat boots anytime I'm in jeans...
grin.gif

I nice to see delta has its priorities in line. New uniforms, before bringing back furlowed workers.

On average, airlines redesign their F/A uniforms every 5-8 years. AA has had their current uniform since 1997.

I have heard nothing positive about Delta's current flight attendant uniform. All I have heard about is the shoddy construction (seams ripping out on brand-new garments), how sweat stains show through SO easily on their blue shirts, and that they look beat-up after two runs through the washer.

Personally I love the Delta pilot's uniforms. And at least Delta is smart enough to not require the jacket be worn year-round!

My only wish for uniforms can be summed up in two words:

Natural Fibers

I hate polyester! It doesn't breath, and it sticks to your butt when you stand up when it's hot!

Flychicaga- How come whenever I fly ATA I always see the ATA pilots wearing leather jackets? This is not something I have seen on any other major airlines.

[ QUOTE ]
Flychicaga- How come whenever I fly ATA I always see the ATA pilots wearing leather jackets? This is not something I have seen on any other major airlines.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are actually a few airlines that do this. ATA, Southwest, Continental Express, us (Chicago Express), and a few others as well. It is just a lot easier sometimes when you are wearing a "jacket" compared to a suit coat (blazer) and overcoat. Plus, on layovers, when you remove your wings and epaulets, you can use the jacket as a coat for going out without having to cart around another one.

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/perroneleather/profavjacfli.html

That's what ATA, SWA, CoEx, etc. wear. We wear a different type.

Here you go, as an example. What we wear:

P1010083.JPG

Thanks to digital cameras...
crazy.gif

I hope they do something like this one from Air France. I don't like the pockets, though. I think they should make them the kind where they are like pants pockets for men.

af10.jpg

Or, if they don't do that one, maybe this one from Air Belgium

airbel.jpg

Can you tell I like the double breasted look? No comments from the peanut gallery, please.
tongue.gif

I love Virgin Atlantics unifoms. The red is just sweet, and they're actually individually made! So they FIT!!! What a concept! AMRs uniforms never fit me properly, our new dresses were cut so that they looked great on a person who was 5'11" and stick skinny with no figure. I'm 5'2" and 35-25-37! I had to have my tailor (who also happens to be my mom) completely re-fit and alter my dresses so it didn't look like I was wearing a potato sack. When I was getting fitted for my Eagle new-hire uniform, the uniform lady gives me a size XS sweater. Just because I'm short doesn't mean I need an XS! This sweater was stretched so tight across my chest I looked like a cheap hooker. I wanted a size M, we finally compromised and I got a S.
mad.gif

My avatar pic is by far the best picture I have of our old uniforms. I do miss the scarves and the old vests (the new vests don't fit either, they had to be altered at the waist).

FlyChicaga, it looks like you do have a standard blazer hanging behind your leather jacket. Do you ever wear that?

Yeah, I usually wear it when it's a little warmer than it is now. Like the rainy fall and spring seasons, with my overcoat over it. Or if I see a trip forecast is going to be REAL windy, the overcoat and layers are great.

here's the newest info:

[ QUOTE ]
Delta Employees to Get New Sexy, Stylish Uniforms

I know. Some of you are going to say, "Why should the airline spend money for new uniforms when money is not growing on trees these days in Atlanta?"

Simple.

Because I think many of the Delta employee uniforms are positively dreadful. Let's face it. If someone forced you to wear some ugly, dated uniform, it certainly wouldn't help your attitude very much either.

Or, as one Delta flight attendant was quoted in a news story late Tuesday in regard to the change, "We have been referred to as prison wardens."

I agree. Then again, those puffy little short sleeves on the American Airlines' flight attendant uniforms are pretty ghastly as well.

Delta said that as many as 35,000 employees will get new uniforms as part of the upgrade. Not surprisingly, the pilots' uniforms will not be upgraded . Which reminds me. I can't remember the last time the Delta pilots' uniform was upgraded.

Richard Tyler has been picked to design the new uniforms.

[/ QUOTE ] Sorry Doug! your uniform gets to stay... YEA for me!
blush.gif
grin.gif

Back