Delta MD-90/Aero Mexicana Fokker 100 weird question (attn: Doug)

According to his own website, Iain is twenty years old and a Brit; so...

*Excuse me,* Iain, but as an American who has made his living in the aviation business for 5 years longer than you have been alive, let me bluntly say that what we *don't* need is another inexperienced foreigner telling us what will be good for us all.

We in America have had it up to our collective keisters with globalization (that's "globalisation," to you).

This brave new approach to doing business has lost us millions of jobs and has wrecked entire segments of American industry...chiefly in the manufacturing area.

Globalization has done wonders for the richest among us, but has severely impacted the middle class. If this trend is not reversed, soon we will have only two classes...the rich, and everyone else, who will be living in the same third-world standard.

My friend, if anything will start a revolution in this country, this will be it.

The course of globalization has to be reversed, not endorsed and embraced.

For you to say that the airline industry needs to go down the course that has manifestly been the doom and downfall of other industries before it is sheer lunacy.

This is a forum where all are entitled to share their opinions; however, we should consider their source. I urge everyone whose mind is not made up on this issue to visit Iain's site and decide for yourselves as to his fitness to make the bold and stirring pronouncements he has posted.

Personally, Iain, I just think you are spouting things you have heard from your redder-than-hell public school teachers.

Have a nice day.

Without resorting to the level of personal attacks - what it boils down to is you can either do everything for yourself at an average standard, or do what you do best for the world and gain the benefits of having the best of everything else too. America is market leaders in many sectors and if we did that on a world basis there would be plenty of new jobs. Your average American thinks globalisation is just outsourcing manuel labour to developing countries, however it is really using the effeciency of the world to be more productive.

[ QUOTE ]
Your average American thinks globalisation is just outsourcing manuel labour to developing countries, however it is really using the effeciency of the world to be more productive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno if you were here for NAFTA but, we used to make stuff in the US once upon a time!

Iain, turn about is fair play ... if foregin carriers are allowed to operate domestic flights here then we have the right to do it on their turf. But it doesn't happen, nor will it. And because of that if we allow foreign carriers to fly domestic routes here we're screwing ourselves.

Globalization only works if everyone gets a fair deal ...

Take for instance Mr. Rupert Murdoch. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to allow U.S. Media interests to purchase and set up shop in Great Britian (let alone what Parliment would say)... oh wait, he owns nearly 100% of all print media in G.B. If he can't stomach "local" compeitition I'm sure he'll just love international competition. (sarcasm)

Pilot I agree that if international owned carriers are allowed to fly in the US then US owned carriers should be able to fly inter-Europe trips. It has to go in both directions to work!!!!!!!!!

The only problem is that a lot of the airlines flying in Europe are heavily subsidized in order to bring air service, or cheaper air service to certain areas. Look at the debacle surrounding Ryan Air over in the UK.

Now if the EU would completely drop subsidizing collectively all airlines, then it might work. But I don't want Air Ndoogoo (and their crews earning nothing more than a clean bed and a week away from domestic political turmoil) in their heavily subsidized TU-154 flying American passengers competing with Delta Air Lines or Northwest.

Besides, if the EU dropped the subsidies, I think US carriers can whip 'em, run 'em out of business and bring prices back to where you can make a profit.

Bring it on, Limeys!
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Iain, turn about is fair play ... if foregin carriers are allowed to operate domestic flights here then we have the right to do it on their turf. But it doesn't happen, nor will it. )

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, correct me if i am wrong but, NWA has a hub in NRT and they operte to several Asian routes and limited domestic routes in Japan. UAL does the same as well in NRT. I think it would be fair enough for a foreign airline to start a domestic route in the U.S.

The are taking passenger to additional destination with in Asia who flew in on their flight from the US to NRT. To the best of my knowledge, they do not sell ticket for those flights without crossing the Pacific.

I know Eva, Qantas, BA (atleast used to) all do this.

A Japanese airline, maybe - assuming those routes aren't code shares or some other type of odd-ball structure.

But just because country A lets country B do something it doesn't mean country B should allow countries C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, and K to come in and do as they please. Country B should only allow country A to do what A allows B to do.
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
just because country A lets country B do something it doesn't mean country B should allow countries C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, and K to come in and do as they please. Country B should only allow country A to do what A allows B to do.
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this our current foreign policy?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think country B is bullying country A and I. C, D, E, F, G, H, J, and K are all pissed at B because they didn't like that B beat up I without their consent. Now B wants C, D, E, F, G, H, J, and K to help pay for I's hospital bill and - surprise - they don't want to.

Anybody else have a sudden urge for a bowl of Alphabet Soup?
grin.gif

Correct me if I 'm wrong, but I believe that the EU has tried to limit "globalisation" in flight training. A few years back, many Europeans were coming to the US to earn licenses then going back to Europe and converting them to European licenses. The EU changed the rules and made it much more difficult to do this. In the process, they hurt the business of a lot of US flight schools that made the bulk of their money from Euro students.

The point is that there are two sides to the coin. When they do it to us, it's okay. When we do it to anyone else, we're starting a trade war.

--
As to the original question, I think that the flight was a DAL flight with a DAL plane and crew that carried an AeroMexico code share. UAL has a similar deal with Lufthansa.

No, you're correct. FAA licenses are essentially useless in the EU (for commecial purposes at least). JAA licenses issued stateside are still privy to limitations and many EU airlines frown on stateside training - or so I've heard.

In fact, Lufthansa used to do a lot of training around here (PHX area) but I think they've all but stopped. last time I flew over their airstrip it was dead and not a single aircraft was parked there.

What actually happened was the JAA change the rules so that to get a Frozen ATPL (which you need to get hired) you can not earn one license at a time, you have to take a course which takes you from learning to turn to CRM as well as all the orals. This became a problem however I believe there are still some flight schools doing JAA training in the US.

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason ticket prices are too low is they need to pay for the ineffencies in the system, international competition will force airlines to streamline their system. There will still be plenty of jobs, some one has to fly them, push them back, load them, etc. If our airlines are the best then we have nothing to worry about right??

[/ QUOTE ]

Southwest Airlines doesn't get any government money, but they seem to do it pretty good.....and they still manage to keep their people pretty happy.

Yep! The JAA certification process, we used to do MD11 training for Lufthansa and Citi Bird (bankrupt now), but after the JAA went into effect our MD11 full flight simulator had to be certified by the JAA. Ok, so in addition to the FAA & JCAB certs we had to apply for a JAA cert, well surprise, it would have cost us around $50k plus expenses for the inspectors to fly to the US, yearly, in addition to about $100k in upgrades that the airlines did not need for training. Oh well!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I think country B is bullying country A and I. C, D, E, F, G, H, J, and K are all pissed at B because they didn't like that B beat up I without their consent. Now B wants C, D, E, F, G, H, J, and K to help pay for I's hospital bill and - surprise - they don't want to.

Anybody else have a sudden urge for a bowl of Alphabet Soup?
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

A train leaves country A heading east at 60 miles per hour. Another train leaves country B heading west at 53 miles per hour. Assuming that they pass in country C while avoiding country D, at which time will the trains pass?
grin.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist...
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Southwest Airlines doesn't get any government money, but they seem to do it pretty good.....and they still manage to keep their people pretty happy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Preach it MTSU! Keep it real!!!
grin.gif
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, they took plenty of government money after the terrorist attacks and when we invaded Iraq. Of course they did. They'd be idiots not to -- oh, wait, idiocy and airline "management" seem to go hand in hand, my bad.

Back