Delta May Face Costly Rehiring of 1,060 Pilots

Minuteman

“Dongola”
[ QUOTE ]
NEW YORK -- Delta Air Lines (DAL), already facing the prospect of an $85 million pilot pay raise going into effect this week, may be forced to recall more than 1,000 furloughed pilots at a potential additional annual cost of more than $100 million, Thursday's Wall Street Journal reported.

Under a ruling issued last year by a panel set up to referee disputes between Delta and unionized flight crews, the company is obligated to rehire 1,060 pilots laid off amid the airline downturn after Sept. 11, 2001, once it returns to passenger volumes similar to those from a period before the attacks.

Company representatives this week handed over to Delta's Air Line Pilots Association unit data indicating that the carrier had hit the required trigger during the period from December 2003 through March 2004, according to people familiar with the matter.

Recalling the 1,060 would increase Delta's annual wage costs by about $115 million, not including benefits. That is on top of the 4.5% pay raise taking effect Saturday, estimated to add $85 million more in annual labor expense, according to the company.

Wall Street Journal Staff Reporter Evan Perez contributed to this report.

Dow Jones Newswires 04-29-04 0445ET Copyright (C) 2004 Dow Jones & Company, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee, what a great way to put a positive spin on trying to return things to normal.

Um, didn't the pilots agree to forgo that raise if Delta would settle for less than a 30% pay cut? At this point, if I were Delta, I'd take the deal that ALPA has on the table. Some savings is better than none. Besides, I seriously doubt the pilot group will agree to a 30% pay cut. Especially since it will probably show up in some executive's bonus for getting the labor union to agree to it......

(hands over mouth)

Mmmmph! RRRmmmph!

Oh, so many things I'd like to say, but being consistent with the policies set forth in the FOM, I'd better just muzzle myself.

[ QUOTE ]
Oh, so many things I'd like to say, but being consistent with the policies set forth in the FOM, I'd better just muzzle myself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh come on. We won't tell anyone.

Waay too many dragonfire.delta.com hosts on my server logs to speak too freely.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh come on. We won't tell anyone.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now if there were a new guy to show up in the forum with a name like, say, Druggie Trailer, and were to offer some insights......
bandit.gif

Well, I've clearly identified myself as "Doug Taylor", "Doug Taylor" owns the domain name and leases the server, I'd be hung out to try if they wanted to press the issue.

There are other pilots that are employed by (albeit do not speak for) my employer (legalese!) that haven't blown their cover that might be able to speak a bit more freely. But my personal liability light is flashing rapidly.

I don't see how they figure the furloughed pilots are going to come back at an average of 115k each. How many years did they have with the company before furlough? 2? 3 tops?

Wow, I wish I made $115! And I'm a seven-year guy!

That guy in the interview also said I should be a eight-year captain... Ahh how times change!

Actually, I think where they are getting that is taking 737 F/O 4th year rate including the 1 May 2004 raise. That's 136.91/hr. Times 70 hrs a month = 115,004.40 a year. Of course, if they leave guys unqualled, then they get 727 S/O pay at 70 hrs a month. That's only 117/hr.

PS: Hate to tell you Doug, (Kristie, stop reading NOW!!) 7th year pay on the 88 after 1 May is well over 115K gross.

awww... you know me.. if someone tells me NOT to do something - then I have to delve into it right?! hahahaha
banghead.gif

that may be true.. I have to get doug to look at the specs... but we SURE as HECK aren't seeing that net pay!! I wonder what else we have to do to get some of those $$ back... and no, having kids isn't one of them! haha

[ QUOTE ]
Well after taxes that 115K is not nearly as good as it sounds.

[/ QUOTE ]
YOu gotta be fricking kidding me with that!!!!

My parents - TOGETHER - never made anywhere close to that and my fater was an electrical engineer (retired in `91) and my mother is an RN. I make just over $40K at my current job. $115K is freaking AWESOME by comparison - before, after, during, underneath, behind, over, inside taxes.

The trick is - and people hate to hear this - LIVE BELOW YOUR MEANS!!!

<font color="red">Disclaimer: This is by no means an attack on Delta Pilots or any pilot salary. I truly hope they get even better than they are now. But for someone who has not reached that level of skill, experience and income to say "that's not a lot of money..." to a forum FULL of folks who make MUCH less than that....is rediculous. </font>

And just as much as people hate to hear the fact that, for the vast majority of people, their lifestyle expands to fill their paycheck. That means that if you make 20,000 or 200,000, most people are living pretty much paycheck to paycheck. It's the rare person today who has the discipline to live below their means and save for a rainy day.

True that.

Didn't mean to preach. I just find it funny (in a not so ha-ha way) when told that $100+K a year isn't a lot of money.

It's all in perspective.

When I was making $20K, $40K looked like a TON of $$ to me.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My parents - TOGETHER - never made anywhere close to that and my fater was an electrical engineer (retired in `91) and my mother is an RN. I make just over $40K at my current job. $115K is freaking AWESOME by comparison - before, after, during, underneath, behind, over, inside taxes.

<font color="red">Disclaimer: This is by no means an attack on Delta Pilots or any pilot salary. I truly hope they get even better than they are now. But for someone who has not reached that level of skill, experience and income to say "that's not a lot of money..." to a forum FULL of folks who make MUCH less than that....is rediculous. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is, 40K after takes is a lot closer to 40K, then 115K after taxes is to 115K. Yeah, they'll still be making more in the long run, but most people don't realize how much someone making such a large income actually brings home. I never said "that's not a lot of money", what I said was "115K is not nearly as good as it sounds." 115K is a lot of money, but when you look at how much goes right to the IRS, the amount they make is not as much as many people think it is.

Looks Official!!

"Furlough Recall Update
April 30, 2004

Today, Delta informed ALPA that management agrees with the Association that the furlough recall trigger has been met, per the arbitrator's ruling. We will be meeting with management in the near future to discuss the recall."

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My point is, 40K after takes is a lot closer to 40K, then 115K after taxes is to 115K. Yeah, they'll still be making more in the long run, but most people don't realize how much someone making such a large income actually brings home. I never said "that's not a lot of money", what I said was "115K is not nearly as good as it sounds." 115K is a lot of money, but when you look at how much goes right to the IRS, the amount they make is not as much as many people think it is.

[/ QUOTE ]that's right.. and i'm not trying to demean $$ figures either.. but figure he may get 115K but a good 30K is going into soc sec &amp; medicare (he pays the maximum amount in both of those categories because of the high salary) and at least 36-40% on fed taxes (I think we paid $25K this past year alone)... then there's also union dues etc that take a chunk out each month...

my job pretty much offsets (evens out) the amount that disappears from his check every year!

plus, we try to live below our means even tho we have a pretty nice house (it's not extravegant but did gain 80K in under 2 years - all about LOCATION) &amp; car... but keep in mind that when your traveling all the time, a good chunk of your $$ are going to go into commuting/eating out/cell phone costs.. I'd say doug spends on average $500-600/month just for cell phone usage ($100/month max minutes), eating out (easily $30/day) &amp; commuter hotel ($40-50 per night)... he gets some of the eating out $$ back from per diem - but it's also taxed, so he doesn't see it all....

it's easy to say live below your means... If your a regional pilot, then you have no choice but to live under your means and when you get into the major's most people would live below their means if not for the opportunity to live a bit better..most live above their means only by way of house which of course, is an investment... the only thing we (doug and I) have that would be considered above our means is the house and car (necessary, but the type of car was a treat for us)...

but when your in a pilot like family life, the cost of commuting/eating/cell phone adds up and has to be taken into account....

I'm not complaining at all.. just trying to give a little more insite on how things add up and/or disappear before you even see them! haha I have to admit, sometimes i wish we made less $$ because then, maybe we'd see more of it and be able to do more with it!
bandit.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I'd say doug spends on average $500-600/month just for cell phone usage

[/ QUOTE ]

For $100 bucks you can get 1800 anytime and unlimited night/weekends/ and cell to cell calls with Sprint. For another $60 bucks you can get unlimited mobile internet usage through the phone.

That's a lot to be spending for a cell phone these days.

Back