Delta - is this possible?

When you talk to the guy use these words exactly, "So, how did the SLI and the latest AE work out for you? Also, what do you think of the JCBA?" How he answers will tell you a lot.

I agree with this, I was at the local watering hole yesterday and this uncommonly loud bartender wouldn't stop asking questions about the Hudson river accident and was telling other bar goers that I was a pilot. Makes you uncomfortable when your just trying to have a beer with the old lady. From now on I'm a office furniture salesman or if they know I'm gonna say I work for Family Airlines and proceed to get out of control drunk.

"I'm an industrial poet! I provide poems for heavy industry."

Speaking of that, a couple guys had me cornered telling me about flying airplanes ("I was a firefighter in NY, I KNOW this stuff, fuggedabowdit") and he kept saying "copilot"... It was so cute because Kristie would say over my shoulder, "It's first officer!"

That's my kitty!

Well, I ran into our friend today and I first asked him how old he is and he is older than I thought at 41. I asked him again what he flies and he says MD-880 to which I replied, funny I thought Convair had the only 880 designation. Then he says no you misheard me I said 88, to which I said well the 88 is just a glorified MD-80 is it not (I know its different) and he says well basically just different engines. So I asked how he likes the 777 and he says well I have been "selected for an FO position and I am waiting for it to come through" So I asked again, how you go from a MD-80 to a 777 and he replies, "well I used to fly 757's but moved down to a MD-880 for more time in the seat" So I say well you moved to the left then in the MD-880 (and he didn't correct me on the a/c type) and he says "no, still an FO but I get more time and better routes"

I dunno I am just a simple government employee/pilot but I can't image going from a 757 to an MD-80 then to a 777, seems to be a bit backwards to me.

Thoughts?:yup:

If this really is a natural progression then you airline guys are more screwy then us Gov. employee's

Oh and my usual profession is "Professional Embalmer" - nobody EVER wants to hear about your job after that.

When you upgrade at an airline, does it have to be in the type airplane you were FO in? Could he have been right seat in the 757, gained enough seniority to upgrade, but the only left seat available was in the MD-88? Or it doesn't work that way.

When you upgrade at an airline, does it have to be in the type airplane you were FO in? Could he have been right seat in the 757, gained enough seniority to upgrade, but the only left seat available was in the MD-88? Or it doesn't work that way.
He said he remained right seat in the MD-88"0"

I like the question about the SLI and the AE. Use the acronyms. Someone in the know will know what they mean, someone who doesn't. Well, all I can say is "busted."

You don't have to upgrade in the aircraft you were an FO in (like going from the 757 to the "880"), but I do believe Delta has a seat lock in place for changing equipment.

If it's a voluntary bid or even a voluntary displacement, there's a 2 year seat lock.

In Bill's case, a mandatory displacement, there is no seat lock.

If your seniority can hold it, you can bid it. If you're an 88 F/O but hang out on the equipment for QOL but eventually decide to bid -800 CA, and you are senior enough to hold -800 CA in the next bed, you will be awarded -800 CA even if you've never been an F/O on that airplane.

Back