Delta is planning on hiring 1300 in 2020

With all the projected hiring everywhere, what does this actually look like for the industry? There seems to be two camps — “everyone is getting a job somewhere beyond the regionals” and the “everything is going to be ultra competitive still” crowd. Is the regional’s pilot supply getting pillaged? Are we going to see people hitting hiring minimums getting called? Did Epstein really kill himself?

With all the projected hiring everywhere, what does this actually look like for the industry? There seems to be two camps — “everyone is getting a job somewhere beyond the regionals” and the “everything is going to be ultra competitive still” crowd. Is the regional’s pilot supply getting pillaged? Are we going to see people hitting hiring minimums getting called? Did Epstein really kill himself?
Any projection beyond the next class is just that, a projection. We’re due for an economic correction, and even without that the growth of demand is going to taper off eventually.

As far as all the ridiculous numbers that Boeing et al throw out for needing umpteen gazillion pilots over the next 20 years, I’m fairly certain those are wildly manipulated numbers to help push a number of agendas including reducing required qualifications and expediting single/no pilot aircraft.

Truth.

1500 pilots to be hired can swiftly disintegrate into 200 or a furlough at the drop of a hat.

AA starts to lose almost 1,000/year in 2020 (for many years) to retirement. I know you and UAL are similar. I don’t see how anything short of another 911 results in a furlough.

But 9-11 was a surprise and whatever else comes next could be a surprise.
What was the highest number furloughed on 911? 3,000? So, about three years worth of hiring. I’ve heard (could be BS) that the magical number for furloughs is ~18months to 2 years and it’s worth it for the airline to park guys and be worth the price of requal.

I agree anything could happen. It would just take a lot with the retirements coming. 67 and another 911? Yeah, that would hit the breaks, but not for long.

What was the highest number furloughed on 911? 3,000? So, about three years worth of hiring. I’ve heard (could be BS) that the magical number for furloughs is ~18months to 2 years and it’s worth it for the airline to park guys and be worth the price of requal.

I agree anything could happen. It would just take a lot with the retirements coming. 67 and another 911? Yeah, that would hit the breaks, but not for long.

All it takes is a merger, followed by an economic downturn. Ask the TWA guys how that went for them.

I am, there's no doubt. I jumped into this industry during a not great period of time, and now I'm basically waiting for the next disaster.

On the other hand, I'm greatfull for when times are good.
Bruh were buying 100 jets!

me: “I see 10 in 1Q20, my job as a copilot is secured”

every millennial: “wut”

me: “bish, member the mid 00s?”

Yeah, I remembered this morning. I got something in there.
My only hope is that enough wives are pressuring their husbands to bid off Christmas, that way I can sneak in to a line.
Considering that the JPWG was all “FYI no unstack height limit for reserves” I doubt many will do so.

Back