daily pic

F26D9DCF-2988-4E96-91FD-623F497744CB.jpeg

Living that layover life

In a handful of cities they were doing one cycle per day. 600lb loads of overnight envelopes could make sense.
With very few exceptions I leave the airport before the sun goes down, so that might be what they’re doing. Oddly enough, when flying checks was a thing, I used to occasionally ride along on helicopters flying from KBUR to downtown LA. This was normally done very late at night and I’d only get the invite when the person who was supposed to load the helicopter didn’t show up for work, I think I was just ballast. It was an awesome way to see the city, take off from our ramp, fly downtown and land on the top of a couple of really tall buildings and head back to the Ameriflight ramp to drop off the bags and then get a quick ride across the field back at my home FBO. Back in the olden times we were still allowed to have fun.

DHL Jet Ranger in EWR. This was a first for me, I've never seen a cargo livery on a helicopter.
53012933918_56d74c7a9d_c.jpg

There is a DHL helicopter that flies into JFK quite frequently and has had the same pilot for like 30 years. I can't tell if this is the same one from the photo but his callsign is DHL7. A lot of the controllers there are friendly with him, I never talked to him though. He would occasionally circle the tower.

Reactions: EIR
20230720_165926.jpg

From this afternoon's walk around town. On the opposite end of @SurferLucas 's DreADfuL LaYoVeR in JNU, this'll be the first time in nearly a month I've seen blue skies from the ground back home in the Northeast US. This is one of the many pond pathways in suburban MA, just northeast of BOS.
Boston is definitely diverse, and walking around the pond with the cellphone left on airplane mode was nice.

Back