Want to Buy Current instrument training material

BravoHotel

I am hoping to buy some current training material for a deal. My JEPP book is extremely out of date. As a diver driver / FE my instrument skills have perished, and I need to get back up to speed as I inch closer to the magic number. Thank you.

Thanks. I knew various places sold them, but can't argue with free!

Another source: your local library. I just picked up rod Machado's IFR book at mine via inter-library loan with another in-state library. It took a few extra days, but it was worth the wait.

Heavily seconded on the FAA pubs. They're free, they're all you need, and they're actually pretty darn good.

-Fox

It's also easier to use the downloaded free ones than it used to be. The big knock has always been that paper was better since it was more portable and you could take notes, highlight, bookmark, etc. Now we have tablets and apps that will let you do all that and more. For some, there will still be a preference for the feel of a book (I still prefer paper for some things) but most of the functional differences are gone.

It's also easier to use the downloaded free ones than it used to be. The big knock has always been that paper was better since it was more portable and you could take notes, highlight, bookmark, etc. Now we have tablets and apps that will let you do all that and more. For some, there will still be a preference for the feel of a book (I still prefer paper for some things) but most of the functional differences are gone.

I bought an iBooks version of the PHAK recently and it is riddled - heavily - with typos. I don't know if it's the process they use to get it into e-book format or what, but there are some phrases and sentences that are unintelligible on their own. Thank The Great Hoover for context.

@Acrofox - you have some experience with e-books. Any idea why the ebook version would be so mangled?

I bought an iBooks version of the PHAK recently and it is riddled - heavily - with typos. I don't know if it's the process they use to get it into e-book format or what, but there are some phrases and sentences that are unintelligible on their own. Thank The Great Hoover for context.

@Acrofox - you have some experience with e-books. Any idea why the ebook version would be so mangled?
I've heard there might be som issues with the FAA source file on this one. Amazon stopped selling the "Kindle version." Or it could be some other republisher that introduced the errore.Check out the current free version here. Do you see the same errors?

Yeah I see "sales" all the time of an "eBook version" of a free downloadable FAA publication that is compatible with virtually everything to begin with. It may not always be the case since some publishers may actually add value, but the "rip off" bell rings loudly whenever I see one. Even the Kindle one I just mentioned. $5.99 but there, I guess if all you have is a Kindle (not Kindle Fire) as a tablet, it's probably worth it for the reformatting.

Back