CrewPASS -- on its way?

Does AFA have an official stance on wanting access to the cockpit jumpseat?

Delta used to let the lead F/A ride as an observer (CA's discretion, of course) if there was an extra F/A on board (to maintain FAA min staffing in the cabin). So yes they can be there, under certain circumstances.

I was under the impression that it did, but I could be wrong :laff:

AMBER!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, when I last flew it was Oct 2002, and the FAA had not yet starting issuing these F/A certificates. So I have absolutely no knowledge of how they work at all. My certificate says PPL SEL ;)

As for whether or not they're "airmen" I really don't know. Perhaps that would be best asked to someone at a FSDO?

I was under the impression that it did, but I could be wrong :laff:

AMBER!!!!!!!!!!!

From the FAA's bulletin that dealt with the issuance of these new certificates:

Distinction. The Act distinguishes between this certificate and an airman’s certificate. This certificate is not an airman’s certificate as specified in Title 49 of the United States Code (49 U.S.C.), section 44703; it is a separate kind of certificate as specified in 49 U.S.C., section 44728.

:tmyk:

Well, there ya go! That answers that!

So it looks like being CASS would have nothing to do with allowing F/As access to cockpit jumpseats. :)

Interesting about the specifics of CrewPass, I did not know that :) Thanks!

Sec. 121.547 - Admission to flight deck.
(a) No person may admit any person to the flight deck of an aircraft unless the person being admitted is --
(1) A crewmember;
(2) An FAA air carrier inspector, a DOD commercial air carrier evaluator, or an authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board, who is performing official duties;
(3) Any person who --
(i) Has permission of the pilot in command, an appropriate management official of the part 119 certificate holder, and the Administrator; and
(ii) Is an employee of --
(A) The United States, or
(B) A part 119 certificate holder and whose duties are such that admission to the flightdeck is necessary or advantageous for safe operation; or
(C) An aeronautical enterprise certificated by the Administrator and whose duties are such that admission to the flightdeck is necessary or advantageous for safe operation.
(4) Any person who has the permission of the pilot in command, an appropriate management official of the part 119 certificate holder and the Administrator. Paragraph (a)(2) of this section does not limit the emergency authority of the pilot in command to exclude any person from the flightdeck in the interests of safety.
(b) For the purposes of paragraph (a)(3) of this section, employees of the United States who deal responsibly with matters relating to safety and employees of the certificate holder whose efficiency would be increased by familiarity with flight conditions, may be admitted by the certificate holder. However, the certificate holder may not admit employees of traffic, sales, or other departments that are not directly related to flight operations, unless they are eligible under paragraph (a)(4) of this section.
(c) No person may admit any person to the flight deck unless there is a seat available for his use in the passenger compartment, except --
(1) An FAA air carrier inspector, a DOD commercial air carrier evaluator, or authorized representative of the Administrator or National Transportation Safety Board who is checking or observing flight operations;
(2) An air traffic controller who is authorized by the Administrator to observe ATC procedures;
(3) A certificated airman employed by the certificate holder whose duties require an airman certificate;
(4) A certificated airman employed by another part 119 certificate holder whose duties with that part 119 certificate holder require an airman certificate and who is authorized by the part 119 certificate holder operating the aircraft to make specific trips over a route;
(5) An employee of the part 119 certificate holder operating the aircraft whose duty is directly related to the conduct or planning of flight operations or the in-flight monitoring of aircraft equipment or operating procedures, if his presence on the flightdeck is necessary to perform his duties and he has been authorized in writing by a responsible supervisor, listed in the Operations Manual as having that authority; and
(6) A technical representative of the manufacturer of the aircraft or its components whose duties are directly related to the in-flight monitoring of aircraft equipment or operating procedures, if his presence on the flightdeck is necessary to perform his duties and he has been authorized in writing by the Administrator and by a responsible supervisor of the operations department of the part 119 certificate holder, listed in the Operations Manual as having that authority.

Doesn't a FA meet all those criteria? I'm not 100% as I'm not a FA or deal with them on a daily basis.

Op Specs are obviously different. And PIC is the final authority.

They can come up there when I have to pee.

From the FAA's bulletin that dealt with the issuance of these new certificates:

Distinction. The Act distinguishes between this certificate and an airman’s certificate. This certificate is not an airman’s certificate as specified in Title 49 of the United States Code (49 U.S.C.), section 44703; it is a separate kind of certificate as specified in 49 U.S.C., section 44728.

Correct. It's like calling an A & P an airmans certificate. Just because you have the piece of paper(or blue thing now) doesn't make you an airman. Just like having the SIC type rating you are NOT type rated. ICAO and the FAA empowering every one with more pieces of flare!

Does AFA have an official stance on wanting access to the cockpit jumpseat?

Delta used to let the lead F/A ride as an observer (CA's discretion, of course) if there was an extra F/A on board (to maintain FAA min staffing in the cabin). So yes they can be there, under certain circumstances.

That was actually a very good program because many of them really have no idea what goes on up there most of the time.

Usually the landing or takeoff ended up like "HOLY S---! I had no idea!"

Speaking of Delta FA's......

I had one 'jumpseat' on my flight this week. And, I'm 99% certain we do not have an FA jumpseat agreement w/ Delta, unless something new has transpired recently. Of course, I don't mind, someone is trying to get to work, so welcome aboard. HOWEVER, this person just handed my FA her jumpseat request form and took a seat in the cabin. It just doesn't work that way.

So, my question to you Delta people out there is this? What is your SOP for FA's requesting a jumpseat? Are they told to check in w/ the Captain?
I had my FA get her out of the seat and come up front to actually 'request' a ride. I also pointed out we don't have an agreement w/ Delta...but of course, I wanted to help her get to work, so she was welcome. She seemed perplexed by the fact she really didn't belong on the flight and had gone about getting a ride completely wrong. I wasn't trying to be a prick, just educating her on the protocol involved......after all, I gave her a ride and technically shouldn't have....would you Delta people give a Colgan FA a cabin jumpseat???

Any ideas?

Yup, at Delta they have to present themselves and their ID to the captain in order to ride.

We'vre supposedly had that agreement for a while. I've had Delta FAs jumpseat on flights I did out of SYR several times in the past few months.

Our FA's have agreements with a few places now (B6, SWA, DAL) and I've had a few FA jumpseaters recently. I actually checked with our DO as to what the correct procedure was and was told that they are NOT expected to actually check in upfront but our FA should inform us that we have one onboard.

Makes sense to me. I don't control who gets a seat in the cabin anyways (non revs etc) so I've got no problem with it.

Sweet, that's good news, good to hear we have an agreement.....any idea when that happened. I must've missed the 'memo.' Thanks for the information guys. I knew our FA's had agreements w/ JetBlue....but that was the only one I was aware of. Regardless, as I said before, I'm happy to help someone get to work regardless of 'agreements.'

I recently went through BWI and was impressed with the smooth process. The TSA employee who verified my CASS status did an excellent job and was very nice to us. The only problem was we still had to wait for our flight attendant while she went through the regular screening process ...so it sort of defeats the purpose. But for commuting, it is GREAT! Now all we need is every airport to have CrewPASS and allow flight attendants to go through.

Phoenix next, PHOENIX NEXT! Just Terminal 3, I could give less of a crap about the rest of the airport! :)

Sweet, that's good news, good to hear we have an agreement.....any idea when that happened. I must've missed the 'memo.' Thanks for the information guys. I knew our FA's had agreements w/ JetBlue....but that was the only one I was aware of. Regardless, as I said before, I'm happy to help someone get to work regardless of 'agreements.'

Umm, I'm glad I stumbled upon this thread. :confused: Unless it's different for you guys on the USAir/United side--Colgan does NOT have a jumpseat agreement with Delta for FA's. I can only jumpseat on JetBlue and ContinentalExpress (NOT mainline---although mainline FA's can jumpseat on us). There's some other smaller carriers that we have agreements with, but definitely NOT Delta.

On another note, I asked if our procedure was the same for FA's as it was for pilots about presenting the jumpseat form to the CA and was told, no, we as FA's don't do that. In 7 months at Colgan, I've only seen a few do that; and I jumpseated once, but it was on one of OUR flights so of course, I asked the CA's permission and handed him my form. :)

Qgar, get on the union to start working on reciprocal jumpseat agreements with other airlines.

Back