Crazy crazy crazy trip. A day in the life of a reserve pilot

flyguy

How's this for a day in the life....

Now I know I haven't been a professional pilot for too long. Any of you veterans have a story that can beat this?

Okay so I’ve had a few days to recover, and now I feel I’m ready to write about what was by far the craziest trip I’ve been on since I became a professional pilot. I showed up at the airport last Sunday for what was supposed to be a quick round trip from Denver CO to Hayden CO. My show time for the trip was 14:52, which would have put me home at about 18:00 had everything gone smoothly. Yeah right! This was a reserve assignment, and I was on reserve the 4 days following. Understanding the slight possibility of being re-flowed, I packed for a 5-day trip. Boy was I glad I did!

I arrived at the terminal about 25 min before my show time. I took a quick look at the departure board on my way to the crew lounge, to see what gate I would depart from, and see if we were on time. I’ve learned to take this information with a grain of salt, since gates are often changed and for some reason the departure board may show an on time departure for a flight that had been canceled early that morning, but it’s a good place to start my “research”. When I checked in for the trip, I continued my “research” by checking the flow board to see the status of the aircraft I was to fly to Hayden. The aircraft, which was supposed to be arriving from Memphis in a few minutes, had just left for Memphis. We were nearly 4 hours delayed, and this is looking optimistic since that left exactly 0 minutes to turn the aircraft in Memphis. Further research led me to the discovery that my fight attendant was stuck in Aspen, and my captain was delayed, on his way in from Great Falls. Fortunately, they both arrived within an hour, and we were all able to find each other. Even more good news was to follow, when the captain (who was hoping to get home to LA that night, and HIGHLY motivated to get going ASAP) was able to talk dispatch into finding another plane for us.

Our luck seemed to be turning around when we saw the plane at the gate waiting for us. The crew on-board was not so lucky though, as we had to be the ones to inform them that they were swapping. After a few minutes, they had all packed up their things and turned the plane over to us. We took another few minutes to settle in and were ready to board. Hmmm….about boarding however. This aircraft was set to go to Calgary, and was loaded with 12,000 lbs of fuel. We only need 5800 to go to Hayden. We are now very weight restricted. A quick calculation determines we can only take 32 of our 50 passengers and cannot take any baggage or cargo. Our pre-departure clearance gave us clearance with the wrong flight number so we had to call them up and get that straightened out while our 32 passengers were boarding. After boarding we completed all of our pre-departure paperwork and checklists, and just as we were about to call for a push-back clearance, we were informed that another aircraft had become available which would allow us to take all 50 passengers. Another swap….

We then de-boarded all the passengers, gathered our things, and left the airplane. The crew that would be taking our plane was headed to El Paso, and we were to take the airplane they were originally going to take. We crossed paths on our way off the jet bridge. We arrived at our 3rd aircraft, fortunately this one only had 2500 lbs of fuel so we can take all of our passengers and their baggage. But of course we will need to be fueled. The captain called operations to request fuel while I did the walk-around. Since this plane had been sitting for a couple hours, and it was –15 degrees Fahrenheit, there was a thick layer of frost on the wings. We would have to de-ice. The captain was not pleased to hear this as he was still hoping to make his flight home to LA that night, but he agreed that we would de-ice. At this point the passengers had boarded, and other than our lack of fuel, we were ready to go. The pre-departure clearance gave us a clearance to El Paso this time, so we again had to call up and fix that. About 20 minutes went by and still no fuel truck. Another call to ops revealed that they were at gate B80 and we were next in line. We were just at B80. They have 12,000 lbs already. More than enough to get to El Paso, even with an alternate. They don’t need fuel. We need fuel. Several more calls to ops, and several more times we are told they were on their way. Finally the captain got fed up, got out of the plane, walked up to the next fuel truck he saw, and talked to the fueler. Apparently they were told by ops that we were going to El Paso, and not to fuel our aircraft until further notice. Extremely bizarre since ops has been telling us for the last 45 minutes that they were calling them telling them to fuel us. El Capitan is furious at this point, and is getting into a shouting match with ops over the radio. Using the phrase “this is not Mesa Airlines” he thought might get the attention of United operations, who handles all United and United Express operations, including Mesa Airlines. But I digress. While the captain was arguing with ops, the fuel supervisor boarded the aircraft. Now that we have the fuel supervisor, and operations talking to us at the same time, we were able to get it straightened out and a fuel truck on the way. In all honesty, everyone was doing their best. Poor weather over nearly the entire country had created many delays and mass chaos.

So our original 4 hour delay, had been cut to only 2 hours. Still not too bad, considering the chaos. The mass chaos spread to crew scheduling as they left me 3 voicemails on my way to Hayden, to inform me I was being re-flowed as soon as I got back to Denver. Its only a 25 min fight, and I had 3 voicemails. They were in a panic that I wasn’t answering my phone WHILE I WAS FLYING. I actually didn’t have time to check my voicemail in Hayden, since we were in a hurry to turn it out as quickly as possible to make up a little time, and get back to Denver. Once I got back to Denver I checked my voicemail. Sure enough I was to overnight in Little Rock. I acknowledged the re-flow online, since I wasn’t particularly excited about calling them back in the chaos. When I checked in online I noticed it was only a 7 ½ hour overnight. Is this a standup? Its not legal to put me on a standup after I just flew a trip is it? So I ended up calling them anyway to straighten it out. Turns out it is not a standup, but we are so delayed that even with a reduced rest period our show time the next day will have to be adjusted, so we will call them when we land in Little Rock to determine what it will be. I wasn’t even aware of what the original departure time was supposed to be.

I checked the departure board, again taking the info with a grain of salt, to see what gate I was going to. I had time to get some dinner. So I enjoyed my meal, and afterward took another look at the departure board to make sure there was no gate change. No gate change, but there was a time change for the departure. It now leaves in 5 minutes!!!! Well I guess I’d better hurry. I’m kinda surprised my captain hasn’t tried to call me through crew scheduling to inform me of the time change. Turns out, it didn’t matter because we were still waiting on one of the flight attendants who was working an inbound flight that was delayed. In fact, she was the originally scheduled FA for the flight, and was flying with the crew that was originally scheduled to fly the trip. The captain, the other FA, and myself were tying to theorize what had happened. Did they all drop the trip? Did they get re-flowed? Why were we flying this trip when they already had a crew for it? Was it because we were delayed and they were hoping to get the flight off sooner with a new crew? Couldn’t be….we still have to wait for our other FA anyway. Well, when she finally showed up, she informed us of what had happened. Crew scheduling called them all up and told them to go home. They were done with the trip. A reserve crew would fly it. Everyone, except her of course. She was still on the trip as scheduled. All of us were baffled. Why would they do that? We’ve still no explanation on that one. We ruled out crew rest issues. All we can guess is its been a crazy, crazy day for everyone, everywhere, and they were doing their best with what they had to work with. And I actually say that with no sarcasm. Although I am still scratching my head about it.

So now the plan was I was to fly to Little Rock for an overnight, and sit ready reserve for about an hour when I got back to Denver the next morning. Then I would be released. My Hayden turn has become a 2-day trip. Nothing too unusual. I’ve seen this happen before. About this time last year I had an Aspen turn which became a 3-day trip. While on my way back from Aspen we got an ACARS informing me I was being re-flowed. When I got back from Aspen I was to fly to Peoria IL for an overnight, then sit ready reserve for about an hour when I got back the next morning, then I’d be released. Well, while I was sitting ready the next morning, I got called to ferry a plane to Tucson for maintenance, then I’d deadhead back and I’d be released. Problem was, by the time we got to Tucson, the last flight of the day had left, so we had to overnight in Tucson and deadhead back in the morning. So at this point, with being re-flowed on a quick round-trip, with an overnight, and ready reserve when I got back, its starting to look similar to the trip last year. We got to Little Rock uneventfully other than the delay. It was a nice change too. It was 65 degrees, and after coming from the –15 of Denver, it was quite pleasant.

Day 2 – Due to our adjusted show-time because of our late arrival the night before, we were about an hour delayed leaving Little Rock the next morning. The cold front had finally caught back up with us, and some freezing rain came through a short time before we arrived at the aircraft. It had stopped raining, but had left ice on the plane. It was really strange actually. There was not any ice on anything except our plane. None of the ground equipment, or the ramp, or anything had any ice stick to it. Just the plane. It reminded me of the move the ‘The Truman Show’. De-icing was interesting to say the least. Little Rock being a somewhat warmer climate, doesn’t often have aircraft needing to de-ice. The de-ice crew was out of practice. It took 20 minutes to de-ice us, and we only needed type I. Oh well, at least we had a 140 knot headwind on the way back to Denver to look forward to.

By the time I got back to Denver I had a voicemail waiting. I had been re-flowed again. I was to ferry a plane for maintenance, then deadhead back and I’d be released. Guess where….Tucson. This trip is now looking eerily similar to my Aspen trip last year, right down to the very detail of having a female captain on the ferry flight. With that in mind, I checked our arrival time, compared it to our deadhead departure time, and sure enough, it was going to be tight. And sure enough, we missed it. The last flight of the day had just pushed back, and we were spending the night in Tucson. Just like last year. That was the end of the similarity in the trip however. This year they were going to have me sit reserve at the hotel in Tucson until 15:27 the next afternoon when my deadhead departed. Then I’d sit ready reserve in Denver until 21:00 when I’d meet up with my 4th crew in 3 days to fly to Lincoln for an over-night, then a round-trip to Chicago the next morning, before finally ending the trip in Denver. Then I would be released. Hmm… I’ve heard that before. LOL

Day 3- I actually didn’t get called while I was on reserve in either Tucson, or Denver. I met up with my crew for our 21:13 departure to Lincoln, and we got there uneventfully. We actually had a decent overnight too, with some time to go out, enjoy ourselves, and unwind a bit. Our show time wasn’t until 14:10 the next day. The captain was a really nice guy, and a good pilot, but not the most social person. He slam-clicked on us, which was expected. So the flight attendant and I decided to go out on our own. Having some time to go out and enjoy myself was just what I needed after the chaos of the trip. The place we went however didn’t take credit cards, and I was out of cash, so I went to the ATM. For some reason, I forgot my PIN. It just left my head completely. Up until the day before, I knew it like the back of my hand, and it was like an automatic reaction to key it in after I swiped my card. But tonight, it was just gone. I spent the next 30 minutes or so just staring at the number pad on my phone, trying to recall my PIN, but it didn’t help. The flight attendant, bless her heart, offered to cover my bill, and I’d pay her back when I could. At about 3AM, my PIN came to me, and I ran across the street to the ATM to insure I hadn’t lost my mind. Of course going across the street to an ATM in sub-zero temperatures at 3AM is not the best way to prove I hadn’t lost my mind, but the PIN thing was bugging me so much, I had to make sure that was all behind me…..and get some cash while I still had the chance. Who knows if I’ll forget it again? LOL

Day 4 – Met the flight attendant for lunch. I took care of the bill to make up for last night. Got back to the hotel, started getting ready and got a call from the captain informing us we are delayed. What else is new? Typical O’Hare flow delays. But other than the small delay, we made it to Chicago, back to Lincoln, and home to Denver uneventfully, and even made up most of the time we had lost. Not too bad, especially considering that monster headwind was still there for us to fight with. When I turned on my phone I had a voicemail waiting. Fearing the worst, I told my crew to enjoy their time off, it was a pleasure flying with them, etc. Fortunately, it was my girlfriend. It was good to hear her voice. Especially since I was so used to hearing crew support on the other end. I went to my locker to drop off my flight kit. Then I looked at my watch. My release time had come and gone, and I was free!!

A couple days later I received the best news I’ve received in a year. I’ve been awarded a line. A real line. No more reserve. I actually know where I’ll be, when I’ll be there, and who I’ll be flying with, a month ahead of time. And I can go in and drop trips, pickup trips etc. Crew scheduling no longer has reign over my life. At least for the month of January 2009. I’m excited to be getting a line, and my life as a reserve pilot sure ended with a bang!!

Re: Crazy crazy crazy trip. A day in the life of a reserve p

Very entertaining story! at the same time very :panic:. Congrats on the line!

Reserve does indeed suck, and so does weather.

One day while sitting airport standby in Newark I was assigned to no less than 4 different flights within a 20 minute period. I got a call from scheduling telling me where to go, so I went to grab my kit and decided to print out the pairing when I did so.

Turns out in the 2 minutes between getting off the phone with them and getting my kit, they had changed my schedule. Ok, I'll go where the computer says.

Then I get another call from them for the third modification, so I say "Ok, no big deal, I'm airport standby so do whatever you want with me."

I get up to the gate and start walking towards my gate. The FA goes to check me off on the paperwork and I'm not on it. Right about then a captain walks up to me and says, "Hey are you going to Memphis?"

"Nope, going to Fayetteville...wait phone's ringing hold on....yup going to Memphis with you."

Exciting times.

Yes, that is pretty crazy, but now imagine doing that every week, and you know how I feel. Being on reserve for nearly 2 years now, this is pretty much what my typical week is like. Just last week again, I was on a 6 day stretch of reserve (I usually don't bid 6 days, but I missed the bid because I was in training, so I got stuck with what they needed).

Saturday - Ready Reserve (no calls and released at 1400)

Sunday - 09:45 AM Report. Flew an out and back to BDL, suppose to be done and released at 16:00, but that changed. After I got back, I now had a 4.5 hour sit to do a 20 minute revenue flight to LEX for a reduced rest overnight.

Monday - 05:00 AM report. Two legs and back in base to be released at 10 a.m., but no that changed again. Got extended for 3 more days. Deadhead back to LEX to sit there for the rest of the day and head out early in the morning.

While I was in LEX, my schedule changed about 10 times. At one point I was suppose to be Deadheading back to CVG in the morning, then I had a different trip, but in the end they left me in LEX for another day, so in other words I had a 43 hour layover.

Tuesday - All day in LEX by myself

Wednesday - Was suppose to be a 5 AM report, but the CA and FA came in late the night before on reduced rest, so now we have a 6 AM report. Head up to LGA and then down to RDU for about a 1.5 hour sit, which turned into a 3 hour sit, due to delays and they decided to ferry in an airplane for us from CVG. Finally get in the airplane and ground control tells us JFK is on an "unofficial" ground stop to clear up some things. So we sit on the taxiway for about an hour and finally take-off. We get slowed and put into 2 holds on the way up to JFK. You know its been a long day when you leave its dark out and you finish when its dark. Finally get to the hotel way passed the original release time. Another 12+ hr. duty day.

Thursday - 7:30 AM report. I was still tired and exhausted from the past few days and was looking forward to just deadheading back to CVG and be done around 11 am. But you guessed it, that changed again. Now I was suppose to deadhead to DCA, sit for 3 hours to operate a flight to BOS, because the original FO has a 30 in 7 issue, and then deadhead back to CVG. Ended up back in CVG around 19:30. Another 12 hr. duty day.

This was just last week, I actually have to deal with this every single week and could write a book. I'm not looking forward to this week. Life as a reservist continues (at least for another month until furlough ;) )

Sounds like any given day in the corporate world. I know my job is a little more "dysfunctional" than other corporate gigs, but just today I've negotiated a fuel uplift where there is a major fuel shortage, dealt with 3 departure time/date changes, arranged and updated my itenerary/flight plan with Universal, notified CBP of my original itenerary and the subsequent amendments, and just found out that I have to quick turn to head right back out with another group of pax tomorrow when I get home. I also had to arrange 2 contract pilots; one to fly with me in the Hawker and one to fly a Cirrus trip that I was supposed to do, arrange a rental car for a passenger at IAD and one at PBI. To finish off my day, I've made airline and hotel reservations for the next 2 weeks in places that hotel and airline reservations aren't very easy to get this time of year (Caribbean vacation spots).

You airline guys have all that crap done for you. Enjoy it.

Flyguy --

Great post... gives people on the outside a great perspective on the dynamics of being a RSV guy. Congrats on the line! In most ways it's certainly better, although sometimes the uncertainty of reserve can be exciting.

That's crazy dude. I can't top that but I did boad a flight to jumpseat, that didn't have pilots one time. I couldn't figure out why the FA wouldn't let me talk to the pilots (the door was closed). Finally after 10 minutes of sitting there with 49 other people in almost complete silence, I went back up front and she was like "they're not here. Nobody knows where they are! They thought they could go home and scheduling is trying to call them back!" Needless to say that was after 7 hours of trying to get home and yes I made it home on that flight, with the pilots that were originally sent home!

Think of it from the crew scheduler's point of view haha! All you gotta do is fly where you're told to... they have to make SENSE of all that chaos ;)

I wonder what the suicide rate is like?!

That's pretty much what I do every week as well, except not always quite that exciting! :) I'm currently at the hotel on an overnight that I was supposed to be in my own bed. Tomorrow is day 6, an extension. It sure would be nice to actually have some time at home so I could actually get some things done that I would like to. 5 or 6 on with 1 or 2 off on RSV is just too fun.

Thanks for all the congrats. And looking back, its was somewhat fun and exciting. It was just like the perfect storm of events that led up to a turn becoming a crazy 4-day.

Oh and I forgot to mention, while doing my walkaround on the last leg of the trip, I slipped on some ice that resided under a thin layer of snow at the foot of the stairs of the jetbridge. It wasn't just a little slip and fall on my knees like you might expect. No, no, it was more like a cartoon. My feet went straight out in front of me and I fell flat on my back. Just like a gullible Charlie Brown, after his attempt to kick a football that got pulled out from under his feet. I hit my shin on the jetbridge stairs, and got a nasty scrape, and I also fell on my thumb and smashed it pretty good. Its still a tiny bit sore. Perfect end to a perfect storm of a trip. :D

This sounds crazy man. What a way to end your reserve days...

To be honest I kind of liked my reserve days at ace, you never knew where you'd be going next, it was kind of cool.

Oh and I forgot to mention, while doing my walkaround on the last leg of the trip, I slipped on some ice that resided under a thin layer of snow at the foot of the stairs of the jetbridge.

No pilot should go without
. Picked us up a few pair at a trade show in SLC when we took some company execs out there a few months ago. They enabled me to haul ass at full speed the other day in ICT with 2 inches of packed snow and patchy ice on the ramp when I forgot the catering in the FBO just before departure.

I've only read Day One and will read more later. It sounds like your Capt bungled the works. "The hurriedier I go, the behinder I get" describes his actions. And the crew swap, except the FA, you couldn't figure out...I wonder if there wasn't a clone of your Capt doing the same thing at the other end.

I've only read Day One and will read more later. It sounds like your Capt bungled the works. "The hurriedier I go, the behinder I get" describes his actions. And the crew swap, except the FA, you couldn't figure out...I wonder if there wasn't a clone of your Capt doing the same thing at the other end.

Really? I seriously doubt that nonsense could be put on the Captain.

Although, I do agree that hurrying tends to lead to mistakes.....but that wasn't my take on this particular situation.

“this is not Mesa Airlines”

Seriously! I've had some crazy trips too, but I don't think any of them as crazy as the one you just described. I guess the grass isn't always greener.

Back