COVID Infection Rate, Pilots Vs Flight Attendants

You’ve never asked “how do the wings look” after they return from the walk-around when you know there’s frost all over them? :)

“Oh, we’re good” means he either didn’t check or doesn’t care about us ending up on instagram or invited to the big brown desk.

But yes, I’ll ask questions I already know the answer to sometimes because I want to engage you, know what you’re thoughts on on that big assed storm you’re flying toward, what your thoughts are with an EFC time that’s well past our holding fuel and if that answer doesn’t jibe with what’s in my head, maybe I’m the screwed up one so I can get some feedback or perspective. I’m not Xerxes.
I agree with all of that. Your previous post would equate to you saying “wings look clean to me” when you know they’re not. Different deal. It why your comment surprised me

I have. Told them I have plans for dinner with a friend but actually just slam clicked because I couldn't stand the thought of going to dinner after having been together for like 10 hours already.

<——- Guilty!

I agree with all of that. Your previous post would equate to you saying “wings look clean to me” when you know they’re not. Different deal. It why your comment surprised me

Nah, that’s not really what I intended.

Agreed. Looking for controversy immediately starting a trip doesn’t bode well for CRM.
I think you mis understand Derglas. I have pilots who think I'm a hard right wing pilot or hard left wing or "boy he doesn't pay much attention to politics" depending how they introduce themselves. Like as an FO with 9K hours and captain on multiple types I've learned "yeah I think your way is the stupidest way to do this but it's not worth me offering my opinion because I know it'll work (because I did it that way once)".

Do whatever the captain clearly is and go with it. That way you don't have to hear about how youre wrong because of blah blah blah.

Also it's kinda fun to pretend to be hard right or hard left and then hit them with a "actually the biggest miss was AOC and her type not being republicans," or "no Democrats want popular vote because they know they can buy votes off populism, and that's fine because republicans will do the same thing if the rules change, populism is the enemy and the founders knew it, that's also why republicans are dabbling with a populist president because they are innately stupid" and give them a hot take to stun them in their tracks.

Last edited:
Agreed. Looking for controversy immediately starting a trip doesn’t bode well for CRM.
hiclipart.com.png

So I think this has been bugging me since the beginning of this post... and it’s about the original topic.

Is there someone out there who’s the average person who wouldn’t make at least an attempt to let folks they know or work with know they’re hacking at home with da Covid, with their 99.7% survival rate, as long as they weren’t in the 0.3% and unable to make the call ‘cause it hit them in two days or something?

I guess a truly single type who lives alone or self transports to the Covid ward might get out of doing it, and maybe a tiny number of weirdos who’d see telling anybody as some sort of medical privacy issue, but at least in this biz, you’d likely at least have to notify employers, and word gets around.

Not sure I understand the initial post as something more formally needed like I don’t have both friends in and out of my work life and my company on speed dial in my phone already. A special contact list or something just for getting sick?

Maybe I’m misreading it. It seems kinda obvious if I was sitting here hacking that I’d make a call or three and text when I felt well enough or tell wifey-sauce to do the important ones. Like... no real special contact list required...?

We’ve known about the six infected folk we know but had no contact with from within hours of their diagnosis or in the one case, brief hospitalization to kick her back home with an O2 tank as a safety measure against her known co-morbidity.

Would hear about direct contact or co-workers even faster I bet.

Anyway. Just stuck on that. Definitely don’t need any pre-planned contact tracing or plan or whatever — at the speed these reports got to us. Not anywhere with Internet coverage anyway.

Companies surely would need a bit of planning but wouldn’t be my thing to do. I’d contact co-workers myself generally first but the company would have to follow up also.

Not aviation biz but my company has had to do the dance calling two people who might have contacted a third, while following HIPAA rules. Even I am barely inside the need-to-know circle on that because of job role, but they handled it fine and generic info also passed to all employees about it.

Truly is there something I’m missing here where a special list needs to be made by some?

“Cough cough, hey honey text Bill and let him know. He’ll call the other bosses. And I’ll text Joe since we worked together within the possible timeframe. He’ll know who else was there and take care of them or he and Bill can figure it out... Cough...”

Honestly for my line of work two texts would handle it.

And I just realized I posted that whole thing on the wrong thread. LOL.

Ahh screw it. Don’t care.

But disregard all after good morning, over.

So I think this has been bugging me since the beginning of this post... and it’s about the original topic.

Is there someone out there who’s the average person who wouldn’t make at least an attempt to let folks they know or work with know they’re hacking at home with da Covid, with their 99.7% survival rate, as long as they weren’t in the 0.3% and unable to make the call ‘cause it hit them in two days or something?

I guess a truly single type who lives alone or self transports to the Covid ward might get out of doing it, and maybe a tiny number of weirdos who’d see telling anybody as some sort of medical privacy issue, but at least in this biz, you’d likely at least have to notify employers, and word gets around.

Not sure I understand the initial post as something more formally needed like I don’t have both friends in and out of my work life and my company on speed dial in my phone already. A special contact list or something just for getting sick?

Maybe I’m misreading it. It seems kinda obvious if I was sitting here hacking that I’d make a call or three and text when I felt well enough or tell wifey-sauce to do the important ones. Like... no real special contact list required...?

We’ve known about the six infected folk we know but had no contact with from within hours of their diagnosis or in the one case, brief hospitalization to kick her back home with an O2 tank as a safety measure against her known co-morbidity.

Would hear about direct contact or co-workers even faster I bet.

Anyway. Just stuck on that. Definitely don’t need any pre-planned contact tracing or plan or whatever — at the speed these reports got to us. Not anywhere with Internet coverage anyway.

Companies surely would need a bit of planning but wouldn’t be my thing to do. I’d contact co-workers myself generally first but the company would have to follow up also.

Not aviation biz but my company has had to do the dance calling two people who might have contacted a third, while following HIPAA rules. Even I am barely inside the need-to-know circle on that because of job role, but they handled it fine and generic info also passed to all employees about it.

Truly is there something I’m missing here where a special list needs to be made by some?

“Cough cough, hey honey text Bill and let him know. He’ll call the other bosses. And I’ll text Joe since we worked together within the possible timeframe. He’ll know who else was there and take care of them or he and Bill can figure it out... Cough...”

Honestly for my line of work two texts would handle it.
Not entirely sure where you're going with this but just a little fyi....it was over a week of just feeling crummy or just "off" before the fevers started. And then it was a few days of low grade fevers and just feeling a little warm before the shortness of breath. And then it took another day before the coughing started. And the coughing was not the sick kinda cough. It was "I cant breath" type dry cough. That was my experience and symptoms at least. I guess what I'm getting at is that it starts very subtle. Not exactly obvious. That is probably why it can spread so easily.

Not entirely sure where you're going with this but just a little fyi....it was over a week of just feeling crummy or just "off" before the fevers started. And then it was a few days of low grade fevers and just feeling a little warm before the shortness of breath. And then it took another day before the coughing started. And the coughing was not the sick kinda cough. It was "I cant breath" type dry cough. That was my experience and symptoms at least. I guess what I'm getting at is that it starts very subtle. Not exactly obvious. That is probably why it can spread so easily.

Probably. Good info too. Thanks.

The mini rant above was aimed at a different thread where someone suggested setting up a special “contact tracing” type system for yourself to let others know if you caught the crud.

I clicked in the wrong thread when bored earlier and replied with the above wondering why anyone needed anything special planned.

If you caught it, with modem fast Comm in all our pockets, a few texts and a call or two and the news will be around to whoever needs to know in hours.

Oh well. Not going to copy and repost — the thing can just sit here as a testament to one guy clicking the wrong magical touchscreen spot. LOL!

That's what scares the hell out of me. Between the regular getting old and my body deciding it hates certain things to friggin' Sahara dust being a thing in the southern U.S., every little thing makes me paranoid that it's the start of something nasty. Hope you're doing alright now. It doesn't sound like a fun ride for anybody.

That's what scares the hell out of me. Between the regular getting old and my body deciding it hates certain things to friggin' Sahara dust being a thing in the southern U.S., every little thing makes me paranoid that it's the start of something nasty. Hope you're doing alright now. It doesn't sound like a fun ride for anybody.
I had what I assume was a garden variety respiratory infection in March and I think it was 8+ weeks before i could talk without having to stifle a cough. Probably should have gone to the doc to make sure I didn’t have pneumonia or something.

I'm 100% over it now. Feel completely normal for almost a week now. Scary as hell though. I completely understand how bad it can get if you have any other breathing issues to begin with or "comorbidities". I was a little worried there for a few days.

Funny enough my doctor was insistent that I not go to the hospital unless absolutely necessary. Her reasoning is that the hospitals have been quick to intubate on ventilators because that's what they are set up to do, treat the immediate symptoms.

I did a few rounds of vitamin C IVs, hydroxychloroquine, Z pack and whole bunch of vitamins. My Doctor is great. She is a cardiothoracic surgeon and opened a Covid urgent care center.

ASL? That used to mean Age, Sex, Location, back in the AOL days...haha. Anyhow, thanks for sharing. Glad you are completely recovered. Just curious how old you are and where your doctor opened the Covid urgent care. That's a great idea.

ASL? That used to mean Age, Sex, Location, back in the AOL days...haha. Anyhow, thanks for sharing. Glad you are completely recovered. Just curious how old you are and where your doctor opened the Covid urgent care. That's a great idea.
That actually sounds faintly familiar. We had AOL but I wasnt the chat room type.

I just turned 36 this week and we live in Pinellas County Florida. Apparently an up and coming epicenter of this thing. Our doctors are located in St. Pete.

Fortunately, I have been on leave since April so I havnt intermingled with any flight crews since then. We are also relatively new to the state so we havnt had much contact with alot of people all summer. So the three people I've came in contact with all knew I was sick pretty early. The only other people would have been in passing at grocery stores and the one restaurant we have been to and sat down to eat in weeks.

It's been such a boring summer I called around looking to buy a jet ski. There is literally no inventory anywhere in the Tampa area. Earliest I could take delivery is Sept and possibly even February. Back to twiddling my thumbs.

It's been such a boring summer I called around looking to buy a jet ski. There is literally no inventory anywhere in the Tampa area. Earliest I could take delivery is Sept and possibly even February. Back to twiddling my thumbs.

Nice new pier in St Pete, still afraid to go see it. Skip the jetski, just get a boat. I've been out on the water probably every other day (as there ain't much else to do).

I have a friend in every layover city... Just in case.

My buddy got busted using his sister as an excuse to avoid the crew. In Amsterdam, “Oh, my sister’s in town we’re going to have lunch and talk about dad”, but then on the Seattle layover, he said “Oh my sisters in town and we’re going to have dinner and talk about dad”... DOH!

Back