Couple of F-18's taking off in nice crosswind

fast89pony

I imagine roll and yaw is a little harder to control at slow speeds in these things. The left plane leaves nice tires marks down the pavement. Definitely not saying I could do better. I couldn't even get the canopy down.. Must be a blast!

Armchair Below Average from me for the flight lead. Maybe two below for preflight headwork if the Xwind is out of limits. I'll let @///AMG amplify just in case not maintaining centerline is an acceptable practice in the Hornet NATOPS.

As an aside, the Australian flyers I have come across abroad have really been some of the best dudes I've ever hung out with, and they are truly some of our closest allies.

Doesn't lead go downwind anyway? It has been awhile since I've done any formation work. I remember a day where the xwinds were within limits but no flying due to out of limits for the parachute if someone punched.

Last edited:
I was not a Hornet driver but a T-45C Goshawk IP, a 2 plane, cruise, 4 plane and night form lead. Yes, lead takes downwind side and dash 2 did a much better job maintaing his position. Good thing not a section go, wing may have ended up in the dirt but my guess is not a section go for the winds.

Others experience may vary, but I can count on one hand how many times I've done a true section go in the hornet (or any grey or camo jet). Fleet standard is 10 second interval for the Hornet, though you can obviously brief otherwise assuming winds are in limits. I'm guessing our foreign partners probably operate it similarly. On a day like that, I might just brief individual rolls on centerline or offset into the wind. I've done that in Fallon on the first event of icy mornings when airfield ops claims the runway is clear, but you know you are still going to be the test pilot, and obtw you almost slipped and fell on the ramp walking to the jet because it was still that slick. I'd say lead should have used a little mo rudder like his wingman did in this case.

I imagine roll and yaw is a little harder to control at slow speeds in these things. The left plane leaves nice tires marks down the pavement. Definitely not saying I could do better. I couldn't even get the canopy down.. Must be a blast!

Lead not only took off upwind, but crossed center line (a no no) in a rather big way. In a sense, in this particular case, it was not really an issue, but simply poor form on Lead's part. This was not a formation takeoff or even, really, an interval takeoff. Interval is 5 seconds. In this case, Two didn't push throttle until almost 20 seconds had elapsed and lead was already airborne. So no issues with lead aborting and Two having to deal with it.
Therefore, even with the X-wind, it made sense that Two was downwind, as this put him on the inside of the departure turn, which is where he would want to be to catch up and form up.

Interval varies by TMS/MDS, at least in terms of what is "standard". For FOD considerations, in the F-16 we used a 15 second interval, whereas in the Hornet/SH we use 10. But yeah, he waited a looooooong time to start moving……then again, maybe it was because he saw his lead go skidding across the runway and decided to wait a few more potatoes if you know what I mean.

But yeah, he waited a looooooong time to start moving……then again, maybe it was because he saw his lead go skidding across the runway and decided to wait a few more potatoes if you know what I mean.
:bounce:

It was P-factor, happens in a Caravan too. Haven't flown an F-18 yet but I'm sure P-factor increases with that massive thrust!

:confused2:

Back