Corporate Culture Not Good In Aviation

Which is why I wrote: “Sort of like what was happening in the 121 world until Colgan, and then laws changed.”

Low time programs can work, like they do at Lufthansa, but not when the US was doing zero screening other than who can sign a loan. If one is going to be low timer, they need to be A game candidates. Eg, no failures, busts, high marks in school and college, etc.

Half the folks I saw at jetU were people who shouldn’t have been there.

Having no failure/bust does not make one a better pilot. Most of the people that I've flown next to in a Cessna/Piper (aka real stick and rudder flying compared to what you currently do). Had one or more failures/bust and were better pilots for it in the long run and were more humble, better listeners and teachable as a result. Some of the worst pilots I've flown with in GA have had zero failures and have never been challenged, were arrogant, unable to accept feedback, etc. Or had horrible really horrible ADM. Of course this is just been my actual experience, YMMV. You're VERY opinionated when it comes to a lot of things in aviation, but that's just your opinion and not actual facts.

Having no failure/bust does not make one a better pilot. Most of the people that I've flown next to in a Cessna/Piper (aka real stick and rudder flying compared to what you currently do). Had one or more failures/bust and were better pilots for it in the long run and were more humble, better listeners and teachable as a result. Some of the worst pilots I've flown with in GA have had zero failures and have never been challenged, were arrogant, unable to accept feedback, etc. Or had horrible really horrible ADM. Of course this is just been my actual experience, YMMV. You're VERY opinionated when it comes to a lot of things in aviation, but that's just your opinion and not actual facts.

Your experience. I do think you’re selecting very few incidents and generalizing overall. Fact remains, the recent accident record for 121 shows how multiple failure pilots play a role in said accident.

How far along are you? Any member announcement soon? :)

Oh man, I imagine if I was giving you a type rating checkride, I'd end up saying "Ok, one more chance, in 10 words or less, is this legal or not?" before pink-slipping you.

Hey @derg before you fail me, can you please please cover “how to do proper PAs” during Captain OE?

I mean, good lord……….

Oh Delta

View: https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3lOuSDvvhy/?utm_source=ig_embed&ig_rid=0fae645c-a6a6-45bb-8e76-2246991bd0f2&ig_mid=EC89CDCD-DF83-4530-A4D1-03AB3AA0311F

A thread for Corpie bashing?

here-we-go-sitdown.gif
I’ve not read past this yet- but I’m pretty sure he’s talking about corporate goons pushing the bottom line at a 121… not corporate flight departments. Could be wrong. When I’m stuck in the back of a 121 tomorrow maybe I’ll catch up

Simple fix. Start operating like 121. Voluntarily make that investment. Not saying have to upgrade the paperwork and behind the scenes stuff to get 121 certification. But operate like 121.
What exactly do you think my department does that isn’t like “121”?

I’m kind of curious- because honestly most 121’s are remarkably slow to react to safety trends - especially procedural stuff that comes from OEM’s. I mean, the first thing every 121 does when an AD comes out for their types - is seek relief.

What were your qualifications when you left JetU for your first job?

/THREAD.

Metaphorically, CC’s argument still rides the horse as his opinion’s head gets lopped off like the “Headless Horseman from Sleepy Hollow”.

”Spivey! The man doesn’t realize that he just got ENDED!”

Your experience. I do think you’re selecting very few incidents and generalizing overall. Fact remains, the recent accident record for 121 shows how multiple failure pilots play a role in said accident.

While I admit that my experience is low, I'm not in anyway saying that my experience/knowledge is better than yours. I'm just stating that things aren't always as black and white as you like to spew. My CFI said that he knows someone that failed his IR checkride in primary nine times. He's at Delta now, failure shouldn't always be fatal. The medical director at my hospital struggled though med school and he didn't graduate in the top 10% of his medical class. But his title is still doctor, actually its Medical director.

We as human being often learn best from failing. Did you fall off your bike as a kid when you were learning to ride? Or did you get it the first time out and never fall? If so does that make you a better rider than the one that fell? Apparently in your mind, it would seem so. Some people learn faster than others, but that doesn't always translate directly to actual skill and aptitude. You shouldn't always generalize, that's my point.

Edit function seems to be quicker now.

As far as my comment about "real flying". Not necessarily my words. I was repeating what I overheard last Saturday at KCHD, from an AA Airbus captain wanting to get back into GA. He said he was bored at work and wanted to be an aviator again, and actually fly a plane and have the feel of controls and rods and cables in his hands and not just push buttons.

Reactions: HJB
I agree with this. Some of ya’ll didn’t fail enough. Go through a rigorous military flying course that 2 Hollywood movies have been made about. See how many times you refly. After that experience, see how stressed you get about failure. Or how willing you are to fail a student who isn’t meeting the bar (and not feel bad about it). Though also to be fair, this is an apples to oranges comparison to 121 checkride failures, where you are mostly just proving you can competently do your job (or not).

operation dumbo drop and major league 2?

I agree with this. Some of ya’ll didn’t fail enough. Go through a rigorous military flying course that 2 Hollywood movies have been made about. See how many times you refly. After that experience, see how stressed you get about failure. Or how willing you are to fail a student who isn’t meeting the bar (and not feel bad about it). Though also to be fair, this is an apples to oranges comparison to 121 checkride failures, where you are mostly just proving you can competently do your job (or not).

As if 91 has standards. Technically, you could be a Comm, ME, Inst and find yourself getting typed in a Corpie jet and sit right seat.

Oh man. Irony is dead.

Low time programs can work, like they do at Lufthansa, but not when the US was doing zero screening other than who can sign a loan. If one is going to be low timer, they need to be A game candidates. Eg, no failures, busts, high marks in school and college, etc.

Do you consider yourself one of those “A game” candidates?

As for my background:

I’ve said most of this before so apologies for the wall of text but CC wants to know, so…

I went to Eagle after instructing for a little less than 2yrs, then to SkyWest (actually on the advice of Eagle pilots, it was not then the utopia Dacuj claims it was) and was there for a while.

The last 4 years at SkyWest I was commuting to ORD, and for 2 of those I was married to someone I met in the city I was commuting from. I didn’t see a long term plan forward that would allow for both flying and having the family life I wanted, so on an Omaha overnight when I was really missing my wife I walked to the Creighton University bookstore, bought a GRE prep book, and studied my ass off on trips for the next few months. Did well enough on the GRE—and was able to get rec letters from undergrad professors from a decade before—to get into a master’s program at a really good research university that covered tuition and offered a stipend that was greater than either of my first years at regionals.

Got the degree, most of my industry was screwed by the economy and Ted Cruz shutting down the government, but I lucked in to an oil and gas job where I started off pretty close to what 10yr legacy FO pay was at the time with 5.5 weeks of vacation, 10 holidays a year, every other Friday off and home every night.

Do I miss flying? Absolutely, which is why I’m still here.

I don’t give you crap for your chosen path except when you 1) denigrate other pilot groups for lack of safety standards or 2) tell other people/groups they need to bootstrap themselves better.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: HJB
Back