Considering leaving the profession for good, could use advice

Shrugs in "we have Beef Short Rib or ravioli"

Again? I'll just have a half dozen packets of gummy bears, a few bags of pretzels, a couple of the chocolate cookie squares, and a cup of "coffee." Oh and can you make sure it's freshly brewed and the cup has a lid on it that doesn't fit right and is bound to come off at the most inopportune time and spill scalding hot "coffee" on me? That would be swell.

Again? I'll just have a half dozen packets of gummy bears, a few bags of pretzels, a couple of the chocolate cookie squares, and a cup of "coffee." Oh and can you make sure it's freshly brewed and the cup has a lid on it that doesn't fit right and is bound to come off at the most inopportune time and spill scalding hot "coffee" on me? That would be swell.
737?

Shrugs in "we have Beef Short Rib or ravioli"
Easy fix for me. Bid Rome, pick up wonderful meats and cheeses in the city and eat the crew pasta. The only thing I’ll take from the crew meal is the dessert and salad.
IMG_4073.jpeg

Not my words.

But let's be realistic: involuntary contact with the CP is disciplinary in nature.

So that said, where are you going with this?

Look my shop has a dependability review with a ridiculously low threshold. Some might call it disciplinary , some wouldn’t. I’ve had one because I called out twice in a month ( both day trips) within a month of each other. Maybe 2-3 other sick calls during the year. My “ review” consisted of me saying “ hey I had a sinus infection at the beginning of the month and a root canal last week.” End of story.

Involuntary contact with the CP in my career has usually been “ hey Baronman, what’s up with? Ohhh ok thanks…” def not usually disciplinary in nature.

Another thing that he said was. "I already make really good money for my family. I'm not greedy. I don't need to make $300-400k."

Folks... if you either haven't been, or haven't lived in UT. The indoctrination is quite thick there. Church rules all and SKYW, like all all other big SLC/UT. corporate companies. Is an extension of the church.
There’s a huge difference between Utah Mormons and everywhere-else Mormons, I’ve noticed, and it has played out in a few different ways in aerospace. Dissent isn’t tolerated with Utah Mormons; the “one mighty and strong” is firmly in charge, all the time. Non-Utah Mormons do a lot more reading and thinking.

Setting aside that I actually like Salt Lake City and that the Beehive State is to be commended for its industriousness, there are certain attitudes that prevail in the Utah version of the Church that I consider antithetical to safe flight operations.

Look my shop has a dependability review with a ridiculously low threshold. Some might call it disciplinary , some wouldn’t. I’ve had one because I called out twice in a month ( both day trips) within a month of each other. Maybe 2-3 other sick calls during the year. My “ review” consisted of me saying “ hey I had a sinus infection at the beginning of the month and a root canal last week.” End of story.

Involuntary contact with the CP in my career has usually been “ hey Baronman, what’s up with? Ohhh ok thanks…” def not usually disciplinary in nature.
My last sick call, had it resulted in a good faith basis inquiry from the CPO, would have been quickly marked verified, as I sounded like Henry Kissinger for a few days.

SkyWest has golden days, then there are platinum days, under the “if you know, you know” category. Amazing how RES captains reliably get sick for a day toward the end of a full month, no?

(I never heard word-one in 6 years about my sick leave usage and I used ALL OF IT pretty reliably. Then again, I also had a really good set of chiefs.)

Had a 20+ year OO former base chief in my new hire class. Even though he moved on to an ALPA legacy he still was drunk on OO koolaid talking about how they never needed a union because they were family.

5 years later the dude volunteers in his new airline’s chief pilot office. Not special assignment. Not union. He just comes in and “helps” for free.
Is it HG?

XJT had one of those!

We called him Dwight, Assistant to the Chief Pilot. Finally weaseled his way into the big chair. It went about as well as you'd expect.

It seems the ones that actually WANT the job are the last ones that should have it.

Like the red shirts in Star Trek. “Even if you made captain, you/re not going to survive your first away team”

Nailed it.
He's actually a really good guy but definitely chugs the koolaid. Not at all surprised that he gravitated towards management but in his defense, he was one of the best chiefs I ever dealt with at OO.
Absolutely amazing dude, and one of the best Chief’s OO ever had the pleasure of having, however sometimes he’ll go on about how great the student council was and I’ll have to remind him he doesn’t have to think like that anymore, your in a safe place now.

200.gif

Back