Considering leaving the profession for good, could use advice

View attachment 78691

I was told that in my neck of the woods (back when I was teaching) that they want you to typically come up through the ranks and then apply to the Aviation division... I'm sure that would be a fun gig. The 121.5 guys had a couple of LE pilots talk about the lifestyle on their podcast if I remember right.

It would be cool in we had law enforcement pilots here that could answer anyone’s questions on the subject.

😇

Yup. Started my training in ‘09, industry was still in the tank. By ‘14 when I started at the regional it was pretty much gang-busters. Other than Covid it’s been a pretty great ride.

I went to college during a massive recession, furloughs and lots of pilots on the street. No one had hired for years. I kept flying though.

Freaking Jimmy Carter......and then overnight, the hostages are released, and you get hired at southern jets :)

Freaking Jimmy Carter......and then overnight, the hostages are released, and you get hired at southern jets :)

Ha! Totally. :)

But seriously, you can’t time it out. It’s like the stock market, sometimes you have to get in it at the “wrong” time.

If everyone stopped hiring overnight, I’d train more, faster and grind harder. So when the cycle swings upwards, you’re already in a position to take advantage of it.

Skyway wasn’t the smartest move for a west coaster and their equipment at the time.

SouthernJets wasn’t good move because “Oh, you’ll be a 727 flight engineer living in Atlanta the rest of your life”

Look I have THE worst luck/timing in aviation, period. 9/11, 2008 now COVID all put the breaks on my entry into the field. I had a time building job in the bag post primary flight training, in SLC, doing survey. COVID stopped that. Had my time building job not got canceled in May 2020, who knows where I would be now. My Mormon roommate at "Pilot House" got into the April aerial survey class, he's at Delta now. Timings everything in both life and aviation. I literally have the worst timing. And yes I know that you can't compare your situation to others. Just worried that people staying in their flight instructor seat longer due to the current climate will be yet another of many set backs for me in aviation. Wondering if maybe it’s a sign and the universe is saying, maybe aviation isn't for you, but a career in law enforcement is, maybe. Or maybe go back to school and get my Psy.d. At my age I don't have the time of someone in their early to middle twenty, or even thirties to just take a relaxed demeanor and say I can wait it out. Sixty-five is comin', if I'm fortunate to live that long in the current state of the world.
If the extraordinary silliness of 2021-2023 should teach anyone anything, it’s far better to have your certificates in hand for when we do engage in peak silliness.

Agreed.

You still writing that recommendation for me? School called me the other day?

I'm not worried right now about getting to a regional, or to a major. That's not my immediate concern, my flagging concern/anxiety is will I be able to get a seat post CFI/CFII/MEI, as an instructor, to be able to advance and build hours and experience. I'm not worried about being able to actually start my instructor ratings. I get emails at least once a week from the AeroGuard and CAE recruiters, who say that they can get me into a class the next month. So I know that later this year, when I'm ready and able I'll have a seat, because they want my money. But am I going to have a seat in 4-5 months after that as an instructor?

Look I have THE worst luck/timing in aviation, period. 9/11, 2008 now COVID all put the breaks on my entry into the field. I had a time building job in the bag post primary flight training, in SLC, doing survey. COVID stopped that. Had my time building job not got canceled in May 2020, who knows where I would be now. My Mormon roommate at "Pilot House" got into the April aerial survey class, he's at Delta now. Timings everything in both life and aviation. I literally have the worst timing. And yes I know that you can't compare your situation to others. Just worried that people staying in their flight instructor seat longer due to the current climate will be yet another of many set backs for me in aviation. Wondering if maybe its a sign and the universe is saying, maybe aviation isn't for you, but a career in law enforcement is, maybe. Or maybe go back to school and get my Psy.d. At my age I don't have the time of someone in their early to middle twenty, or even thirties to just take a relaxed demeanor and say I can wait it out. Sixty-five is comin', if I'm fortunate to live that long in the current state of the world.

I want this career more than anything. It's what I've wanted to do all my life. Don't get me wrong my fall back career hasn't been too bad, with both valuable experience and financially and the prospect of law enforcement is both surprising and encouraging. But it’s still a side quest, that if things don't turn out well during the main quest, it might become the main quest. I'd think that I'd be somewhat happy... somewhat. But I'd always have the eating regret about "what if."
Keep at it bro! Remember you’re running your own race and not anyone else’s. It’s easy to look around you and see others where you want to be and beat yourself up.

From what I gathered when we talked at Keith’s memorial you’re close to the next step. Don’t settle especially if you think it’s something you’d always regret. You know how I feel about my current shop but I always smile when I’m in that seat. Who the hell let a kid from the hood behind the yoke of a 767. It was the same at Endeavor too, especially as a captain.

Also don’t get too wrapped up in what the doomsday crowd has to say. Every time Aero Crew News comes out with something folks act like society is going to be throwing piss out of windows and making babies just to farm the fields. We’ll be fine!

Sorry if I mispelled anything. I’m two jack and Coke Zero’s in while sitting outside watching suckers deviate to get into PHX.

It's all down hill from there. Next thing you know you're going to be playing X-Plane and flying an A321, from LAX-JFK. With Vatsim controllers on your off day. Wave off. Wave off.
IMG_3612.jpeg

It’s all perspective. If you live in base, personally, it looks great. If not, it’s pretty challenging.

One thing I didn’t mention about my schedule is the fact that 0% of my trips are commutable so for every block of days I start, I’m leaving the house a day before about 1400 to get to Detroit to be rested. My trip in on now is a six day, non-commutable on either end, $164/base stay because I’m bougjie and stay at the Westin at the airport, so I’m down $328 for this trip alone.

I go home tomorrow for a night and then head to Atlanta, over the Fourth of July, in order to be in the simulator the morning of the 5th. The I have a few days off before commuting back to Detroit to do a theee-day PVG with a OE pilot so my days off are reviewing and learning about the pilot so I’m able to custom tailor my approach to bringing him through OE. Even now, I had dinner, going to head back to the hotel to paperwork and first flight evaluations for my last OE pilot, off the clock, and have to flip my circadian rhythm over again, somehow get to bed in order to launch on a domestic leg tomorrow.

I’m not complaining. This is the reality of the business even in a top-rung job. Mid-seniority widebody captain.

But I love it and wouldn’t do anything else.

26 years in, I miss holidays, some weekends (which I can give less of a poop about), some birthdays, most events and most of my friendships are “remote”.

When it comes to sacrifice and a super healthy way to prioritize friends, family and even children, I heavily suggest having a chat with @ozziecat35. He had me rolling in laughter, amazed, impressed and full of respect for his work/life/family/friends/children balance.
$164 for the Westin?! Man, I should swap to Detroit when I get back.

Heh, last night was the first time I actually used flightradar 24 as entertainment.
Back in the MSP days, when the weather was especially foul of the snowy variety, I’d go home from a trip, grab a pizza and a bottle of wine from the grocery store across the way, then turn on LiveATC and listen to everyone “declare their intentions to return to the gate.”

1721181153517.gif

It's all down hill from there. Next thing you know you're going to be playing X-Plane and flying an A321, from LAX-JFK. With Vatsim controllers on your off day. Wave off. Wave off.

Youll be like me dude! Keep at it, seriously, our profession would be better with you having skin in the game. Congrats on the new job, just beware the golden handcuffs there if the sky is your goal. Im still eagerly awaiting the day when someone here sits right seat (eventually) or left seat for me…nothing would make me happier than you or the OP.

Back